ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Long Duk Dong 10-06-2008 06:32 PM

Just watched Hot Fuzz this past weekend....fuggin hilarious.

irishjayhawk 10-06-2008 06:36 PM

I'll be seeing Body of Lies tomorrow. Still gotta check out Religioulous, Nick and Norah, and Appolooza and Flash of Genius.

Long Duk Dong 10-06-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5089332)
I'll be seeing Body of Lies tomorrow. Still gotta check out Religioulous, Nick and Norah, and Appolooza and Flash of Genius.

Appolooza looks real good. I am looking forward to seeing that one.

irishjayhawk 10-07-2008 11:07 PM

Got back from Body of Lies. I'm not going to lie, I thought it was an above-average generic thriller.

Russell Crowe in perhaps his worst role yet because it's all done over the phone.

DiCaprio seemed stuck between Departed and Blood Diamond character wise. And I think that hurt.

Scott's direction was at least better than American Gangster, but a bag of poo was better than that.

In all, it was forgettable. It was generic to the nth degree. It was worth my price of admission: free. I'm not so sure I'd pay top dollar to see it.

DaneMcCloud 10-08-2008 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5093947)
In all, it was forgettable. It was generic to the nth degree. It was worth my price of admission: free. I'm not so sure I'd pay top dollar to see it.

I got all of that from the commercials.

I have a feeling that it won't open big or do any real numbers.

It looks generic.

On a side note, this is why Entourage works.

No one, no matter how successful, is immune to bad decisions and flops.

Deberg_1990 10-08-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5093947)
Got back from Body of Lies. I'm not going to lie, I thought it was an above-average generic thriller.

Russell Crowe in perhaps his worst role yet because it's all done over the phone.

DiCaprio seemed stuck between Departed and Blood Diamond character wise. And I think that hurt.

Scott's direction was at least better than American Gangster, but a bag of poo was better than that.

Doesnt look very good to me either.

I didnt even like it the first time when it was called: "Spy Game" with Redford and Pitt.

blaise 10-09-2008 09:52 AM

I notice no one saw Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna. I think it's fair to label it a bomb.

Frazod 10-09-2008 09:57 AM

If Spike Lee made a movie about me I wouldn't watch it. Noxious little prick.

L.A. Chieffan 10-09-2008 10:02 AM

It's extreme hit or miss with Spike. Inside Man and 25th hour I enjoyed very much, everything else is crap.

That's a bummer because Miracle looked kinda good from the previews.

Reerun_KC 10-09-2008 10:02 AM

How many have seen Appaloosa?

Frazod 10-09-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 5097430)
How many have seen Appaloosa?

I'm thinking about hitting that one this weekend. Looks excellent.

Reerun_KC 10-09-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5097433)
I'm thinking about hitting that one this weekend. Looks excellent.

The wife and I went to it last Sunday... Was going to discuss it, but will leave it until you watch it...

Frazod 10-09-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 5097434)
The wife and I went to it last Sunday... Was going to discuss it, but will leave it until you watch it...

Is it worth seeing in the theater?

Reerun_KC 10-09-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5097447)
Is it worth seeing in the theater?

Yeah and No.... It really is a good flick, but what really ruins a good western? You guessed it. A women...

Without saying much to spoil it, I would give it a B-...... The two lead actors are awesome, but there are somethings that make you say? WTF?

Deberg_1990 10-09-2008 10:13 AM

Anyone going to check out Oliver Stones "W" ?

Reerun_KC 10-09-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5097459)

that looks stupid as hell...

Typical propaganda bs that is just totally lame...

bestjersey 10-09-2008 10:25 AM

great

Deberg_1990 10-09-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 5097461)

You mean you dont trust Stone to deliver a fair and balanced portrayal of Bush? :)

PunkinDrublic 10-09-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Of course although it will be painful reliving the memories of one of the worst leaders in American history.

DJJasonp 10-09-2008 03:53 PM

Watched "Before the Devil Knows your dead" last night on blu-ray.

Pretty good....dirty though....what I mean by that is that almost every character is either shady, a liar, a cheater, etc. etc....

It's definitely not for everyone as it's not an uplifting movie by any means....but filled with some pretty damn good acting (specifically, Phillip Seymour Hoffman)...

And as a bonus....Marisa Tomei runs around nekked in many, many scenes!

PunkinDrublic 10-09-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 5098572)
Watched "Before the Devil Knows your dead" last night on blu-ray.

Pretty good....dirty though....what I mean by that is that almost every character is either shady, a liar, a cheater, etc. etc....

It's definitely not for everyone as it's not an uplifting movie by any means....but filled with some pretty damn good acting (specifically, Phillip Seymour Hoffman)...

And as a bonus....Marisa Tomei runs around nekked in many, many scenes!

Yeah the opening scene is pretty memorable.

NewChief 10-09-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

I watched Oliver on LKL, and Larry King was saying that he was surprised at how sympathetic the depiction of Bush was in the film.

Buehler445 10-09-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5097411)
I notice no one saw Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna. I think it's fair to label it a bomb.

That's what sucks about it. Saw the preview and thought, looks like a pretty sweet movie. Then I heard the part of the commercial about Spike Lee. No and thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 5097461)

My thoughts exactly.

Buehler445 10-09-2008 06:36 PM

I can't find the thread about it, so I'll post it in here. I watched No Country for Old Men. Maybe it was expectatoins. But I'm not a huge fan. Parts of it were well done, but the story just failed IMO. I'm obviously missing something.

Someone please explain the greater significance.

irishjayhawk 10-09-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5099033)
I can't find the thread about it, so I'll post it in here. I watched No Country for Old Men. Maybe it was expectatoins. But I'm not a huge fan. Parts of it were well done, but the story just failed IMO. I'm obviously missing something.

Someone please explain the greater significance.

First, has there really been a Cohen Bros film that has a truly, "greater significance"?

Second, the movie - and story for that matter - is clear. Evil will always exist and it tires the GOOD people who try to eradicate it.

Buehler445 10-09-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5099113)
First, has there really been a Cohen Bros film that has a truly, "greater significance"?

Second, the movie - and story for that matter - is clear. Evil will always exist and it tires the GOOD people who try to eradicate it.

That makes sense. Thanks.

KcMizzou 10-10-2008 11:31 PM

Just watched The Dark Knight again.

Downloaded it, illegally. But I'll buy the super-delux collectors edition when it comes out on DVD. (Honest)

Damn... I knew the movie kicked ass, but I'd forgotten just how much ass...

DaneMcCloud 10-10-2008 11:49 PM

I bought Iron Man and the extended version of "The Crapenning".

Haven't watch either yet.

KcMizzou 10-10-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5103195)

Iron Man's a hell of a lot of fun.

Buck 10-10-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5103170)
Just watched The Dark Knight again.

Downloaded it, illegally. But I'll buy the super-delux collectors edition when it comes out on DVD. (Honest)

Damn... I knew the movie kicked ass, but I'd forgotten just how much ass...

Upgrade to Blu-Ray you'll thank me later.

luv 10-10-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Why on earth did you buy The Happening? It sucked, IMO.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 5103202)
Why on earth did you buy The Happening? It sucked, IMO.

I knew someone was going to ask that question.

Several reasons:

1. I want to see it "suck" for myself. I don't like anyone interpreting a movie for me. And I knew long before most people knew that the movie would suck because I read the original script. But I still needed to see it to believe it.

2. I wanted to hear the score. That's very important to me.

3. It was on sale for $13 and I figured that I'd better buy it now. Working in this town, someone always references something and I didn't want to be left in the dark.

4. I look like a dickweed if I ask for a free copy.

KcMizzou 10-11-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5103215)
I knew someone was going to ask that question.

Several reasons:

1. I want to see it "suck" for myself. I don't like anyone interpreting a movie for me. And I knew long before most people knew that the movie would suck because I read the original script. But I still needed to see it to believe it.

2. I wanted to hear the score. That's very important to me.

3. It was on sale for $13 and I figured that I'd better buy it now. Working in this town, someone always references something and I didn't want to be left in the dark.

4. I look like a dickweed if I ask for a free copy.

Understandable.

FWIW, I still want to see it too, for some odd reason.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5103220)
Understandable.

I'm about 95% certain it's gonna suck but I want to see why it sucks.

Morbid curiosity, I guess.

Buck 10-11-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5103225)

I will probably watch it too, but I dont know about buying it now....could probably get it a year down the road for $3 on amazon.

luv 10-11-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5103225)

Nothing ever really develops. Nothing gets fully explained. The dialogue sounds forced. Too many little things that were supposed to define the main plot never got explained. It left me hanging, and not in a good way (movie-wise).

I do think it's one you have to see for yourself, though. I would just try to spend as little money on it as possible.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5103227)
I will probably watch it too, but I dont know about buying it now....could probably get it a year down the road for $3 on amazon.

Of course.

I could wait a few weeks and get it at Blockbuster when they run another 3 for $20 deal but I figured, what the hell?

The extra hour intrigues me as well.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 5103230)
Nothing ever really develops. Nothing gets fully explained. The dialogue sounds forced. Too many little things that were supposed to define the main plot never got explained. It left me hanging, and not in a good way (movie-wise).

I do think it's one you have to see for yourself, though. I would just try to spend as little money on it as possible.

Thanks. :)

Hopefully, the extra hour helps

Buck 10-11-2008 12:18 AM

Ok, only 2 Shymalan Movies I can stand are The Sixth Sense and Signs

TrickyNicky 10-11-2008 12:27 AM

So, Halloween is almost upon us. Any suggestions for mood viewing?

If it has to do with zombies, I've probably already seen it, so lets put those aside for now. Same with the Saws and the new age Japan remakes.

Buck 10-11-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 5103250)
So, Halloween is almost upon us. Any suggestions for mood viewing?

If it has to do with zombies, I've probably already seen it, so lets put those aside for now. Same with the Saws and the new age Japan remakes.

Have you seen Slither? Its fun.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5103239)

Unbreakable is his finest film by far

luv 10-11-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5103272)
Unbreakable is his finest film by far

What about Woman of the Water, or whatever that one was called? I've heard it's good, but haven't seen it.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 5103274)
What about Woman of the Water, or whatever that one was called? I've heard it's good, but haven't seen it.

I liked Lady in Water quite a bit (more than The Village).

I don't want to spoil anything so my advice would be to watch it and form your own opinion.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't want to influence your opinion, one way or the other.

TrickyNicky 10-11-2008 12:46 AM

Lady in the Water is decent. If you like Giamatti, you will probably like it.

irishjayhawk 10-11-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 5103277)
Lady in the Water is decent. If you like Giamatti, you will probably like it.

I wish.

Fire Me Boy! 10-11-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5103239)

Signs? Seriously? I wanted my money back. And I saw it for free. That is the only movie I can think of in my recent history that actually got worse with time.

I reviewed it. And whenever I wrote reviews I always "stewed" on the film for a bit. Let it linger. I wanted to give it time to work in my mind.

Normally, any bad movie gets better in my head. Not to mean it gets "good"... but I usually start finding things that make it redeemable.

Signs is the only movie I can remember that got worse. I disliked it in the theater. Two days later I despised it.

Unbreakable is his best work, hands down (IMHO).

Buck 10-11-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5103387)
Signs? Seriously? I wanted my money back. And I saw it for free. That is the only movie I can think of in my recent history that actually got worse with time.

I reviewed it. And whenever I wrote reviews I always "stewed" on the film for a bit. Let it linger. I wanted to give it time to work in my mind.

Normally, any bad movie gets better in my head. Not to mean it gets "good"... but I usually start finding things that make it redeemable.

Signs is the only movie I can remember that got worse. I disliked it in the theater. Two days later I despised it.

LOL, to each his own.

I couldn't stand Unbreakable....It was like they tried to take the first 20 minutes of a comic book movie and stretch it out over 2 hours....

Lady in the Water sucked, the Village Sucked, whatever else sucked.

Deberg_1990 10-11-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5103387)

You know the thing about M Night is,

Hes an excellent director. His films always look great. He knows how to build tension and suspense and the performances he gets are usually top notch.

If he would just stop writing he would be alot better off.

Buehler445 10-11-2008 10:14 AM

I watched Knocked Up last night. There were some funny parts, but I have to say that I was not impressed.

BUT

I think it is because I take children very seriously. More importantly, I've seen children coming from bad decisions, and they rarely turn out happily ever after like everyone could see coming. I guess what I'm getting at is that I couldn't get into a comedic mood with children's lives at stake. I guess I need to chill out and check my brain, but I couldn't get it done.

That being said, there was some comedy gold hidden in there.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5103634)
I watched Knocked Up last night. There were some funny parts, but I have to say that I was not impressed.

BUT

I think it is because I take children very seriously. More importantly, I've seen children coming from bad decisions, and they rarely turn out happily ever after like everyone could see coming. I guess what I'm getting at is that I couldn't get into a comedic mood with children's lives at stake. I guess I need to chill out and check my brain, but I couldn't get it done.

That being said, there was some comedy gold hidden in there.

I saw it just as my wife got pregnant with our first child. We were about 6 weeks into the pregnancy when it was released on DVD.

Suffice to say, I found it extremely unfunny at the time, especially the scenes with the gyno, the books, etc.

Having watched it several times on HBO this past summer, I have a greater appreciation for the film but outside of a few scenes, it's clearly at the bottom of the Apatow file for me.

Superbad is about 10 million times as funny IMO.

Deberg_1990 10-11-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5103754)
I saw it just as my wife got pregnant with our first child. We were about 6 weeks into the pregnancy when it was released on DVD.

Suffice to say, I found it extremely unfunny at the time, especially the scenes with the gyno, the books, etc.

Having watched it several times on HBO this past summer, I have a greater appreciation for the film but outside of a few scenes, it's clearly at the bottom of the Apatow file for me.

I like it, but i cant stand the Leslie Mann character. She just annoyed the heck out of me.

irishjayhawk 10-11-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5103754)

How would you rate them?

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5104665)
How would you rate them?

Well, that depends. Are you asking me "overall", as in movies he's been associated with as a producer, director or writer? Or broken down by those categories?

irishjayhawk 10-11-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5104854)
Well, that depends. Are you asking me "overall", as in movies he's been associated with as a producer, director or writer? Or broken down by those categories?

Eh, I wondered if you'd ask that.

I mean like Superbad, 40YOV, Knocked Up, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Buehler445 10-11-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5105135)
Eh, I wondered if you'd ask that.

I mean like Superbad, 40YOV, Knocked Up, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Is Forgetting Sarah Marshall any good? I would give my left leg for 10 minutes in the sack with Mila Kunis.

irishjayhawk 10-11-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5105181)
Is Forgetting Sarah Marshall any good? I would give my left leg for 10 minutes in the sack with Mila Kunis.

Yeah, it's good. And Kunis is hot as hell in it.

Captain Obvious 10-11-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5105181)

I saw it last night and it cracked me up.

Buehler445 10-11-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5105191)
Yeah, it's good. And Kunis is hot as hell in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 5105196)
I saw it last night and it cracked me up.

I'm gonna have to pick it up. She really does it for me.

Deberg_1990 10-11-2008 08:25 PM

I still think Freaks and Geeks is one of the best things Apatow has ever been associated with, if not the best.

TrickyNicky 10-11-2008 08:29 PM

I've never laughed as much during a movie as 40 Year Old Virgin. That is his high point IMO.

mikeyis4dcats. 10-13-2008 06:49 PM

jesus christ, I just caught Epic Movie on tv. Someone shoot me in the ****ing mouth...

KcMizzou 10-13-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5112675)
jesus christ, I just caught Epic Movie on tv. Someone shoot me in the ****ing mouth...

You got what you deserved, you silly bastard.

Sure-Oz 10-13-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5112675)

I hope you didn't rent it...

Those movies should never be made

mikeyis4dcats. 10-13-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5112765)

no, it was on cable. I was half-watching it while doing some work, and it still made me weep.

Miles 10-14-2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5103220)
Understandable.

Same here. Everyone has told me it was bad but I am curious to see for myself since all of his previous movies have at least been interesting.

Buehler445 10-14-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5112765)

Eh one of those ****ing movies was on TV the other day, and I couldn't even listen to the gayness while I was looking through the guide to find something else.

Sure-Oz 10-14-2008 10:24 PM

I just bought equilibrium from best buy for $6, this movie any good?

irishjayhawk 10-14-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5117122)
I just bought equilibrium from best buy for $6, this movie any good?

Is that a serious question?

Sure-Oz 10-14-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5117165)
Is that a serious question?

:evil:

Was this movie in theaters? I saw the ratings on amazon.com from customers and went there tonight and saw it on sale (from 9.99)

irishjayhawk 10-15-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5117173)
:evil:

Was this movie in theaters? I saw the ratings on amazon.com from customers and went there tonight and saw it on sale (from 9.99)

It was but it bombed, IIRC.

Otter 10-15-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

If that director would have been in throwing distance of me when the closing credits appeared he would have been dodging beer bottles.

blaise 10-15-2008 05:22 PM

I watched Southland Tales the other day. It was ok. It was sort of creative in the way they shot it but I thought some of the themes were hack and played out. I think the whole paranoia about the Patriot Act and Big Brother angle has been done many times before and much better than in this movie. I didn't think the director had much to say beyond that. A lot of show for very little substance.
Plus it was hard to really care much about any of the characters.

Otter 10-16-2008 12:44 PM

One of my friends recently had ACL surgery which laid her up for a couple days and asked for some movie recommendations. She loves gritty, gangster films; favorite movie is actually Goodfellas which floored me coming from a chick.
<o></o>
Anyway, threw these at her and figured I copy/paste what I wrote for discussion or add to the queue for anyone else who likes this gene.
<o></o>
Cheers!

The Way of the Gun – personal favorite you probably never heard of, subtly complicated plot (9/10)
Running Scared – pretty mainstream, probably heard of (8/10)
Lucky Number Slevin – see above (8/10)
Layer Cake – my absolute favorite out of the group (10/10)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang – mainstream, lots of comedy moments (8/10)
Smokin' Aces – everyone I talked to either loved or hated, I loved it (8/10)

blaise 10-16-2008 04:58 PM

I liked Layer Cake a lot. Almost no one I talk to has ever seen it. I read the book too. It's a good book- has a different ending.

KcMizzou 10-16-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5122798)
I liked Layer Cake a lot. Almost no one I talk to has ever seen it. I read the book too. It's a good book- has a different ending.

I've had that movie on DVD for years, (literally) and have never gotten around to watching it.

Deberg_1990 10-16-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 5122001)
The Way of the Gun – personal favorite you probably never heard of, subtly complicated plot (9/10)
Running Scared – pretty mainstream, probably heard of (8/10)
Lucky Number Slevin – see above (8/10)
Layer Cake – my absolute favorite out of the group (10/10)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang – mainstream, lots of comedy moments (8/10)
Smokin' Aces – everyone I talked to either loved or hated, I loved it (8/10)

Way of the Gun - Great little underrated flick.

Running Scared - Rocks! Another gem

Lucky number Slevin - Never seen it

Layer Cake - Never seen it

Kiss Kiss bang Bang - Great flick. Robert Downy Jr's true comeback flick. Nice comeback for Shane Black as well.

Smokin Aces- It was ok. I didnt think it was anything special. I expected more.

luv 10-16-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5122848)
I've had that movie on DVD for years, (literally) and have never gotten around to watching it.

Whenever I sold a bunch of my movies for some cash, I had to unwrap some of them.

Sure-Oz 10-16-2008 10:47 PM

Saw....

Footfistway-7/10 pretty funny at times, similiar style to a napolean dynamite. About a taekwondo instructer.

The Love Guru-5/10 but had some suprisingly funny parts, shity plot of course.

Miles 10-17-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5122848)

Its a pretty damn good British gangster flick with some style. Well worth watching this weekend if you have the time.