ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs have signed cornerback Chris Owens (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282469)

RunKC 03-23-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10512383)
Some of you are just scared of the pussy.

Yes we should have drafted a QB that just lost his starting job to Michael ****ing Vick instead of trading for a QB that wins and puts 44 points on the board in the playoffs with our best player on the sideline.

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10512238)
We'll never match Denver's success.

fyp
See what I did there?

Just because we don't perfectly match Seattle's success, doesn't mean it isn't a good model to get us where we need to go. And that is a team that for the last few years has been an absolute machine at turning draft picks into starters.

We are stuck in this world where we're used to Carl Peterson hitting on one pick on the draft if we're lucky. And the opposite world where Pioli hit on several safe picks a draft, and even then, with marginal talent. If we start hitting on several quality players, playmakers, and several more great depth players in consecutive drafts, THAT is when we actually do something we've never really done before.

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10512312)
It's always been that way, hasn't it?

Our way will work because x.

(X=outlier)

Seattle
San Francisco
Baltimore
Pittsburgh (before their slide)
Green Bay
Carolina

That's pretty funny. I didn't know it's a new thing that a team that builds a playoff team through the draft is now considered an outlier.

O.city 03-23-2014 09:42 PM

It's not, but hitting on as many picks in as such a short time as Seattle did is absolutely an outlier.

Floridafan 03-23-2014 09:55 PM

As far as not getting Byrd or Ward, have you ever considered that some people just don't want to come to a small market like KC. It's not the center of the football universe. Don't get me wrong, I love the KC area but I have lived in south Florida for the past 25 years and no way in hell would I want to go back. There are other teams with great traditions and great facilities with great cities, big name QB's etc. It just what's so. Get over it.

BossChief 03-23-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10512399)
Yes we should have drafted a QB that just lost his starting job to Michael ****ing Vick instead of trading for a QB that wins and puts 44 points on the board in the playoffs with our best player on the sideline.

Geno lost his starting job to Vick?

Hmmm

I love it how you tear Geno down (even though he was the NFLs second highest rated QBR over the last month) and do everything in your power to mop up the shit storm we got from Eric Fisher.

FTR, I wanted to trade for Alex Smith (I'm on record pretrade wanting to trade a max third for him) AND drafting Geno.

I even said at least 30 times that I didn't think Geno would be ready right away and would benefit from sitting on the bench 2 years. I even likened the situation to the Aaron Rodgers situation with Favre.

I will always think that was the right direction...but oh well.

BossChief 03-23-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10512476)
Seattle
San Francisco
Baltimore
Pittsburgh (before their slide)
Green Bay
Carolina

That's pretty funny. I didn't know it's a new thing that a team that builds a playoff team through the draft is now considered an outlier.

You're right, we should probably draft a quarterback sometime soon.

O.city 03-23-2014 10:08 PM

"Fisher will get better because he a chief and the chiefs front office sees something in him, even though he didn't show it on the field (couldn't he was hurt) and Geno is terribad and sucks (even though over the last four games of the year he showed vast improvement and played pretty well) because he's not a chief and our front office didn't pick him"

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10512500)
It's not, but hitting on as many picks in as such a short time as Seattle did is absolutely an outlier.

I never said KC can be Seattle. I am saying their system is worth copying because they were in the same situation 4 years ago as we were. Their system works, as do the other 5 or so playoff teams I brought up that do it well too. If you don't like the Seattle example, Carolina's a good one too. Lots of successful teams are making big playoff runs primarily through the draft. I don't get why KC in any way should try to be Denver.

Boss is freaking about losing 4 excellent players. Laz is freaking about losing 3 or 4. If Seattle and Carolina can produce a starting lineup of almost 15 starters who came from Seattle and Carolina, I don't understand the freak out about replacing 7 guys in 3-4 years.

And it's also worth noting that these teams that build through the draft aren't afraid to start late round picks and rookies.

BossChief 03-23-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10512562)
"Fisher will get better because he a chief and the chiefs front office sees something in him, even though he didn't show it on the field (couldn't he was hurt) and Geno is terribad and sucks (even though over the last four games of the year he showed vast improvement and played pretty well) because he's not a chief and our front office didn't pick him"

Exactly.

Shit, Genos Jets were one of the least talented teams in the league and they lost a tiebreaker to the Steelers/Chargers for the final playoff spot....after SD won their last game against us on ref bullshit.

Andy Reid thought so much of Eric Fisher that he sat his ass down in the playoff game in favor of Albert/Stephenson.

How long until they say they "really like" Eric Fisher at guard?

O.city 03-23-2014 10:16 PM

It's arguable whether Carolina is even a top 15 team in the nfl right now.

O.city 03-23-2014 10:19 PM

All these teams that are successful don't just build thru te draft. It's gotta be the main area of team building because you get good young talent in the cheap.

But it's a combination of everything. Player acquisition, usage, development etc.

I think player development is something we be severely lacked on the past decade.

BossChief 03-23-2014 10:19 PM

Carolina needs to draft 3-4 receivers if they are gonna have a chance at competing next year.

Luckily, this is the draft class that could give that strategy legs.

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10512573)
It's arguable whether Carolina is even a top 15 team in the nfl right now.

For a team that has done extremely little in free agency for years, they ended up being a solid team last year.

O.city 03-23-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10512580)
For a team that has done extremely little in free agency for years, they ended up being a solid team last year.

Go look at the free agents they brought in prior to last season.