ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Chiefs like what they’ve seen so far from QB Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273475)

Coogs 06-01-2013 08:45 AM

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playby...22025&period=0

From the looks of the game play-by-play, neither Manning or Smith converted many 3rd down situations. Some were 3rd and longs. Some were runs on 3rd down. Some were scrambles on 3rd down. Some came up a yard or so short on 3rd down. Doesn't really look like a game where the QB's just shit the bed on 3rd down, but where defense's made plays. Both ways. Which is kind of the way I remembered that game. Good defensive game.

EDIT: He also had 73 and 28 yard TD passes in the game. Not sure Alex Smith was the main reason for this loss.

Sandy Vagina 06-01-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9722836)
Being a fan of more than one team is like having more than one wife. It's f'ed up. I don't care if people do, I just don't take them seriously when it comes to sports. Loyalty and faithfulness for the win.

I easily disagree with this attitude... it severely limits what football and other sports can give. To each his own.. and the Niners are my top priority... but I am going to enjoy this coming season all the more because I will be very much watching and pulling for the Chiefs to change their direction.

Some folks have to spice up their football love with fantasy football... meh... whatever floats your boat. Me? I won't limit myself fully to only watching one team. I am a fan of the game, first and foremost.

So in the end, if that is "f'ed up" to you? well then no problem for me... think what you want, and strut like you are a better fan than I. :shrug:

Carlota69 06-01-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9723249)
This is the destructive relationship that I just can't break off.

Yep, me too.
I can't quit you babe!

milkman 06-01-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9723271)
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playby...22025&period=0

From the looks of the game play-by-play, neither Manning or Smith converted many 3rd down situations. Some were 3rd and longs. Some were runs on 3rd down. Some were scrambles on 3rd down. Some came up a yard or so short on 3rd down. Doesn't really look like a game where the QB's just shit the bed on 3rd down, but where defense's made plays. Both ways. Which is kind of the way I remembered that game. Good defensive game.

EDIT: He also had 73 and 28 yard TD passes in the game. Not sure Alex Smith was the main reason for this loss.

Without looking at the log, I think that Manning only converted 3 or 4 3rd downs, tops.

But they were huge conversions when they needed them, and that was the difference in the game.

Coogs 06-01-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9723295)
Without looking at the log, I think that Manning only converted 3 or 4 3rd downs, tops.

But they were huge conversions when they needed them, and that was the difference in the game.

He converted exactly one after the early 2nd quarter TD drive. One. And yes it was a big one, but it came right after the first fumbled punt.

3rd down conversions by QB's in this game was not the difference in the game.

EDIT: My bad. Two. The last TD came on 3rd down. But the punt return touch by Williams that gave the ball to the Giants at the 29 was the game changer. Not the 3rd down conversions. 49ers were up 14-10 at the time.

Smith followed that up with a game tying FG drive. Crabtree was stopped 2 yards short of a 1st down on 3rd and 5 at the Giants 7. Playcall or Smits's fault? :shrug:

RunKC 06-01-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9723295)

I think the difference in the game was Kyle Williams. He not only turned it over in the worst possible moment, but he also fumbled earlier in the game and lost it.

When a player fumbles the ball twice in a big game like this and turns the ball over, a big part of the blame has got to be put on his shoulders.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 06-01-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9723229)
AS is still better than Geno Smith or any other QB that was in this years draft.

The future Conan?/Andy Richter

RealSNR 06-01-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9723229)
AS is still better than Geno Smith or any other QB that was in this years draft.

Cool story bro

Coogs 06-01-2013 11:33 AM

The biggest two 3rd down plays that have come into question for the 49ers were the two before the mishandled punts. I believe the arguement is... "If Smith would have converted those, there would have been no need for the punt", or something like that.

The 1st one was a 3rd and 1. Running play behind the RG for no gain. Obviously the blame must go to Smith, correct?

The 2nd one was a 3rd and 12. Smith completed an 11 yard pass to Vernon Davis who was stopped in his tracks with no YAC on the play. Smith's fault again? :shrug:

Rausch 06-01-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9723302)
I think the difference in the game was Kyle Williams. He not only turned it over in the worst possible moment, but he also fumbled earlier in the game and lost it.

When a player fumbles the ball twice in a big game like this and turns the ball over, a big part of the blame has got to be put on his shoulders.

If turnovers are the reason for losing games Manning OWNS failure.

He IS failure in the playoffs...

keg in kc 06-01-2013 11:43 AM

If you have to try so hard to convince yourself that a guy is adequate, that should probably tell you something.

SAUTO 06-01-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9723517)
If you have to try so hard to convince yourself that a guy is adequate, that should probably tell you something.

This.

And what does Manning on third downs have to do with anything?

He converted two in the second half, one for a touchdown.

Posted via Mobile Device

TheUte 06-01-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9723504)
The biggest two 3rd down plays that have come into question for the 49ers were the two before the mishandled punts. I believe the arguement is... "If Smith would have converted those, there would have been no need for the punt", or something like that.

The 1st one was a 3rd and 1. Running play behind the RG for no gain. Obviously the blame must go to Smith, correct?

The 2nd one was a 3rd and 12. Smith completed an 11 yard pass to Vernon Davis who was stopped in his tracks with no YAC on the play. Smith's fault again? :shrug:

So which would Harbaugh take no turnovers or 2 more 3rd down conversions?

bowener 06-01-2013 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AIR SMITH!!!
nocurrifQ

Coogs 06-01-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9723517)

I'm not trying to convince myself. I just fail to see where some of these arguements that Smith sux hold much water.

Saying the reason the 49ers didn't beat the G-men in the NFC Championship was because Smith sucked on 3rd down just does not appear to be correct.

Look, I'm not expecting to see Joe Montana in his prime out of Smith. But I am excited to see what he may bring to this team.