ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Christopher Nolan's next: 'Interstellar' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268701)

DaneMcCloud 11-14-2014 12:30 PM

Since I won't see this film until it hits DVD or premium cable, I "spoiled" myself last night by reading about the final hour of the movie.

As someone well versed in quantum physics and Einstein's theories (a year of high school and a year of college physics), let me just say, I'm glad I didn't see it in a theater.

Rausch 11-14-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11110058)
Since I won't see this film until it hits DVD or premium cable, I "spoiled" myself last night by reading about the final hour of the movie.

As someone well versed in quantum physics and Einstein's theories (a year of high school and a year of college physics), let me just say, I'm glad I didn't see it in a theater.

My guess would be this is all based on Hawking's theories about singularities.

Spoiler!

DaneMcCloud 11-14-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11110421)
My guess would be this is all based on Hawking's theories about singularities.

Spoiler!

I suppose. I'll still see the film but it sounds like a very awkward final hour with too many stories attempting to resolve simultaneously.

Bowser 11-15-2014 07:26 PM

Loved it.

Spoiler!

JD10367 11-16-2014 12:11 PM

The sound issues are definitely because of the mix. Nolan has admitted as much. It's bass heavy and music heavy on purpose. In an IMAX theater the expensive sound system may compensate for some of this, but many regular multiplexes probably have subpar sound (cracked speakers, bad levels, bad soundproofing) and this will exacerbate the issue.

We dusted off our IMAX film system so I'm trapped up there again until mid-December. I'm currently watching the film for around the 15th time.

Deberg_1990 11-16-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 11114280)
The sound issues are definitely because of the mix. Nolan has admitted as much. It's bass heavy and music heavy on purpose. In an IMAX theater the expensive sound system may compensate for some of this, but many regular multiplexes probably have subpar sound (cracked speakers, bad levels, bad soundproofing) and this will exacerbate the issue.

We dusted off our IMAX film system so I'm trapped up there again until mid-December. I'm currently watching the film for around the 15th time.

This. He basically admitted in this interview he did it for 'artistic' reasons

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...stellar-749465

“Many of the filmmakers I’ve admired over the years have used sound in bold and adventurous ways. I don’t agree with the idea that you can only achieve clarity through dialogue. Clarity of story, clarity of emotions — I try to achieve that in a very layered way using all the different things at my disposal — picture and sound.”

“The theaters I have been at have been doing a terrific job in terms of presenting the film in the way I intended,” he continued. “Broadly speaking, there is no question when you mix a film in an unconventional way as this, you’re bound to catch some people off guard, but hopefully people can appreciate the experience for what it’s intended to be.”

DaneMcCloud 11-16-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 11114280)
The sound issues are definitely because of the mix.

It's not because of the "mix". It's because many movie theaters aren't properly equipped with sound systems that can handle this type of mix appropriately.

It's a bold move. He's literally saying "I'm not going to compromise my vision because some movie theaters can't handle it".

It's interesting that he visited some of the best and well-known movie theaters in the world to see how it translated. He's clearly not concerned about tiny AMC theaters with crappy sound.

DaneMcCloud 11-16-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11115511)
This. He basically admitted in this interview he did it for 'artistic' reasons

"Artistic" doesn't mean "bass heavy".

Rausch 11-16-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11110438)
I suppose. I'll still see the film but it sounds like a very awkward final hour with too many stories attempting to resolve simultaneously.

I'd say that's a fair criticism.

He's trying to introduce pretty much every major theme in life and find a way to address it while being ambiguous...

Bowser 11-16-2014 11:59 PM

I saw it in IMAX at the AMC Barrywoods location. When the music would hit a crescendo, it sounded like the speakers were blown with this weird reverb noise. Maybe it was part of the track, but I hope not.

jiveturkey 11-17-2014 07:25 AM

I was blown away by it.

Nirvana58 11-18-2014 11:45 AM

Saw the movie last weekend. Thought it was a decent flick but I couldn't get past this one flaw. Been awhile since I have read up on physics and the universe. So maybe one of you smart people could help explain if I am wrong here.

Spoiler!

bowener 11-18-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 11123510)
Saw the movie last weekend. Thought it was a decent flick but I couldn't get past this one flaw. Been awhile since I have read up on physics and the universe. So maybe one of you smart people could help explain if I am wrong here.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Demonpenz 11-18-2014 08:54 PM

Armagagedan reboot.

Bowser 11-18-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 11124879)
Armagagedan reboot.

I heard Billy Butler's voice when I read that.