ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ron Parker coming back? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291311)

Iconic 03-14-2015 12:34 PM

Abdullah's a FA next year and has made less than 3M the past three years. Wonder if we re-sign him.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-14-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 11382801)
Not worth 9 mil per year. Period. We did the right thing letting him walk. He is not a dominent center because he is too small. How many times did we get stuffed? JC got nailed repeated trying go behind or center and guards.

Our FO stuffed ranked was the fifth lowest in football. Must be because Hudson was too weak.

DJ's left nut 03-14-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11382804)
Some of Dorsey's moves do not equal all of Dorsey's moves. You should at least have enough integrity to acknowledge this utterly simple fact.

Moreover, given that we use contracts to evaluate value, scaling the contracts of one group of players to another (knowing that all are unlikely to see their deals end) is perfectly reasonable.

Not when you're trying to act like the 3/8 given to Mauga (which contains no signing bonus and no guaranteed money) is even remotely analogous to the 2/$6 million given to Ayers w/ $3 million guaranteed and makeable incentives that could make the total value $10 million.

Sure, making contract arguments is reasonable. Simply adding the book value of contracts together and acting like that means dick in the NFL isn't.

DaneMcCloud 03-14-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11382800)
Earl Thomas is the best free safety in football. Are you saying that Parker is an equivalent safety to Hudson's standing within centers (a guy you claimed was a top five center).

Unger's a great center. I drafted him in the second round of my 2009 draft here.

That said, if the choice is between an effective One High Safety and a top 5 center, I'm going safety.

It's easier to find a suitable center than a suitable safety in a passing league.

aturnis 03-14-2015 12:40 PM

KC Chiefs Ron Parker gets some love in Canada: https://youtu.be/0TCQPLUl0cY

DaneMcCloud 03-14-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11382805)
we paid Parker more than Rolle

Without the details of the contract, it's impossible to determine who was paid what and with how much guaranteed money.

mcaj22 03-14-2015 12:43 PM

Parker is better than Rolle no? Like a lot?

DJ's left nut 03-14-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11382813)
Unger's a great center. I drafted him in the second round of my 2009 draft here.

That said, if the choice is between an effective One High Safety and a top 5 center, I'm going safety.

It's easier to find a suitable center than a suitable safety in a passing league.

It's a 'devil you know' deal and it's damn common in pretty much every profession.

Sutton has a guy that can play single-high and that was MASSIVE in how they were able to scheme last year. It's also been instrumental in what Carrol was able to do in Seattle. For once the Chiefs have a defense that actually appears to be ahead of the NFL curve. We're not 2-gapping 3 years after it was figured out. We're not going to a cover-2 a half decade after it got picked bare.

We're one of the few teams out there that could effectively play a press-man, cover-1 system last year and Parker's speed at safety was a big part of that.

Yeah, Sutton's not going to want to let him walk. If Branch isn't healthy or the new guy can't play single-high at all, we have to scrap a lot of what Sutton was able to do last year.

Jim Lahey 03-14-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11382805)
You can bet your ass that some guys on the market now will sign for 8-ish million that we could use

RT,MLB,WR,TE

Wisnieswski can probably hand for 5 million per
Brandon Spikes too

Hell ... Percy Harvin just signed for 6 million.

Bulaga signed for 8 per
Julius Thomas signed $9.2 million
Fairley signed 1yr/5 million
TERRANCE KNIGHTON 1yr/4 million
Antrel Rolle 3-year, $11.25 million ($5 million guaranteed)

we paid Parker more than Rolle

Rolle is old as ****..& guys like him are easier to replace than guys like Parker.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-14-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11382780)
but we can't find a replacement for Ron "Cut eight times" Parker? Well, if Hudson is only a one year wonder, what the **** is Parker?

I'll remember this in a couple of years when you're pushing for L'Damian Washington, who is on his 7th team in his second year.

Meatloaf 03-14-2015 12:45 PM

I like this signing. Parker is a valuable piece in a very good defense. Continuity is definitely worth something since, as I recall, football is a team game. Obviously, he needs to shore up his tackling ability, but he's got speed and generally seems to be around the ball.

As per whether he's worth the contract, well, how in the world are we going to know this until he actually PLAYS under this contract. For example, if he plays like the guy who was cut 8 times, then I would offer that it was a poor signing. However, if he plays better than he did last year, then it could be a GREAT signing. This bitching about not worth it seems premature.

Parker's a key performer on a very good defense whose arrow appears to be pointing up. I like the signing.

PS. I would also suggest that this portends well as per whether or not we keep Mr. Houston.

DJ's left nut 03-14-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11382815)
Without the details of the contract, it's impossible to determine who was paid what and with how much guaranteed money.

Hard to believe that it isn't the case, though. I'd be pretty shocked if Parker doesn't get more in the first 3 than Rolle.

I also think Parker's worth more to this team that Rolle would be both because of raw physical tools and familiarity.

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-14-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 11382819)
Parker is better than Rolle no? Like a lot?

The Giants have no S on the roster and didn't want Rolle back should tell you everything.

pugsnotdrugs19 03-14-2015 12:48 PM

How can you be really mad with this? Sure, it may be slightly overpaying, but the guy was the 2nd best FA safety in a weak draft class, where the #1 safety got 47 mill over 5. It's the way the market works.

You can complain all you want about 'Oh but we could have drafted a guy to do the same thing for cheap!'... Bullsh*t. Kendrick Lewis says hi.

All this does is keep continuity and open up our draft options even more. I like Tyvon, but did you really think it'd be smart to bank on him as a starter? No, so then you have to draft a safety early. Not now.

This is depth building. Parker probably doesn't last more than 3 years here, but I will never complain with my team actually spending their money to help other areas, which is exactly what this does.

DaneMcCloud 03-14-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11382820)
It's a 'devil you know' deal and it's damn common in pretty much every profession.

Sutton has a guy that can play single-high and that was MASSIVE in how they were able to scheme last year. It's also been instrumental in what Carrol was able to do in Seattle. For once the Chiefs have a defense that actually appears to be ahead of the NFL curve. We're not 2-gapping 3 years after it was figured out. We're not going to a cover-2 a half decade after it got picked bare.

We're one of the few teams out there that could effectively play a press-man, cover-1 system last year and Parker's speed at safety was a big part of that.

Yeah, Sutton's not going to want to let him walk. If Branch isn't healthy or the new guy can't play single-high at all, we have to scrap a lot of what Sutton was able to do last year.

Agreed.

I was constantly praising Parker's play at Safety last season and repeatedly mentioned that the defense had actually improved with the loss of Berry, which was met with round criticism. As the season progressed, more people began to see what I saw in Parker at safety but when forced to start at cornerback, the shine wore off for many of those people.

All that said, to get a 4.3 40, One High Safety for even $4 million less per year than Earl Thomas that's already familiar with Sutton's system is a coup for Dorsey and the Chiefs, IMO.