ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Hydrae 03-26-2009 11:39 AM

Currently: Michael Crichton - State of Fear

last read: Richard North Patterson - Balance of Power

Balance of Power was an interesting look into some of the arguments for and against gun control as well as a somewhat (for me at least) disturbing look at how things work in D.C. Very good read as long as you can get past the first 100 pages or so, it starts really slowly.

DaKCMan AP 03-26-2009 11:45 AM

Oh, since I was stuck without a selected book to take on the last business trip I grabbed McNally's Chance by Vincent Lardo off my shelf - not sure how it got there. I'm about half way through it. Different from what I normally read, but the lead character reminds me of our own Simply Red for some reason.

Miles 03-28-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5611354)
Finished up all the Song of Fire and Ice series, and I'm not wondering why the next one hasn't come out yet? Come on Martin! Get on it!

I just joined that crowed a few days ago as well. Guess it is supposed to be this fall, but fall 08' was apparently what he was shooting for this time last year.

NewChief 03-28-2009 06:32 AM

Picked up Ben Okri's The Famished Road. It won the Booker, so it should be good. I decided I need to read something a little bit more artsy after 4000 pages or so of gritty fantasy.

Sure-Oz 03-28-2009 08:36 AM

Finished Watchmen, loved it

HC_Chief 03-28-2009 09:01 AM

"Me of Little Faith" - Lewis Black

Reaper16 04-01-2009 08:52 AM

Post-colonial lit continued:

Anita Desai, Baumgarten's Bombay

sd4chiefs 04-03-2009 03:20 PM

I am reading 'One Second After' and it is scaring the hell out of me.

It is about the effect of an attack on the U.S.A. using an EMP(or rather three EMPs). The electro magnetic pulse ruins most electrical gadgets; computers and anything controlled by them, data storage, modern vehicles and planes, electricity generators,water supply, medical equipment, phones and radios.

I am thinking of stocking up on food and ammo.

Reaper16 04-03-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5631033)
Post-colonial lit continued:

Anita Desai, Baumgarten's Bombay

further continuations:

Anita Desai, Fasting, Feasting.

Coach 04-27-2009 06:50 AM

Purchased "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game" from amazon. I am anxious for it to get here so I can read it. Anyone ever read this? If so, what was your thought about it?

Delano 04-27-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 5718117)
Purchased "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game" from amazon. I am anxious for it to get here so I can read it. Anyone ever read this? If so, what was your thought about it?

Yes, I've read it.

It's been a while, but from what I recall, it's a very fast read and pretty damn interesting.

The background stuff about the NFL's evolution is pretty solid and Michael Oher's story is definitely interesting. I'll be rooting for Oher in Baltimore, as if that team needed any more help.

What is it missing? Vignettes about Collins' sexuality and development as a woman.

Braincase 04-27-2009 09:52 AM

"The Downhill Lie" by Carl Hiassen. Funniest book I've read in a long time. A writer returns to the game of golf after giving it up for 32 years.

keg in kc 04-27-2009 09:54 AM

I'm rereading the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix.

chiefs1111 04-28-2009 09:13 PM

Reading Lost Boy,Lost Girl by Peter Straub

Cannibal 04-28-2009 10:17 PM

"The Ax" by Donald Westlake.

chiefbowe82 04-28-2009 10:23 PM

Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

ziggysocki 05-07-2009 12:11 PM

Need a suggestion. I have been trying to broaden my literary horizons; lately I have read several classics, some fantasy, some sci-fi and I have always liked the canned horror type stuff. I have even done a western (that I saw here). I need a suggestion for something different. Different genre maybe that I have not been exposed to. The tastes of the people on the planet are pretty diverse and eclectic. Any suggestions?

blaise 05-07-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5747590)
Need a suggestion. I have been trying to broaden my literary horizons; lately I have read several classics, some fantasy, some sci-fi and I have always liked the canned horror type stuff. I have even done a western (that I saw here). I need a suggestion for something different. Different genre maybe that I have not been exposed to. The tastes of the people on the planet are pretty diverse and eclectic. Any suggestions?

I just read The Pillowman, by Martin McDonagh. It's a play, that's different. It's a quick read but it's very good. It's about a guy in a totalitarian state that gets interrogated by police because there have been murders that mimic some stories he'd written. Give it a read, it's good. They go into detail of what the stories were.
I would also recommend The Southpaw, by Mark Harris which is a fictional baseball book. Very well written. It's pretty widely respected. As well as You Know Me Al, by Ring Lardner- another fictional baseball book by a very good writer. It's a funny book, too. And I'll throw in another baseball book, The Natural, by Bernard Malamud. Much different than the film.

I would also say, Candide by Voltaire which is a funny satire. I would say to get one with footnotes because some of the jabs he takes aren't obvious unless you realize what he's referencing. And maybe a compilation of short stories by Anton Chekov.

Those are all good and fairly diverse I would say. I would recommend The Pillowman, definitely though. Most libraries will have a copy.

Edit- McDonagh, the guy that wrote The Pillowman, is the same guy that wrote the movie In Bruges. It's the same sort of dark humor. So if you've seen that and liked it, you'd probably like the play.

ziggysocki 05-07-2009 12:52 PM

Excellent blaise! I thank you for your suggestions, and I think I will start with The Pillowman. I haven't read a play in a long time, and it sounds entertaining.

DaKCMan AP 05-07-2009 01:14 PM

Just picked up Patriot Reign from the library. Should be an interesting, easy read.

Frazod 05-07-2009 01:23 PM

I'm reading the last (fifth) of the Thrawn Star Wars books. Entertaining read.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 02:21 PM

Just picked this up at Half-Price books:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Mission-S...2505215&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...hL._SL500_.jpg

Reaper16 05-16-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5747590)

Search my past posts in this thread.

KCChiefsMan 05-16-2009 02:30 PM

picked up The Road yesterday, by Cormac McCarthy. Started reading it a little bit before bed last night, I think I'm gonna enjoy this one. Plus the movie comes out this winter and will be even more excited to watch it.

Mojo Jojo 05-16-2009 02:37 PM

I just picked up "Make Love* *The Bruce Campbell Way" by Bruce Campbell. For those who don't know Bruce; he was in all "Evil Dead" movies as well as "Bubba Ho-Tep" and is currently on "Burn Notice". He is a very funny writer.

KcMizzou 05-16-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 5771278)
I just picked up "Make Love* *The Bruce Campbell Way" by Bruce Campbell. For those who don't know Bruce; he was in all "Evil Dead" movies as well as "Bubba Ho-Tep" and is currently on "Burn Notice". He is a very funny writer.

I'll have to check that out. I've got "If chins could kill : Confessions of a B movie actor"

NewChief 05-16-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 5718455)
"The Downhill Lie" by Carl Hiassen. Funniest book I've read in a long time. A writer returns to the game of golf after giving it up for 32 years.

Hiassen is one of my favorite popular authors. So funny and capable of creating some truly bizarre characters.

Been reading:
The Famished Road by Ben Okri (didn't like)
Blink by Gladwell (loved)
Falling Man by Don DeLillo (it's not White Noise, but it's very good).

Miles 05-16-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5771296)
I'll have to check that out. I've got "If chins could kill : Confessions of a B movie actor"

I haven't checked out either but there are also audio versions available where Campbell reads it himself.

NewChief 05-16-2009 07:33 PM

Oh, I also read the Majesty's Dragon series.

Alt.history of Napoleonic War with... dragons.

Pretty entertaining.

keg in kc 05-16-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5771939)

Pretty entertaining.

Naomi Novik?

I love that series. Temeraire.

NewChief 05-16-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 5771962)
Naomi Novik?

I love that series. Temeraire.

Yeah, those are the ones. Really cool, unique working of the dragons into the storyline. I actually quit at Black Powder War, but I'll probably finish the next one sometime later. Just got a little burnt out.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Pretty entertaining.

This is a good formula. Take something already awesome, add dragons. MEGA AWESOME!

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 07:48 PM

Holy shitballs. When is Hollywood going to read this?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...g?t=1242524907

NewChief 05-16-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5771998)
Holy shitballs. When is Hollywood going to read this?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...g?t=1242524907

Cool picture. The coolest part about the series is that dragons have basically become warships in their own rights. They have captains, flight crews, ground crews and such.. at least in Europe. In Asia, they're completely different. It's a really unique, cool workup of draconian culture that the author creates.

NewChief 05-16-2009 08:04 PM

BTW,

Just looked at the wikipedia page for the Temeraire series. Evidently Peter Jackson has the rights to the film and is planning on making the movies.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 08:05 PM

At least it's in good hands.

keg in kc 05-16-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5772056)
BTW,

Just looked at the wikipedia page for the Temeraire series. Evidently Peter Jackson has the rights to the film and is planning on making the movies.

Yeah, he's had the rights for a couple of years IIRC. That's actually what got me to read it in the first place (well, when I say "read" I mean "listen on audiobook").

It's a really well-done series, she brings you totally into that world.

KcMizzou 05-16-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Pretty entertaining.

Wow, I need to check into this.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 08:11 PM

What is it with us nerds and dragons?

WE ****ING LOVE DRAGONS

How many of you shelled out $7.50 for that Eragon shitfest? Show of hands?

keg in kc 05-16-2009 08:12 PM

I've never read any of those, although I did catch part of the movie on HBO some night.

Apparently the series is nothing at all more than a retelling of the original Star Wars trilogy...but with dragons!

The main selling point being "it was written by a teenager!"

Delano 05-16-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5771639)
Hiassen is one of my favorite popular authors. So funny and capable of creating some truly bizarre characters.

Been reading:
The Famished Road by Ben Okri (didn't like)
Blink by Gladwell (loved)
Falling Man by Don DeLillo (it's not White Noise, but it's very good).

What was your issue with The Famished Road?

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 5772073)
I've never read any of those, although I did catch part of the movie on HBO some night.

Apparently the series is nothing at all more than a retelling of the original Star Wars trilogy...but with dragons!

The main selling point being "it was written by a teenager!"

It has ****ing dragons.

They could retell "Pretty Woman" with Dragons, and I'd be there.

NewChief 05-16-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 5772080)
What was your issue with The Famished Road?

The surreal/magical moments didn't ever really make sense to me or point to any real deeper meaning/truth. I appreciated them, but they didn't seem to have any real substance to them. I know that I'm probably wrong in that, and if I'd bothered to read criticism and analysis of the novel, I'd probably have understood it better... that being said, I wasn't really in the mood for something in that vein when I was reading it.

KcMizzou 05-16-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5772084)
It has ****ing dragons.

They could retell "Pretty Woman" with Dragons, and I'd be there.

LMAO

Two things could improve "Pretty woman". Nudity and of course, dragons...

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5772106)
LMAO

Two things could improve "Pretty woman". Nudity and of course, dragons...

I want to see Costanza score if they remake it. Poor bastard.

boogblaster 05-17-2009 07:14 AM

Haven't read many books lately, but got this book while in the hospital .. the darwin Awards by Wendy Northcutt funny and true .....

Miles 05-18-2009 12:10 AM

Just finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro and thought it was pretty outstanding.

About to start reading Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk. I have been meaning to get around to his books for a while now and this will be the first of Palahniuk I have read.

HonestChieffan 05-18-2009 05:21 AM

Just finished "The Forgotten Man"...excellent well written historical look at the 30's Depression, the moves made by FDR and the people involved.

I would say read it...its a good read and in todays economy a lot of similarities.

NewChief 05-18-2009 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5773809)
Just finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro and thought it was pretty outstanding.

About to start reading Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk. I have been meaning to get around to his books for a while now and this will be the first of Palahniuk I have read.

I've only read Lullaby and Fight Club. I like his stuff, but I don't love it. His general hatred for all things human gets to me after a while.

irishjayhawk 06-15-2009 09:05 PM

Anyone ever read The Paradox of Choice by Barry Shwartz?

Brilliant book - highly recommended.

Reaper16 06-15-2009 09:06 PM

Michael Downs -- "House of Good Hope"

irishjayhawk 06-15-2009 09:09 PM

I guess I forgot my current books.

I'm reading 1984. Yes, the book I failed to read when it was assigned in high school.

And then after that going with James Rollins' The Last Oracle.

RJ 06-15-2009 09:20 PM

Tonight was Curious George Goes to the Movies.

We've read it a dozen or more times, but the classics never get old.

Mama Hip Rockets 06-15-2009 10:52 PM

cormac mccarthy - no country for old men

it is ****ing awesome.

Frosty 06-16-2009 07:09 AM

I gave up for now on the Wheel Of Time series. Too much spinning in place for far, far too long.

I just finished re-reading Terry Brooks' Word and Void trilogy so that I can start on his new Genesis of Shannara trilogy. Just started Armageddon's Children last night. Not exactly War and Peace but it's entertaining.

patteeu 06-16-2009 07:31 AM

I just finished Blind Side based on recommendations here and I thought it was quite entertaining/interesting.

I'm currently reading Douglas Feith's "War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism". It's a surprisingly well written, very interesting book that explains the Bush administration decision-making process from the point of view of a top official in the Pentagon. Feith explains the administration thinking on the GWoT in a way that the administration's communcations experts seemed incapable of doing for the better part of 8 years. He exposes many of the false allegations made against the Bush administration during that time but doesn't shy away from leveling criticism (including self-criticism) where he believes it's warranted.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

blaise 06-16-2009 07:45 AM

The last two things I read were both plays:
The Pillowman, by McDonagh and The Wild Duck, by Ibsen. Both were good for different reasons. I would recommend the Pillowman definitely though. Very imaginative with great dialogue and pretty intense.

HC_Chief 06-16-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5842067)

I'm reading 1984. Yes, the book I failed to read when it was assigned in high school.

Great book. My favorite by Orwell is <i>Animal Farm</i>, but 1984 is a close second.

Latest book I've been reading: <i>Atlas Shrugged</i>

Unfortunately someone else put it on hold at the library, so I cannot renew. Think I'll just buy a copy.

Lzen 06-16-2009 10:37 AM

Right now I am on A Canticle For Leibowitz (thanks for the suggestion, Adept Havelock). Unfortunately, the local library did not have this in a paper copy. I am listening to it on tape. That part sucks because the only place I have a consistent ability to listen to a tape is in my truck (yeah, they still built those with cassete players and cd players).

Baby Lee 06-16-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5842067)

When

Spoiler!

That was, though the reference didn't exist yet, the moment I wanted to put a book in the freezer like Joey did with Misery on Friends.

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:07 PM

Got two going right now -

The Last Oracle by James Rollins, and

The Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842882)
Got two going right now -

The Last Oracle by James Rollins, and

The Pysics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

You read?

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842883)
You read?

I have a Kindle. It reads to me.

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842896)
I have a Kindle. It reads to me.

I bet it does.

I
bet
it
does.

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842899)
I bet it does.

I
bet
it
does.

Gives me time to make sure I don't color outside the lines, and all.

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842906)
Gives me time to make sure I don't color outside the lines, and all.

I thought your cool mommy helped you with that?

ChiTown 06-16-2009 12:17 PM

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

&

Re-re--reading (for the 3rd time) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. What a great read.......

Bowser 06-16-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842911)
I thought your cool mommy helped you with that?

This conversation has come to a proverbial fork in the road. Instead of choosing which path to take (which both will undoubtedly lead to dark and bad places), I am going to take the Tao/Buddhist-like and Powerman 5000 stance, and pretend that None of it is Real.

Jilly 06-16-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5842923)
This conversation has come to a proverbial fork in the road. Instead of choosing which path to take (which both will undoubtedly lead to dark and bad places), I am going to take the Tao/Buddhist-like and Powerman 5000 stance, and pretend that None of it is Real.

You, friend, are such a chicken.

FYI - I currently am reading Same-Sex Marriage Pro and Con: A Reader, by Andrew Sullivan.

Doesn't that sound fun?

blaise 06-16-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5842933)
You, friend, are such a chicken.

FYI - I currently am reading Same-Sex Marriage Pro and Con: A Reader, by Andrew Sullivan.

Doesn't that sound fun?

Yep, a real gay old time.

Mr. Wizard 06-16-2009 12:27 PM

I'm not supposed to post because I am just a NooB but - MAN you people read some great books! I have a small library but now you've just cost me a lot of money on amazon used books to read some of these!

I personally just finished ;

Mountain Man: A Novel of Male and Female in the Early American West :rolleyes:
I was underwhelmed. However, since I am currently researching that time period in order to write "The Last Rendezvous", perhaps I my vision is clouded.

Lonesome Dove: A Novel (23rd time, I just keep going back to it) :) :) I love the way he brings a reader into the reality of the book.

Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors :clap: A GREAT READ :clap: You should try it :clap:

Long Duk Dong 06-16-2009 01:24 PM

"The Beautiful and the Damned" -- F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Curious Case of Benjamin Button" -- F. Scott Fitzgerald (haven't seen movie yet)

"Absalom, Absalom" -- William Faulkner

chiefs1111 06-21-2009 01:41 AM

Dan Simmons-Summer Of Night

ILChief 06-21-2009 01:19 PM

I'm reading Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. Pretty good book

mikeyis4dcats. 06-22-2009 02:40 PM

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I read it last night in a single 3 hour sitting. Cool story of a family's life as told by their dog, a self aware lab mix who dreams of being reincarnated as a race car driver.

Read it!

Miles 06-22-2009 11:39 PM

I have been on a Philip K Dick run as of late.

Ubik - Damn good.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Really enjoyed it but it did drag at times.
Time Out of Joint - About half way though and it has been ok but showing potential.

ChiefsFanatic 06-23-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 5842729)
Right now I am on A Canticle For Leibowitz (thanks for the suggestion, Adept Havelock). Unfortunately, the local library did not have this in a paper copy. I am listening to it on tape. That part sucks because the only place I have a consistent ability to listen to a tape is in my truck (yeah, they still built those with cassete players and cd players).

That is an amazing book, and would make a great movie if done by someone with a brain in their head.

ChiefsFanatic 06-23-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5771296)

My autographed copy of that book is one of my prized possessions. I wish Bruce could get the John Travolta treatment ala Quentin Tarantino.

NewChief 06-23-2009 08:04 PM

Finally got Neal Stephenson's System of the World from the library. It's been a couple of years since I read the first two in the Baroque Cycle, so I'm a little lost at this point. Looking forward to immersing in it, though. Love me some Stephenson.

Reaper16 06-23-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5842060)
Michael Downs -- "House of Good Hope"

Can't recommend this one enough.