ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ballard Interviewing for Colts GM (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305500)

The Franchise 01-30-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 12717508)
The trash on the roster is why he now has the job. He has Andrew Luck. The hard part is done.

Except he has to find a way to do it while dealing with Luck's huge ass contract.

Quesadilla Joe 01-30-2017 11:39 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A presser today, but Colts GM Chris Ballard intends to keep HC Chuck Pagano for 2017, then re-evaluate for 2018, per league sources.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/826107082336239622">January 30, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Franchise 01-30-2017 11:42 AM

Unless he was 100% sold on Toub....he'd be dumb to dump Pagano at this point. There isn't anyone out there left to be hired. Unless he could pull Kyle away from the 49ers.

Hoover 01-30-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12717511)
Except he has to find a way to do it while dealing with Luck's huge ass contract.

I actually think the Colts are just a fee pieces away, mostly on defense.

They have plenty of cheap weapons for Luck. Need to draft a running back. Continue to draft some linemen, but they need an Identity on defense. They have 50M in cap space.

arrwheader 01-30-2017 12:04 PM

Is Ballard leaving a sign that Dorsey is sticking around for awhile? Seems like it since the talk of Ballard being the guy to replace Dorsey if he left. If Dorsey was going to leave then you would think Ballard would have stayed. Unless he loves the Colts or something.

Hoover 01-30-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrwheader (Post 12717639)
Is Ballard leaving a sign that Dorsey is sticking around for awhile? Seems like it since the talk of Ballard being the guy to replace Dorsey if he left. If Dorsey was going to leave then you would think Ballard would have stayed. Unless he loves the Colts or something.

Yes. There are only 32 jobs like this. Dorsey doesn't just have one of them, he has one of the best when you factor in Ownership. He's not leaving. He has KC in a great spot.

Hoover 01-30-2017 12:10 PM

With the FA money the Colts have, I would not be surprised if they kick the tires on Poe.

arrwheader 01-30-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12717641)
Yes. There are only 32 jobs like this. Dorsey doesn't just have one of them, he has one of the best when you factor in Ownership. He's not leaving. He has KC in a great spot.

I agree. I figured I would bring this up, and maybe someone already did earlier, but definitely points to him staying at his "dream job" for awhile.

arrwheader 01-30-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12717645)
With the FA money the Colts have, I would not be surprised if they kick the tires on Poe.

I would think with in in depth knowledge our our players and organization he will attempt to lure a number of players his way if given the opportunity.

Hoover 01-30-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrwheader (Post 12717649)
I would think with in in depth knowledge our our players and organization he will attempt to lure a number of players his way if given the opportunity.

Same thing Pioli did in Atlanta.

I'm fine with it. Only guy we need to keep away from them is Berry. He's a no-brainer for that Colts team IMO.

DJ's left nut 01-30-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12717615)
Unless he was 100% sold on Toub....he'd be dumb to dump Pagano at this point. There isn't anyone out there left to be hired. Unless he could pull Kyle away from the 49ers.

If he has 4 years like Dorsey's first 4 years here in terms of draft productivity, that team will be a Super Bowl contender by year 3.

The worry that Ballard has to have is that he has a QB who pretty much ensures 6 wins a season so bottoming out is impossible. He'll be drafting from the middle of the round or worse every year.

That said, when you have the QB position solidified for a decade, drafting high in the round isn't as important as simply being smart, especially when you're in rounds 3 and later.

I can't think of a better job to get than the Colts gig.

I hope he fails miserably...

SAUTO 01-30-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12717615)

supposedly kyle wanted lynch as the gm in SF...

Hoover 01-30-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12717660)
supposedly kyle wanted lynch as the gm in SF...

So Kyle wanted a puppet GM.

That's never good.

Hoover 01-30-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12717659)
If he has 4 years like Dorsey's first 4 years here in terms of draft productivity, that team will be a Super Bowl contender by year 3.

The worry that Ballard has to have is that he has a QB who pretty much ensures 6 wins a season so bottoming out is impossible. He'll be drafting from the middle of the round or worse every year.

That said, when you have the QB position solidified for a decade, drafting high in the round isn't as important as simply being smart, especially when you're in rounds 3 and later.

I can't think of a better job to get than the Colts gig.

I hope he fails miserably...

And I don't think it takes that long to be honest.

They get solid line play and some RB production you have a playoff team, even with that awful defense.

Buehler445 01-30-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12717638)
I actually think the Colts are just a fee pieces away, mostly on defense.

They have plenty of cheap weapons for Luck. Need to draft a running back. Continue to draft some linemen, but they need an Identity on defense. They have 50M in cap space.

RB isn't that big of a deal. They just need someone who isn't trash. And you can find them for nothing. I don't think they need to spend significant draft capital on them.