ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs How Alex Smith and the Chiefs turned a season around (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297263)

Tacoman 01-08-2016 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 12006406)
You said he was "tops in the league"....y/n

Looks like he is more middle of the pack

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...conversion-pct

Your Alex stat that removes YAC from execution seems like a pretty dumb way to try to quantify someone who's offensive game (spread/wco)is designed around exactly that.

stevieray 01-08-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12006299)
I've said plenty of nice things about Alex Smith during our 10-game win streak.

When I like what he does, I give him credit. When he sucks, I talk about it.

It's pretty simple.

Winning ten games in a row isn't sucking.

Mav 01-08-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12006299)
I've said plenty of nice things about Alex Smith during our 10-game win streak.

When I like what he does, I give him credit. When he sucks, I talk about it.

It's pretty simple.

I've always thought you were pretty fair on the Alex Smith debate. Not that my opinion matters.

Chiefnj2 01-08-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoman (Post 12006441)

Your Alex stat that removes YAC from execution seems like a pretty dumb way to try to quantify someone who's offensive game (spread/wco)is designed around exactly that.

It's pretty impressive that they finished middle of the pack. IIRC, in mid October they were bottom 2. The question, which will be answered in short time, is whether the improvement was primarily due to the offense playing better, or the "easier" schedule.

Mav 01-08-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnV (Post 12006385)
Alex is the only QB to ever get credit for having a great defense. It's complete BS made up by the fanboys to justify Alex's role in having a winning record since 2011.

No, it's not BS. It's the truth actually. Since 2011 Alex Smith got told to make sure that every possession ends in a kick. Whether that is a punt, fg, or extra point. And he's done that better than any qb in the league. I'd wager that Alex Smith led teams win the field position battle since 2011, and the turnover battle since 2011.

Does anyone honestly think that leaving an opponent always with the long field isn't helping the defense?

JohnV 01-08-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 12006452)
No, it's not BS. It's the truth actually. Since 2011 Alex Smith got told to make sure that every possession ends in a kick. Whether that is a punt, fg, or extra point. And he's done that better than any qb in the league. I'd wager that Alex Smith led teams win the field position battle since 2011, and the turnover battle since 2011.

Does anyone honestly think that leaving an opponent always with the long field isn't helping the defense?

No I think having good defenders makes a great defense, not Alex Smith.

Tacoman 01-08-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 12006450)
It's pretty impressive that they finished middle of the pack. IIRC, in mid October they were bottom 2. The question, which will be answered in short time, is whether the improvement was primarily due to the offense playing better, or the "easier" schedule.

Moment of truth is upon us!! Bart Scott all over this shit baby...

GOOOOOOO. CHIEFS!!

RealSNR 01-08-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 12006447)
Winning ten games in a row isn't sucking.

I've already said he's been a different QB since the Pittsburgh game. I just don't care about a QB whose superpower is "just winning regular season games, baby!"

Once again, if he decides to live up to that reputation by winning us a playoff game or two, I'll start believing it's what he does. Until then, you're not going to convince me that his ability to go 3-and-out for entire stretches of the 2nd halves of games is somehow a part of "playing smart football." Making your defense close games when they shouldn't have to (against shitty opponents) isn't smart football.

RealSNR 01-08-2016 09:03 AM

To put it in another light...

I don't think there's a single person on this forum who doesn't like Ned Yost as manager of the Royals. He's still super frustrating at times, but he gave us postseason wins, and he continues to troll playoff teams and their fans with his magical warlock Huguenot ways.

If the roles were reversed in the 2014 WC game and in 2015 he won a lot of games but game up just short of making the playoffs, do you think fans would be very happy with him, considering he's out there doing batshit crap that doesn't make sense like batting Escobar at leadoff and none of it is getting us playoff wins?

Well, he's an MLB manager who "just wins." I can't explain how or why what he does works, but it does. And I'm fine with Alex being that kind of QB, but he has to have the wins, otherwise he's just a scared pussy when he plays the kind of football where he says, "Welp, there's 17 offensive points. Looks like my job is done here. Can you hold off the other team, defense? It's only the beginning of the 3rd? Umm... try getting a defensive TD or two, that should help. If you or special teams give us the ball with great field position, I'll see if I can't tack on an extra field goal, but I make no promises."

Tacoman 01-08-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12006523)
I've already said he's been a different QB since the Pittsburgh game. I just don't care about a QB whose superpower is "just winning regular season games, baby!"

Once again, if he decides to live up to that reputation by winning us a playoff game or two, I'll start believing it's what he does. Until then, you're not going to convince me that his ability to go 3-and-out for entire stretches of the 2nd halves of games is somehow a part of "playing smart football." Making your defense close games when they shouldn't have to (against shitty opponents) isn't smart football.

It's a delicate balance between the two when you're trying to assess(too conservative/too aggressive and how it relates to efficiency and winning), but your expectations seem more than reasonable. You want to see him prove he can win, makes perfect sense. This is a lot different viewpoint than saying he sucks because "insert obscure fact here" that doesn't necessarily impact win/loss column etc etc.

Even as a fan of the guys play for all this time there have been plenty of times I wished he would have just thrown the damn ball downfield lol. I don't think anybody is saying he's the best in the league, it is what it is. I do believe the guy can lead this team to a SB, though.

brucey_72 01-08-2016 09:10 AM

This board is getting hard to read, instead of talking about the 11-5 Chiefs who have won 10 straight and could be getting their first playoff game since 1993. We have 2 groups whipping their dicks out having a pissing contest on who was right about Alex Smith. Nobody gives a shit if you liked or didn't approve of the trade, get over it. As of right now he is your QB and just enjoy the ride.

Smith is a good QB, not a great one. He can win a Super Bowl, but he can't do it by himself. No QB can. He is not going to lead a team to Super Bowl, he will be an important part of a SB just like everyone else.

Now if a better QB magically gets traded or gets released. Then go get him. There are at least 10 QBs better than Alex Smith but only 2 that would make a huge difference. Those are Rodgers and Brady.

Brock 01-08-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoman (Post 12006441)

What it means is he throws short of the sticks on third down more than any other qb. your link is a team stat not broken out by run/pass.

I know, I know. 10 in a row! Quit "bitching"!

Tacoman 01-08-2016 09:16 AM

I don't know the guy obviously so I have no idea what he would say, but my hunch is is if you asked him "what do you want to be judged by" it would be wins, right?

Mav 01-08-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnV (Post 12006476)
No I think having good defenders makes a great defense, not Alex Smith.

That simple huh? Did I say that Alex Smith was the only reason that the defense was good? Nope. Sure didn't. I said he helped. Big difference.

DaFace 01-08-2016 09:19 AM

Alex Smith is now an above-average QB who is doing more to win games than lose them. He could be better, but he's not a liability.

Not sure what really matters beyond that, personally.