ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Well, Bye, Kansas City... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308263)

Titty Meat 06-14-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916164)
In another riff on Hollywood, I joined 24 Hour Fitness in 2004 because it was new (Arclight) and close to my home. It was $750 for 3 years, then $20 a year for life after the initial period ended.

At the time, parking was $1.50, which was no big deal, even going 5-6 days a week. But 13 years later, it's $5 dollars for 2 hours, so if I were to go 5-6 days a week (or 20 times a month), it would cost $100 dollars or more, per month, or $1,200 a year, just to park! Yet my membership dues are only $20 per year.

Instead, I ride at Lake Hollywood 5 days a week and park for free. Not nearly as many hotties but I can't justify $1,200 per year in parking fees.

Gross. You could buy a home gym and hire a trainer for that much!

TinyEvel 06-14-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12916161)
Well, at least it'll be tax deductible...

Nope. Miles driven for work, like going to buy supplies or to see a band you might sign, those miles and parking are tax deductible. Commute miles/parking for regular days working in your workplace are not.

I found that out the hard way when I plopped a foot-high stack of parking receipts on the tax guy's desk three years ago. He gave me the nope news.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12916203)
Nope. Miles driven for work, like going to buy supplies or to see a band you might sign, those miles and parking are tax deductible. Commute miles/parking for regular days working in your workplace are not.

I found that out the hard way when I plopped a foot-high stack of parking receipts on the tax guy's desk three years ago. He gave me the nope news.

Bummer :(

TinyEvel 06-14-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 12916165)
I'm sure youre already on it but fast track saves you at least a dollar per trip so it gets down to 5.50

https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/gu...idgeToll.shtml

6.50 IS the Fasttrak price. :(

Bugeater 06-14-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12916045)
My new commute situation I'll drive across the Golden Gate bridge each day ($6.50) and parking will be $17 each day. That's 23.50 a day, times 20 days a month: that's $470 a month just to drive to the city. :cuss:

No thanks, I'll deal with the humidity.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12916183)
Gross. You could buy a home gym and hire a trainer for that much!

Well unfortunately, not out here. We don't have basements so I'd have to put an addition on my house (which I'm considering) which would cost about $30k, plus the cost of the equipment, TV, etc.

Personal trainers are bank in Hollywood. Even Barry's Bootcamp is $365 a month or $1,020 for 3 months.

I'm friends with Magnus Lygdbäck and his rates are crazy, even for me. I have another friend that owns Crossfit Horsepower and his annual rate is $1,950.

Halfcan 06-14-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12916215)
No thanks, I'll deal with the humidity.

I agree. I love the changing weather and having 4 different seasons a year. Watching the leaves change in Fall, spending the summers at one of the hundreds of lakes around here. Love camping in the Spring and the first snow of winter.

California has so many beautiful places, but the traffic and high cost of Everything there is a big negative compared to the midwest. I would pick the Northern part close to the Sequoias in Jebediah park. I also like the Southern part around San Diego and Chula Vista. I have family in the Luguna area. San Fran area is pretty amazing as well. Never liked LA or Oakland at all.

I love California but would never want to live there.

Halfcan 06-14-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

My new commute situation I'll drive across the Golden Gate bridge each day ($6.50) and parking will be $17 each day. That's 23.50 a day, times 20 days a month: that's $470 a month just to drive to the city. :cuss:

At least you get to drive across one of the most iconic and beautiful bridges in the world.

The Franchise 06-14-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12916284)
At least you get to drive across one of the most iconic and beautiful bridges in the world.

Which is great....the first time you do it. After that....none of it really ****ing matters.

BWillie 06-14-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Wow.. I would seriously just not live in a place like that. That would drive me insane getting nickel and dimed like that. That shit adds up. Probably why there is a huge growing trend of people in So Cal living in vans. No lie. Tons of people are now living in vans, on the side of the street, in the Trader Joes parking lot, because of the cost of housing is outrageous.

Ming the Merciless 06-14-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 12916207)
6.50 IS the Fasttrak price. :(

Ugh

Bugeater 06-14-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12916273)
I agree. I love the changing weather and having 4 different seasons a year. Watching the leaves change in Fall, spending the summers at one of the hundreds of lakes around here. Love camping in the Spring and the first snow of winter.

California has so many beautiful places, but the traffic and high cost of Everything there is a big negative compared to the midwest. I would pick the Northern part close to the Sequoias in Jebediah park. I also like the Southern part around San Diego and Chula Vista. I have family in the Luguna area. San Fran area is pretty amazing as well. Never liked LA or Oakland at all.

I love California but would never want to live there.

NoCal is fantastic, loved Yosemite and have spent several vacations in Lake Tahoe. Would love to get back out there again sometime. Never been to SoCal and don't really have any desire to visit there.

Rain Man 06-14-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12916381)
NoCal is fantastic, loved Yosemite and have spent several vacations in Lake Tahoe. Would love to get back out there again sometime. Never been to SoCal and don't really have any desire to visit there.

Go to Laguna Beach. It's a pretty cool place. I could live in Laguna Beach or that nearby area as long as I never had to go into LA County.

DaneMcCloud 06-14-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12916369)
Wow.. I would seriously just not live in a place like that. That would drive me insane getting nickel and dimed like that. That shit adds up. Probably why there is a huge growing trend of people in So Cal living in vans. No lie. Tons of people are now living in vans, on the side of the street, in the Trader Joes parking lot, because of the cost of housing is outrageous.

LMAO

eDave 06-14-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 12915881)
I've got my full container of ball powder all ready to go! :D

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/11/11db2e...1eb30d7baa.jpg

Heat not withstanding, Phoenix, to me, is a nice cross between KC and So. Cal. with costs relative to KC.

Plenty of people here from California and I can have my toes in the ocean in Laguna in 5.5 hours. I can be in Porto Penasco, Vegas, San Deigo in about the same time.