ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2015 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291711)

duncan_idaho 04-07-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 11423325)
The MLB Commissioner wants to end defensive shifts in baseball so that would help out the offense.

With today's technology how come they can't have an invisible electronic strike zone set up for each player and still have an umpire to call the strikes or balls. But it could be referred to if a player challenges the call.

I don't think the defensive shift thing will actually happen. Hitters just need to learn and tool themselves to hit the other way. And I don't think eliminating it would help offenses all that much, anyway.

Offenses aren't struggling because plodding guys who only pull the ball aren't getting ground ball singles to their pull side.

Saul Good 04-07-2015 10:48 AM

The shift should help offenses. There is no excuse for a major league hitter to continually ground into them.

BigMeatballDave 04-07-2015 10:48 AM

Wow! A KC sports team is revolutionizing something other than losing?

BigMeatballDave 04-07-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11423352)
The shift should help offenses. There is no excuse for a major league hitter to continually ground into them.

There's no excuse for major league hitters swinging at eye-level fastballs, but it happens.

KChiefs1 04-07-2015 11:11 AM

The Royals' Opening Day win was the highest-rated Royals season or home opener ever on FOX Sports Kansas City, and earned the fifth-best Royals rating all-time on the network.

White-Sox Royals generated an 11.7 household rating, up 89 percent over the previous high for a Royals opener on FOX Sports Kansas City -- a 6.2 for the 2014 home opener. Data is courtesy of Nielsen Media Research, for the Kansas City market.

The telecast ran from 2:30 to 6:15 p.m. and included the pregame ring ceremony and raising of the American League Champions banner. Monday's rating peaked at a 14.5 (134,000 homes) from 5:45 to 6 p.m.

FOX Sports Kansas City has televised an estimated 1,171 Royals games and is in its 14th season as the team's TV home.

Royals Opener on FOX Sports Kansas City
• Best rating ever for season or home opener on FOX Sports Kansas City
• Up 89 percent vs. previous high for Royals opener on FOX Sports Kansas City (6.2, 2014)
• Fifth-best rating ever for a Royals telecast on FOX Sports Kansas City

Halfcan 04-07-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11423221)

...and we added veterans like Rios and Morales who are going to inevitable be huge upgrades to Aoki and Butler while having guys like Medlen and Chris Young as insurance to our rotation

Both of these signings kind of went under the radar-but I think they were very solid signings.

Rios was a former #1 pick. If he stays healthy he can put up 20 plus homers. If yesterday was any indication of what he will do - 3/4 with a homer- This was Huge for us.

Morales-is a former 34 homer guy. If a pitcher makes a mistake-he will make them pay. If healthy- he will more than make up for Butler in power and production.

Royals have "potentially" added 25 plus homers to their total this year with these guys.

RockChalk 04-07-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 11423472)
Both of these signings kind of went under the radar-but I think they were very solid signings.

Rios was a former #1 pick. If he stays healthy he can put up 20 plus homers. If yesterday was any indication of what he will do - 3/4 with a homer- This was Huge for us.

Morales-is a former 34 homer guy. If a pitcher makes a mistake-he will make them pay. If healthy- he will more than make up for Butler in power and production.

Royals have "potentially" added 25 plus homers to their total this year with these guys.

You are right, I predict huge things for Rios if yesterday indicates he will bat .750 with 162 HR's and 486 RBI's. I think he'd take the Triple Crown as well as blow out several records.

:p

Saul Good 04-07-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 11423480)
You are right, I predict huge things for Rios if yesterday indicates he will bat .750 with 162 HR's and 486 RBI's. I think he'd take the Triple Crown as well as blow out several records.

Ricky Henderson could lose his single season stolen base record, too.

CoMoChief 04-07-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11423499)
Ricky Henderson could lose his single season stolen base record, too.

everytime I hear or see the name Rickey Henderson, I think about the list of quotes and things Ricky did throughout his career...****in hilarious.

In the early 1980s, the Oakland A’s accounting department was freaking out. The books were off $1 million. After an investigation, it was determined Rickey was the reason why. The GM asked him about a $1 million bonus he had received and Rickey said instead of cashing it, he framed it and hung it on a wall at his house. ROFL

Prison Bitch 04-07-2015 12:29 PM

There's a lot of gross misunderstanding on what analytics (hence, ultimately Vegas) thinks about the Royals and why. There's no evidence whatsoever older teams "fade" late in the season. The SF Giants were not a young team and they hardly faded.

Duncan, we've been thru the projection systems. They're very accurate because they're back checked vs the results of thousands of MLB datapoints. They also take into account such minute things as velocity on FB. Saying we operate outside this established model requires proof.

Finally, the Royals win last year for 3 reasons, all of which do NOT stay constant historically:

1) "situational" hitting. 3rd in MLB with risp
2) healthy roster. Fewest missed games in MLB
3) lights out bullpen

We aren't changing the game. We're executing. Huge difference. And data shows these things are not remotely sustainable.

Great Expectations 04-07-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11423537)
There's a lot of gross misunderstanding on what analytics (hence, ultimately Vegas) thinks about the Royals and why. There's no evidence whatsoever older teams "fade" late in the season. The SF Giants were not a young team and they hardly faded.

Duncan, we've been thru the projection systems. They're very accurate because they're back checked vs the results of thousands of MLB datapoints. They also take into account such minute things as velocity on FB. Saying we operate outside this established model requires proof.

Finally, the Royals win last year for 3 reasons, all of which do NOT stay constant historically:

3) lights out bullpen

We aren't changing the game. We're executing. Huge difference. And data shows these things are not remotely sustainable.

The Royals batting average for the whole season was 4th in MLB. Why do you think finishing 3rd with risp is such an outlier?

The Royals trainers did a great job. Several players were hurt and probably should have been rested more (Infante immediately comes to mind).

The bullpen was lights out because the players are great. That is sustainable if you keep the great pitchers.

Great Expectations 04-07-2015 12:52 PM

BTW, the Royals lead the majors in OPS so far this year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/...OPS/order/true

Halfcan 04-07-2015 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 11423480)

LMAO :thumb:

I would be happy with him batting .290 to .305 with 24 homers and 90 RBI's - this would mean he was healthy all year.

I think Ned is going to be a kid in the candy store with the lineup this year-lots of possibilities with these guys.

Saul Good 04-07-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11423537)

3) lights out bullpen

For someone who loves statistics the way you do, I'm continually amazed by your utter lack of understanding of them.

1. We were near the top of MLB in team batting average. That we would be 3rd best with RISP is hardly an aberration.

2. When you're one of the youngest teams in baseball, you're likely going to be among the least injured.

3. Our bullpen has been near the top for years. It's clearly a very high priority for GMDM.

Our pitching staff being unusually healthy is the closest thing on your list to being an outlier, but we were still without Hochevar all year, and we've had our share of TJ surgeries throughout the organization.

Hootie 04-07-2015 01:17 PM

I'm concerned about Ventura. Hopefully it's not this year, but he's going to have to get Tommy John eventually. It's just going to happen.

But we have amazing bullpen depth, great rotation depth with Young and Medlen, and great Lorenzo Cain depth.

The Royals are stacked. But thanks for your 82 win prediction, PB.