ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Osweiler + 2nd Round Pick to the Browns (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306497)

Frazod 03-09-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12776826)
I'll bet JJ Watt runs into Romo in a team OTA and they're both put out for the year with injuries.

LMAO

notorious 03-09-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 12776868)
Why is this a bad move?

It's okay to throw away 16 million in cash and cap room for a 2nd round pick.

Only a team so shitty as the Browns could do this and be called brilliant. They are literally taking on dead cap debt so they can reach the minimum. ROFL

Their talent is so depleted that they don't have any good players to extend to eat up some of that cap.

It's a horrific scenario.

At least keep the piece of shit on the roster as a backup, or start him so that your team is shittier and you get better draft picks next season.

Frazod 03-09-2017 07:07 PM

I guess it depends on how it shakes out as to whether Cleveland got hosed or not. It's been speculated that they intend to trade him. But at this point, who'd want the guy? Talk about damaged goods.

Granted, I don't pay much attention to Houston, but Osweiler must have some serious issues beyond a shitty single season for them to dump a second just to be rid of him. Sounds like the football equivalent of Coyote Ugly. :D

O.city 03-09-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12776886)

Only a team so shitty as the Browns could do this and be called brilliant. They are literally taking on dead cap debt so they can reach the minimum. ROFL

Their talent is so depleted that they don't have any good players to extend to eat up some of that cap.

At least keep the piece of shit on the roster as a backup, or start him so that your team is shittier and you get better draft picks next season.

They have to spend the money anyway and assweiler has shown that's he's atleast capable. They need to suck hard, get higher picks and he could **** that up.

OnTheWarpath15 03-09-2017 07:40 PM

Great read by Bill Barnwell breaking down this deal.

Browns currently have 8 picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts.

Quote:

The Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans completed a stunning trade Thursday, and it might be one of the rare moves in which both teams win. Houston hit the reset button on their disastrous decision to sign Brock Osweiler last offseason, sending the embattled quarterback to Cleveland along with a 2017 sixth-round pick and a second-rounder in the 2018 draft for a 2017 fourth-rounder. If the math seems off to you, well, you're not going crazy: A second-rounder is worth more than a fourth-rounder. The debate over how much a second-round pick is worth in a vacuum may be what ends up deciding whether this trade was a good idea.

In December, I suggested the Browns make this exact sort of trade with the Texans in what essentially amounted to buying a draft pick. I won't pretend that I expected it to actually happen. While this sort of salary dump is common in other sports, there's never really been an NFL deal that was as nakedly about getting rid of a contractual albatross as this one.

Read the rest here:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...iler-trade-nfl

Bewbies 03-09-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12776886)

They're in a reboot and have a ton of cash to spend.

When your team looks like one Pioli built having a shitload of draft picks is a good thing. If they draft well they're going to be loaded in a few years.

I hope they succeed, it would be awesome to see the rest of the league trying to copy the Cleveland Browns.

RippedmyFlesh 03-09-2017 08:12 PM

Great move by Houston to get out of the contract early. Brock is prob better than anyone cleve has put behind center for a while. I wish we had traded with Cleveland smith would be perfect for them. Smith would be a hero there if he brought them to 9-7.

-King- 03-09-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12776742)
"You can tell luck from skill by its duration..."

Siemian is an Alex Smith clone at a fraction the price. And I know people are still mocking Denver for that Lynch pick but I'd take Lynch and his contract on this team before Alex Smith and his contract in a heartbeat. He got exactly what he needed out of Osweiler; just enough to hang onto the division until the cavalry arrived - then he cut bait.

Elway has some blind spots - all GMs and executives do. But when it comes to the QB position, he's been consistently correct. Hard to criticize anything he's done there or refuse to give him credit where it's due.

Used a first round pick on Lynch and it doesn't look like he's anywhere near ready. There were reports coming out as late as December that he still couldn't understand the playbook. I think the jury is still out on Elway. He got lucky that Semien was OK last year because the original plan was for him to be 3rd string behind Sanchez and Lynch.
Posted via Mobile Device

mdchiefsfan 03-09-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 12776523)
Matt Millen: "I've never seen someone screw up a franchise this badly"

Cleveland Browns: "Hold my beer"

ROFL

dirk digler 03-09-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12776896)
I guess it depends on how it shakes out as to whether Cleveland got hosed or not. It's been speculated that they intend to trade him. But at this point, who'd want the guy? Talk about damaged goods.

Granted, I don't pay much attention to Houston, but Osweiler must have some serious issues beyond a shitty single season for them to dump a second just to be rid of him. Sounds like the football equivalent of Coyote Ugly. :D

No kidding. I was kind of shocked to hear this was basically a salary dump and they might try to trade or even release him. This never happens in the NFL but it is fairly common occurrence in the NBA.

Kind of funny though.

MatriculatingHank 03-09-2017 09:27 PM

I'm with the idea that all this has to do with a trade with the Pats for Jimmy Garoppolo: https://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...immy-garoppolo

Red Dawg 03-09-2017 09:55 PM

If the Browns give the Pats ammo in the draft for a nobody, with no experience that went to a shit college and was barely drafted in the second round then nothing has changed in Browns country.

Outside of the massive luck that was the Brady pick what QB has Bill picked that went on to be any good at all? Hoyer sucks. Mallet sucks. Cassel sucks.

The Browns are out of their effing minds to throw away high draft picks and dole out big bucks to Jimmy. Does everyone not think the Bears look like idiots for Glennon? What is the difference?

cosmo20002 03-09-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12776771)
Your football understanding is as good as your political takes.

It has nothing to do with how good or bad Assweiller is. The Brown's dont want him as their QB, it was strictly to gain draft picks.

It does matter. Because if they get no value from assweiller as a contributing player, it means they are paying a ridiculous price to get a 2nd round draft pick.

JimBaker48.8 03-09-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12776760)
Idk why but I see Davis Webb as a QB Houston would draft. Can't really explain it. Just a sense I guess

Not just a Chiefs fan but also follow the Texans closely and you are probably right about Webb. Bill O'Brien would be more attracted to somebody like Webb than MaHomes.
I know some guys on the Chiefs Board are concerned about Houston stepping in front of them to draft MaHomes in the first round, but as talented as the Texas Tech QB is he's also the kinda QB O'Brien tends to avoid because he doesn't like the gun-slinger types running his offenses for him.
Somebody might indeed beat the Chiefs to MaHomes in the first but I doubt it's Houston.

BryanBusby 03-09-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 12777157)
It does matter. Because if they get no value from assweiller as a contributing player, it means they are paying a ridiculous price to get a 2nd round draft pick.

I think you're missing the point.

The Browns weren't going to be able to logically use up enough space to hit the salary floor over one year, or multiple years. They were going to be penalized in result which would help out rival squads.

Getting a 2nd round choice is better than jack shit.