ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Somebody's gotta have the inside scoop on Google Fiber launching tomorrow..?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261759)

Valiant 11-13-2015 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11879278)
It seems like the dropping-out has gotten better, but not fixed. JMO LMAO

This eye chart is an example. The first and second graph from the bottom show some drops by themselves around midnight, but when they all drop at the same time later, well that's an issue. And when my neighbor texted me this morning because he saw the same thing on his graphs, I double-checked it with this one and my other hardwired-to-the-GF network box system and yup, they all happened at the same time. It's all good, but it is happening nonetheless.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11...17fb1c49ba.jpg

Have you called them and given the graph to them?

Valiant 11-13-2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11874749)
So I live in West Shawnee. I'm signed up & everything. They say you have to be signed up by Nov 19th. I was kind of expecting install by the end of November but when I went to one of their pop-up Google Fiber booths, they said it would STILL BE 6-months or MORE until I can ACTUALLY get the service.

What the hell?

Does your area even have it out there yet? It took me a year to get it in the northland if i remember correctly. I was one of the first to sign up. That seems to me the m.o. for people that dont sign up during second allowance period.

phisherman 11-13-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11874749)
So I live in West Shawnee. I'm signed up & everything. They say you have to be signed up by Nov 19th. I was kind of expecting install by the end of November but when I went to one of their pop-up Google Fiber booths, they said it would STILL BE 6-months or MORE until I can ACTUALLY get the service.

What the hell?

Google makes all the "Fiberhoods" sign up before they put anything in the ground. We signed up in April and just got ours installed in the last few days.

GloryDayz 11-13-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 11879281)
Have you called them and given the graph to them?

Yes. They're both "looking into it" and "working on it."

It's kind of like calling AT&T to report a dead zone (I-435/350 Hwy), and them giving you the run-around hoping that you'll get frustrated and go away (but you don't/won't because you drop a conference all almost every day along that stretch of highway!). Hey, it's a free call and you've got a seven hour drive ahead of you anyway! You work relentlessly through their maze of engineers and ultimately make them verify that said dead zone is indeed dead/weak, then wait for the corporate excuse of, "yeah, we know, but it's too expensive to fix. Evidently that part of KC is very mountainous and the towers don't provide a good signal into that I-435/350 Hwy "valley" and we're not building another tower to cover one mile of road in KC"! LMAO

It's all good, I'm sure it's just growing pains (since they happen mostly off-hours), and I'm sure they're doing the best they can.

mnchiefsguy 12-04-2015 01:25 PM

Google Fiber just sent me an email saying it would be March 2016.

Today someone is out at my house installing the box on the outside. Installer told my wife we should be in installed in 5-10 days from today!

Hope that happens!

DRU 12-04-2015 02:19 PM

It's all sort of a crap shoot. They announce the area, then they do the signups to qualify the area for install, and then the install can take a long time. Depending on where exactly you are at you could be one of the first installs and get it real quick, or you could be at the end of the line and it'll be a while.

They also run into random problems sometimes that keeps areas, or even individual houses from getting hooked up. A buddy of mine just a couple of blocks from me still hasn't been hooked up when mine (and most others in this fiberhood) were hooked up about 6 months ago.

In that time it's been rock solid for me, by the way, and their customer service is outstanding. Their live chat actually answers questions for you as opposed to refer you to the phones. Anything from basic stuff to more technical stuff.

The one thing you have to watch out for is the 3rd party subcontractors they use for the installs. They don't care, and they **** shit up or simply do a lousy install.

When my stuff was first installed it was a random sub, and they barely buried the line. I could see it showing in lots of areas, so I called Google to have them come redo it.

This time they sent actual Google guys, and they were very informative, friendly, and buried the line the way it should have been in the first place.

Now, Google did have an outage 5 min before game 1 of the World Series this year that lasted about 20 min or so. I was pissed, but it was just bad timing.

One other time during the season the Fox KC channel wasn't working in HD but there was a standard channel that was still playing.

Those are the only two times anything like that has happened, and both times, without any contact at all, they sent out apology notices to all of the customers giving them a credit for that day.

All and all I've been very happy with him. Unfortunately, I'm about to move into a house that only provides Comcast. Ugh!

mnchiefsguy 12-10-2015 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 11926941)
Google Fiber just sent me an email saying it would be March 2016.

Today someone is out at my house installing the box on the outside. Installer told my wife we should be in installed in 5-10 days from today!

Hope that happens!

Got the email tonight from Google. Have scheduled my installation for the 15th! Now I just have to run some cat6 around the house! :D

Super Excited!

Aspengc8 12-11-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11879322)
Yes. They're both "looking into it" and "working on it."

It's kind of like calling AT&T to report a dead zone (I-435/350 Hwy), and them giving you the run-around hoping that you'll get frustrated and go away (but you don't/won't because you drop a conference all almost every day along that stretch of highway!). Hey, it's a free call and you've got a seven hour drive ahead of you anyway! You work relentlessly through their maze of engineers and ultimately make them verify that said dead zone is indeed dead/weak, then wait for the corporate excuse of, "yeah, we know, but it's too expensive to fix. Evidently that part of KC is very mountainous and the towers don't provide a good signal into that I-435/350 Hwy "valley" and we're not building another tower to cover one mile of road in KC"! LMAO

It's all good, I'm sure it's just growing pains (since they happen mostly off-hours), and I'm sure they're doing the best they can.

Network maintenances - there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately becuase as you scale GPON it takes small hits when you bring in more OLT's. Small interruptions like that(I cant really tell duration, graph is too small) shouldn't really be a big deal during off peak hours.

GloryDayz 12-11-2015 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 11944478)
Network maintenances - there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately becuase as you scale GPON it takes small hits when you bring in more OLT's. Small interruptions like that(I cant really tell duration, graph is too small) shouldn't really be a big deal during off peak hours.

Nobody died, so you're right there. My point in all of this is that you have to really want to jack-off over the daily speed test you'll run every morning for the first month. After that you find that unless you do so serious hosting of some sort, the difference between 60Mbps of, let's say, Time Warner cable and the 1000Mbps GF offers is, well, imperceptible.

So basically for now you're getting something that you needed to be coming off of something seriously slow or some serious file sharing, to see a huge leap in performance.

And when you compare the other areas like TV and Phone (GF doesn't offer a bundled phone service to teleworkers!), I don't think GF is even close yet.

Don't get me wrong, I was more giddy than most to get GF, I really was (networking is what I do... and I telework a LOT), but once I got it and got over the morning tests that show 800-900Mbps, I guess things like having to buy Ooma (or Vonage, or SmartJack), their streaming-to-the-PC offering sucks, not being able to stream at all via the App (whic is better than their PC offering) when away from home, started to bother me enough to not let the 800-900Mbps be the sole determinant of how awesome GF is.

The good news is even with Ooma factored in as an additional cost, GF is still a little cheaper that what I was paying for TWC. Other than the pluses of 900Mbps and $10 saved, meh, I'd rather have TWCs TV offering and 60Mbps (if I knew then what I know now). And if Time Warner drops their rates for 60Mbps of symetrical data, I'll go back to TWC and wait for GF to catch up in all those other areas if TWC sweetens the pot.

Mr. Laz 01-14-2016 06:13 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey, KC North. Sign-ups now back open. Check your availability and get started today. <a href="https://t.co/j69tSjVTcP">https://t.co/j69tSjVTcP</a> <a href="https://t.co/nxZyo9nPNz">pic.twitter.com/nxZyo9nPNz</a></p>&mdash; Google Fiber (@googlefiber) <a href="https://twitter.com/googlefiber/status/687727525817024512">January 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KevB 03-12-2016 01:50 PM

Guys ran the cable from the street to my house on Thursday. Instead of running it from the south side, where this is a connection at the street, they ran it from the far side all the way around and through my back yard from the connection in my neighbor's yard. Frustrating. That said, I assume that means I'll have Google Fiber in 5-10 days?

GloryDayz 03-12-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 12128078)
Guys ran the cable from the street to my house on Thursday. Instead of running it from the south side, where this is a connection at the street, they ran it from the far side all the way around and through my back yard from the connection in my neighbor's yard. Frustrating. That said, I assume that means I'll have Google Fiber in 5-10 days?

LOL, my neighbor feels just like you do... Now you'll setup the install date.

Make sure you let them know you want more than one drop in the house or you'll end up like me with them running only one. But it's all good, I got to teach the kids in the neighborhood about drill through floors, pulling cable, crimping RJ45s, and installing drops in walls. Lemons meet lemonade.

DaneMcCloud 03-12-2016 06:52 PM

Is anyone actually getting 1 gigabit per second?

I moved to 100 Mbps from 50 last week through Time Warner and it's awesome. I can jump to 300 for $20 more or 200 for $10 more.

I can't even imagine 1 gigabit.

Google fiber is supposedly coming to LA soon, although I highly doubt the infrastructure will be in place for my home any time soon.

hometeam 03-12-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12128625)

I moved to 100 Mbps from 50 last week through Time Warner and it's awesome. I can jump to 300 for $20 more or 200 for $10 more.

Google fiber is supposedly coming to LA soon, although I highly doubt the infrastructure will be in place for my home any time soon.

I almost am.. something like 950down/980up at best. You need to have a router than has enough real life WAN to LAN bandwidth to it.

I bought the linksys ea6900, but that was over a year ago, may be better WAN to LAN routers out there now.

Im also not on google fiber, but different gigabit fiber.

And yes, its real, and its fantastic.

http://images.tvfanatic.com/iu/s--QS...n-seinfeld.png

mnchiefsguy 03-12-2016 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Here is a speedtest I did a few weeks back....it is pretty close both up and down.

GloryDayz 03-12-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

I get 970Mbps up, and 980Mbps down on a wired connection, but that's to their testing locations. And considering the number of wireless connections people have on devices these days, "wired" is kind of rare (but it's what I have in my home office). Others who do a lot of Torrents seem to love it, but I don't so I can't speak to that.

All-in-all I've not seen it be any different in terms of day-to-day Internet experience from when Time Warner bumped me to 60Mbps, but on those mornings when I feel like it, I can run the test and feel better.

With what Time Warner is offering now, after the year is up I might go back to Time Warner if it costs less. From the previous channel that I think blows (because it doesn't record the previous channel while you were on the other channel, to the pic-in-a-pic that doesn't exist, to the "wireless in every TV box (that you need on every TV) that they wait until they install to tell you isn't really working yet (so you might not want to do it), to the remote being a slow dog (sometime 6 seconds for the TV box to respond).....since the Internet performance doesn't seem to be any better I'll probably make my decision on price and TV functionality.

But yes, you do get almost all of the Gig to the test sites.

mnchiefsguy 03-12-2016 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12128699)
I get 970Mbps up, and 980Mbps down on a wired connection, but that's to their testing locations. And considering the number of wireless connections people have on devices these days, "wired" is kind of rare (but it's what I have in my home office). Others who do a lot of Torrents seem to love it, but I don't so I can't speak to that.

All-in-all I've not seen it be any different in terms of day-to-day Internet experience from when Time Warner bumped me to 60Mbps, but on those mornings when I feel like it, I can run the test and feel better.

With what Time Warner is offering now, after the year is up I might go back to Time Warner if it costs less. From the previous channel that I think blows (because it doesn't record the previous channel while you were on the other channel, to the pic-in-a-pic that doesn't exist, to the "wireless in every TV box (that you need on every TV) that they wait until they install to tell you isn't really working yet (so you might not want to do it), to the remote being a slow dog (sometime 6 seconds for the TV box to respond).....since the Internet performance doesn't seem to be any better I'll probably make my decision on price and TV functionality.

But yes, you do get almost all of the Gig to the test sites.

We had 105MB down with Comcast before the fiber, and Netflix would often downgrade to less than 480p or buffer on a wired connection. We have a lot of wired and wireless devices in the house under heavy use, and we have noticed a difference. I streamed Netflix on 4 devices and was downloading other stuff as well just to try to max it out, and it handled everything great.

To each their own...the great thing about having competition for these services is that providers will have to innovate and provide better service to keep their customers.

It is certainly best to exam what your needs and expectations are and pick the provider that meets them. Now with cable companies, at&t, google fiber, etc. all trying for your business, it is the best time ever to get what you want and expect from these services.

GloryDayz 03-12-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12128764)
We had 105MB down with Comcast before the fiber, and Netflix would often downgrade to less than 480p or buffer on a wired connection. We have a lot of wired and wireless devices in the house under heavy use, and we have noticed a difference. I streamed Netflix on 4 devices and was downloading other stuff as well just to try to max it out, and it handled everything great.

To each their own...the great thing about having competition for these services is that providers will have to innovate and provide better service to keep their customers.

It is certainly best to exam what your needs and expectations are and pick the provider that meets them. Now with cable companies, at&t, google fiber, etc. all trying for your business, it is the best time ever to get what you want and expect from these services.

I stream Amazon, and I still get the occasional stall, but I've never streamed 4 at a time. Since it happened with 6Mbps and 60Mbps with Time Warner, and now with Google Fiber, I'm thinking the ISP wasn't the case in my case.

But you're right, to each their own. I was just expecting going from 60 to ~1000 to be an eye-opener.

I guess Time Warner was better than I thought. And if nothing else, I like how GF has made TW drop their rates.. LONG overdue.

Bearcat 03-12-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 12128764)

Yeah, Netflix has looked much better since I went to 100mbps with TWC... plus I have NHL GameCenter, so I can have a few games going at the same time without any issues (well, besides the new NHL.tv being shit).

My dad recently got Fiber and I watched the Big 12 Championship there earlier... great picture, there were some minor annoyances, like all the wasted space when viewing the guide with the useless 1x1 picture in the corner, he went back 10 seconds at one point and it jumped back like 10 minutes... but, I'd expect things like that to get better over time.

Overall though, they've already done what they set out to do... TWC and others have taken their foot off the hose and can all of a sudden afford to offer 100mbps+... weird how quickly that happens when customers flock elsewhere.

WhawhaWhat 04-12-2016 06:29 AM

Google Fiber is ending a free-Internet offer in its first city

Quote:

When Google Fiber first arrived, it came with a compelling pitch: Pay a one-time construction fee, and you get Internet access for free after that.

Now Fiber is dropping that option for new subscribers in Kansas City, its first market. In its place are two new plans: A faster option, Fiber 100, that costs $50 per month with no construction fee or contract; and a broader implementation of its agenda to wire economically underserved neighborhoods for free.

It’s unclear what Fiber’s exact motivation is here. A rep confirmed the pricing changes, but declined to comment further.

GloryDayz 04-12-2016 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12174147)

Prolly need the coin to fund the effort to fix their remote control-to-TV box lag issues.

Perhaps to up-spend on contracts so that you can stream at least a few things when not at home!

Maybe to fund a fix so you can really enable WiFi on all the TV boxes without hearing them say, "well we really don't recommend doing that quite yet."

Or maybe to fund having 5Ghz wireless in the TV box too.

I know, perhaps to fund a real Picture in a Picture feature...

LOL, it's all good..

Pasta Little Brioni 04-12-2016 07:20 AM

Lulz Glory be regretting it looks like

srvy 04-12-2016 08:08 AM

Glory is not a happy google fiber customer.

Like Bwana you have a rabbit problem. Your is just the technicolor kind.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Valiant 04-12-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12174154)
Prolly need the coin to fund the effort to fix their remote control-to-TV box lag issues.

Perhaps to up-spend on contracts so that you can stream at least a few things when not at home!

Maybe to fund a fix so you can really enable WiFi on all the TV boxes without hearing them say, "well we really don't recommend doing that quite yet."

Or maybe to fund having 5Ghz wireless in the TV box too.

I know, perhaps to fund a real Picture in a Picture feature...

LOL, it's all good..

Or to fund all the people they will be giving it free to. I am sorry but that is ****ed up. Same for when obama switched free phone service to include cellphones.

Too many of the people game the system. My own shithead family does it. We cant pay for internet. But have enough money for rims on a shit vehicle, weed, smokes and alcohol.

/rantover

KevB 04-12-2016 09:15 AM

Getting Fiber installed right now. I have a Logitech Harmony remote on main TV, so hopefully the remote to box issue isn't a big deal for me (other 2 TVs are watched less).

Don't care about PIP, we'll see about the TV box as a wifi extender and whether the Network Box covers my entire house. I will miss having AMC.

For me, internet speed, whole home DVR and price were my incentive to move from TWC.

srvy 04-12-2016 09:43 AM

The fiber 100 for $50 seems like pretty good deal because for the life of me I cant figure how a family needs the 1000 plan. I may be wrong convince me. I dont want the TV I cut the cord and stream.

GloryDayz 04-12-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12174177)
Lulz Glory be regretting it looks like

No regrets, just not going to fawn based on the 940M-up/920M-down test you do every morning for the first month. After that you realize CP is no faster, so what's the point, right? LMAO

Once you compare the features and real-life Internet performance beyond that, unless you torrent, they're just another ISP. But I will say it does sound like Comcast is far worse than I ever imagined, and tons worse that Time Warner. I never suffered Comcast, so that's good news.

If Time Warner drops their price even more (already less that GF as I'm seeing), I'll have no issues going back.

GF's greatest benefit was that they offered competition, and for that I thank them endlessly.

DaneMcCloud 04-12-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12174380)
The fiber 100 for $50 seems like pretty good deal because for the life of me I cant figure how a family needs the 1000 plan. I may be wrong convince me. I dont want the TV I cut the cord and stream.

I wish that Google Fiber was available in Los Angeles, as we'd eat up the 1,000 plan.

All of my work is uploaded to various servers and it's usually several gigabytes. My wife struggles to log into her office server to do any work from home because we're only 10 up and 100 down. The best offer from TWC is 20 up and 300 down, which really doesn't help our situation much.

1,000/1,000 would be amazing.

srvy 04-12-2016 01:18 PM

Yes for the work you do its perfect. For most its overkill I think. Most people wouldn't need that kind of bandwidth. Maybe in future but now no.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DaneMcCloud 04-12-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12174700)
Yes for the work you do its perfect. For most its overkill I think. Most people wouldn't need that kind of bandwidth. Maybe in future but now no.

Yeah, that makes sense. Our current 10/100 is pretty damn fast and we're able to have several devices and computers connected wirelessly, along with streaming a couple of Roku devices, without issue.

1,000 would be awesome for uploads and streaming video conferences.

GloryDayz 04-12-2016 01:55 PM

When in town I telework 80 percent of the time, relative to a SOHO router hitting any of the gateways we VPN into, the difference between TWC's "Ultimate" offering (which they moved us to at no charge in hopes that we'd not got to GF) and GF has been undetectable for that part of my life.

Dane would indeed benefit from the full Gig with what he describes, but again, few people have that need.

Dane, you could move back to KC... :D

GloryDayz 04-13-2016 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an example I've recreated... I'm downloading (again) some offline maps, and it's pretty clear that that in reality you might not get many of those 1000Mbps that GF is capable of. This show ~31Mbps for a real-life download - nowhere close to using the Gig. And I'm not confusing bits and bytes! It's not that it's GF's fault, it's just most of the sites (Microsoft in this case) around the Interwebz just aren't offering those kinds of speeds.

And then there's the lag-ass remote control, no PiP, and not "real" phone offering!! :D:D:D

BWillie 04-13-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12174147)

God damn it. That is why I was so excited, to have a second internet connection, basically free.

BWillie 04-13-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12174685)
No regrets, just not going to fawn based on the 940M-up/920M-down test you do every morning for the first month. After that you realize CP is no faster, so what's the point, right? LMAO

Once you compare the features and real-life Internet performance beyond that, unless you torrent, they're just another ISP. But I will say it does sound like Comcast is far worse than I ever imagined, and tons worse that Time Warner. I never suffered Comcast, so that's good news.

If Time Warner drops their price even more (already less that GF as I'm seeing), I'll have no issues going back.

GF's greatest benefit was that they offered competition, and for that I thank them endlessly.

Comcast is worse customer service but their product is much better than Time Warner. I pay $105 for the same service but 3x as fast internet at my Olathe house and $178 for Time Warner for the same service but worse internet, worse DVRs at my Shawnee house.

hometeam 04-13-2016 10:34 AM

v
Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12175906)
Here's an example I've recreated... I'm downloading (again) some offline maps, and it's pretty clear that that in reality you might not get many of those 1000Mbps that GF is capable of. This show ~31Mbps for a real-life download - nowhere close to using the Gig. And I'm not confusing bits and bytes! It's not that it's GF's fault, it's just most of the sites (Microsoft in this case) around the Interwebz just aren't offering those kinds of speeds.

And then there's the lag-ass remote control, no PiP, and not "real" phone offering!! :D:D:D

Hell, a single HDD cant even write as fast as the connection can take.

with my fiber I can get 60+ MBPS from a single steam connection, while streaming 1080p to multiple sources, while watching twitch, while playing an online game.

So, depending on what you do, there is usefulness to the gig service.

edit: also, i dont really hae anything to say about phone or tv service via google, as i do not have google fiber, but different gig service.

GloryDayz 04-13-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12176182)
v

with my fiber I can get 60+ MBPS from a single steam connection, while streaming 1080p to multiple sources, while watching twitch, while playing an online game.

edit: also, i dont really hae anything to say about phone or tv service via google, as i do not have google fiber, but different gig service.

Oh, we all get it (we're all nerds in this thread I suspect), but it ain't the HDD I/O in this case, it's either Microsoft or Al Gore.

Perhaps it's because it's using TCP instead of UDP... :hmmm:

Dr. Gigglepants 04-26-2016 09:27 PM

The "current" tab of the DVR is telling me there is no content currently available. I wonder if the hard drive in the network box took a shit? The storage meter still says 74% free, so the hard drive still seems to have some functionality to it. Anyone else experience this yet?

I also had 67 messages in the "manage" tab of the DVR, after I deleted them I immediately had 3 more. My internet still works so the network box is still working I guess, but something with the DVR is jacked up right now it seems.

GloryDayz 04-26-2016 09:53 PM

Looks like Google Fiber just went tits up..

GloryDayz 04-26-2016 09:54 PM

It's back.

GloryDayz 04-26-2016 10:07 PM

Jesus Christ. The Royals game keeps skipping back to the 1st and 2nd inning!

WHAT THE **** GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Gigglepants 04-26-2016 10:10 PM

Yep, every time the emergency alert comes on. It's so seamless too. Sneaky as shit
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie 04-27-2016 12:07 AM

No problems here on Time Warner.

Mr. Laz 04-27-2016 09:18 AM

Each time we get anything harder than a sprinkle, Directv ****s up.

rain fade is just terrible, i don't see how Directv is going to compete in the future after fiber optics really develops.

DaneMcCloud 04-27-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12197256)
Each we get anything harder than a sprinkle, Directv ****s up.

rain fade is just terrible, i don't see how Directv is going to compete in the future after fiber optics really develop.

From my understanding, DTV is developing new technology in which satellite dishes will no longer be necessary.

You can also download the DTV app, which will stream every channel. Or, as I've recently done, replace the DTV DVR's with a Roku box. With Roku, I can download and sign into as many as 55 Direct TV channels including ABC, Fox, NBC, HBO, Showtime, Starz!, Encore, History, etc. and so on.

I haven't had issue with Direct TV signal since 2003 and that was only for a few minutes. Do you have the latest dish and hardware?

Mr. Laz 04-27-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12197345)
Do you have the latest dish and hardware?

I assume so since we upgrade to HD in 2014.

new receivers and dish

Had techs out several times this year and they changed out some of the wiring and all of the connectors. Even got a new switch box last year.

DaneMcCloud 04-27-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12197406)
I assume so since we upgrade to HD in 2014.

new receivers and dish

Had techs out several times this year and they changed out some of the wiring and all of the connectors. Even got a new switch box last year.

That sucks, man. Maybe it's because of our geographical location but even in the heaviest El Nino rains, my signal has never dropped.

Mr. Laz 04-27-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12197457)
That sucks, man. Maybe it's because of our geographical location but even in the heaviest El Nino rains, my signal has never dropped.

T.V. signal tells us when the rain is coming. LMAO

T.V. signal goes out ... about 2 minutes until the rain reaches the ground.

anything more than a sprinkle

It's only a question of how long the signal goes out, not if.

Stewie 04-27-2016 01:54 PM

I've had DTV for years and never had any problems. My next door neighbor got it last year and it's been a real headache. They've been out several times to switch things out and it doesn't help. They lose signal and their DVR will suddenly reboot while watching a program. It's weird.

The difference between our systems is that I have receivers that are about five years old and everything is hardwired. My neighbor has the latest and greatest and runs wireless.

Stewie 05-26-2016 12:58 PM

I just had Google Fiber installed today. I'm just doing the basic Internet for now (wanted the box/line run for starters), but so far so good. The guys that did the installation were very professional and had me online in about 45 minutes from the time they knocked on the door. Not bad.

BigBeauford 05-26-2016 01:02 PM

Just had it installed out here in western Shawnee. It's decent, and the upload speeds are amazing. However if you have a larger place, I suggest sticking with a good router. I was only getting about 7-10 Mbs when I was upstairs (just using the 100 Mbs plan).

KevB 06-08-2016 02:55 PM

Just got an email from Google Fiber ..... they've reached agreement with AMC and it will now be carried as part of their normal channel lineup. Couldn't be happier, lots of good shows on AMC.

Sorce 07-13-2016 12:43 PM

Just got an e-mail that it is coming to Raymore so wohoo, probably be like 2 years before I can actually sign up.

Dayze 07-13-2016 01:23 PM

I'm in the project. Belton raymore is being built now. Just started.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sorce 07-14-2016 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12313992)
I'm in the project. Belton raymore is being built now. Just started.

Any idea how long they think it will take, talking to a guy from OP he said probably a year till signups based on when they announced it there and then he got to sign up.

Dartgod 07-14-2016 06:06 AM

I punched in my Belton address and it said signups were coming soon. I'm locked in to DTV for the next year and a half though. I suppose it might be ready then.

jiveturkey 07-14-2016 07:47 AM

My neighborhood in OP is in the middle of signups. They gave us 6 weeks to hit our goal and we did it in 12 hours.

How long after the sign up period does it take to get installation going?

kepp 07-14-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 12315014)
My neighborhood in OP is in the middle of signups. They gave us 6 weeks to hit our goal and we did it in 12 hours.

It took a good 9 months after I signed up to get the installation. They have to build everything out first. Unless they've changed how they do it, you'll be waiting a while.

ZootedGranny 07-14-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

I'm in Prairie Village, where signups ended May 19th. Just yesterday a crew ran the drop from the pole to my house. Just waiting for it to be terminated inside the NIU before I can schedule my install, so hopefully that happens in the next couple of weeks.

If I remember the timeline correctly, they built out the infrastructure in my area towards the end of winter, installed the convergence cabinets in early spring and then ran aerial lines shortly afterwards. Signups started the first week of April.

Considering I got an email in early June that said they expected home installations for my fiberhood to be complete at the end of winter 2016, I'm happy with the relatively quick turnaround.

Dayze 07-14-2016 01:42 PM

They're just now starting the backbone in Belton Raymore. That will feed all the cabinets which will then feed the NIUs/homes. Pronably finish the backbone towards the end of this year.

Mr. Laz 07-14-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Corporate Woods needs to get it's shit together, don't want it slowing the northward path towards us.

Al Bundy 07-14-2016 06:18 PM

They were doing signups a couple of weeks ago at the Price Chopper at 119th and Metcalf, but none were for neighborhoods around there.

GloryDayz 08-07-2016 12:02 PM

It looks like GF has given into the pressure to offer a "real phone" offering. That's good news..

https://fiber.google.com/phone/

It looks like it isn't (yet) built into the network box but I'm sure it'll get there.

http://www.technology-geek.com/attac...phone-box.jpeg
I'm happy with Ooma @ ~$4.00 a month (even though the Telo box did cost $99'ish), but it's nice to see Google coming into reality for serious teleworkers.

srvy 08-07-2016 12:11 PM

Hmmmm looks perfect for some eaves dropping. I wonder if it has the something bad said against Hilliary filter.

GloryDayz 08-07-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 12355754)
Hmmmm looks perfect for some eaves dropping. I wonder if it has the something bad said against Hilliary filter.

I count on the NSA to backup all of my conversations.

Pants 08-09-2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 12176182)
v

I know I'm super late to the party, but I just got Google Fiber a couple weeks back. I also built a new computer so had to re-download my Steam games.

The 4-5 GB games would finish downloading way before the DL speeds could even peak. I think I may have reached a peak at 99.4 MBPS on a 9GB game. I am not sure, though, because that was towards the latter part of of the DL.

Our kids are going to be beyond spoiled. I mean, personally, I feel like, in some respects, this is almost as much of a jump for me as was going from dial up to cable. In the very near future, it will be almost incomprehensible that downloading large files used to take a little bit of patience.

I never had any issues with XFINITY, but this is obviously some next level shit. I mean I was downloading games from Steam in under a minute.

Mr. Laz 08-09-2016 02:16 PM

Central JoCo and several other new signups are open now.

Central O.P. etc are up next

Spott 08-09-2016 05:43 PM

Those bastards use some very cheap labor to put their conduits in. These dudes appear to be day labor folks that they are getting from some temp agencies. I am not sure how they have done it, but they have gotten around getting permits to run bores along major roadways and are basically just digging where ever they want here without worrying about what they hit. They've knocked out 5 or 6 of our big cables in the last two weeks because they don't feel the need to get locates before digging.

Dayze 08-09-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 12359730)
Those bastards use some very cheap labor to put their conduits in. These dudes appear to be day labor folks that they are getting from some temp agencies. I am not sure how they have done it, but they have gotten around getting permits to run bores along major roadways and are basically just digging where ever they want here without worrying about what they hit. They've knocked out 5 or 6 of our big cables in the last two weeks because they don't feel the need to get locates before digging.

This is true, with regard to the labor. Unfortunately I know first hand.

GloryDayz 08-09-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 12359730)

I got the lower part of my driveway replaced due to their not-so-awesome contract labor.

Spott 08-09-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12359793)
I got the lower part of my driveway replaced due to their not-so-awesome contract labor.

I have come across a few of them and I can tell that their hiring standards are pretty subpar. They have also managed to knock out a few red light cameras in city, so I can't say their work is all bad.

GloryDayz 08-09-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 12359803)
I have come across a few of them and I can tell that their hiring standards are pretty subpar. They have also managed to knock out a few red light cameras in city, so I can't say their work is all bad.

In my neighborhood they hit two gas lines, jacked-up my driveway, hit at least 3 water lines, and caused a power outage.

Spott 08-09-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12359813)
In my neighborhood they hit two gas lines, jacked-up my driveway, hit at least 3 water lines, and caused a power outage.

I don't know how they are allowed to keep doing that kind of crap, unless they don't care about the fines and damages that they are having to pay every time they tear something up. I am awaiting the day that my power will be knocked out by these reeruns. Undoubtedly it will either be during a Chiefs game or on the hottest or coldest day of the year.

GloryDayz 08-09-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 12359839)
I don't know how they are allowed to keep doing that kind of crap, unless they don't care about the fines and damages that they are having to pay every time they tear something up. I am awaiting the day that my power will be knocked out by these reeruns. Undoubtedly it will either be during a Chiefs game or on the hottest or coldest day of the year.

Bad/missed markings, rushing, and some bad luck.

Pants 08-11-2016 12:14 AM

30 gigs in 6 minutes. Peaked at 104 MB/s. So worth it...

http://i65.tinypic.com/afbx1x.png

|Zach| 08-11-2016 12:26 AM

Live in midtown Kansas City I have not done a speed test with it in a while. Takes care of everything I need love having it.

Nickhead 08-11-2016 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 12359839)

solar bro :D just kidding.. google NBN :toast:

tx4chiefs 08-11-2016 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones (Post 8767607)
All I can say is...

I can't tell you a damn thing :D

HaHa, that would be my answer, also. Wish I had it in my area though.

scho63 08-11-2016 05:38 AM

How dramatic is the Google Fiber speed?

I've heard this has drawn in quite a large amount of tech companies into the area. Is that true?

GloryDayz 08-11-2016 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12362214)
How dramatic is the Google Fiber speed?

I've heard this has drawn in quite a large amount of tech companies into the area. Is that true?

It's almost a full gig, so that impressive if you do a lot of downloading (torrents and other such stuff). My experience is that with day-to-day activities like vpn into the office, and casual Internet surfing, there's no real difference between GF and TWC 60Mbps (what we had before going to GF) in terms of real-life experiences. We stream movies from both Netflix and Amazon, and both performed the same with TWC then as they do now with GF.

In reality you find out quickly how wireless we've become... While I have 2 wired devices in my house (a soho router in my home office, and one home pc), everything else is wireless, and most of my neighbors are 100% wireless, so the gig thing doesn't come into play with them very often. Ya can't blame GF for that though. And, because of that, the "wireless out of every box" is nice, but still needs some work IMO. It works, but they even warned us that it's not exactly perfect when they did our install. And it would be nice if the TV boxes would offer both 2.4g and 5g like the network box. In my case we've had to place the network box near the center of the house on the middle floor in hopes of getting 5g in most places inside the house, so only one TV box in the farthest bedroom is doing the AP thing.

I was pissed that they didn't offer phone service (I teleworking a lot and cell phones suck as an office business phone IMO), but it looks like they just solved that. Oh well, I'm an Ooma person now.

On the TV side, the remote sucks balls, but it's TV. But I love the custom guide deal. Really helpful during the Olympics.

The rest is just normal stuff.

But I just checked and the speed test was 972 down and 980 up, so there's that.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)

Mr. Laz 08-11-2016 12:57 PM

If a DVR hard drive starts going bad can you backup your DVR stuff to the Google Cloud drive so you don't lose it as you switch to new DVR.