ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Elder Scrolls MMO Announced (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259190)

Javabean 11-25-2013 12:20 PM

GW2 originally released to alpha without quests -- instead, players were to level through dynamic events exclusively. The problem they had was that players didn't know where to go, and without quests, the developers didn't have a way to lead them around the world.

It's an interesting problem. While obviously the biggest strength to me of MMOs is the end game, a lot of people enjoy exploring giant worlds and interacting with lots of people in a more illusory manner. Levelling can be accomplished in other ways -- I really like Neverwinter's player made content system -- but the exploration of a persistent world is a different issue.

Blizzard is trying to bypass it in a game that's been out for almost a decade. What I'd like to see is something like EQNext's "Minecraft" world-building system be able to replace questing, but that may be asking too much for an MMO.

Pants 11-25-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javabean (Post 10223818)
GW2 originally released to alpha without quests -- instead, players were to level through dynamic events exclusively. The problem they had was that players didn't know where to go, and without quests, the developers didn't have a way to lead them around the world.

It's an interesting problem. While obviously the biggest strength to me of MMOs is the end game, a lot of people enjoy exploring giant worlds and interacting with lots of people in a more illusory manner. Levelling can be accomplished in other ways -- I really like Neverwinter's player made content system -- but the exploration of a persistent world is a different issue.

Blizzard is trying to bypass it in a game that's been out for almost a decade. What I'd like to see is something like EQNext's "Minecraft" world-building system be able to replace questing, but that may be asking too much for an MMO.

I had an incredibly fun experience leveling up in GW2. They did such an amazing job with everything from how you level up to the gear customization to crafting to just exploring. Everything was engaging, somewhat challenging at times but never to leave you frustrated. The world events were pure ****ing butter in the bread and butter of the leveling game. The heart quests were the bread. Everything was smooth, satisfying and synergetic. Getting 100% on the world exploration achievement was hella fun too.

Too bad the game had zero end game. Farming karma was only fun for so long and the dungeons where challenging and fun at times but didn't honestly provide much reward. Once you hit the cap and got all the items you wanted to complete your badass look, it was GG.

DC.chief 11-26-2013 12:42 PM

I played the beta all of about an hour before I had as much as I could take. Its a new skin on the same old bs mmo. IMO FFXIV is far superior to it. I realize they will make some changes since it's in beta but its a far cry from what ffxiv offers. I really wanted to like it though because I have really enjoyed the franchise otherwise.

Course that is my opinion and opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

Hammock Parties 11-26-2013 06:54 PM

cant even log on to a server right now...wheee

hometeam 11-26-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10227663)
cant even log on to a server right now...wheee

So... thoughts?

hometeam 11-26-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC.chief (Post 10226641)
I played the beta all of about an hour before I had as much as I could take. Its a new skin on the same old bs mmo. IMO FFXIV is far superior to it. I realize they will make some changes since it's in beta but its a far cry from what ffxiv offers. I really wanted to like it though because I have really enjoyed the franchise otherwise.

Course that is my opinion and opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

As I was playing, I reflected on it and it reminded me a TON of FFXIV.

Except, no random events, and they did everything about 10% as good.

And I couldnt even get to max level in ffxiv before giving out :(

I decree that Elder Scrolls MMO is FFXIV if done extremely poorly.

I DECREE IT

Hammock Parties 11-26-2013 07:16 PM

That was my first attempt at playing.

hometeam 11-26-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10227717)
That was my first attempt at playing.

Oh wait. Duh.

The beta test ended sunday at midnight. Dont worry, the account will remain active for the next beta weekend.

Hammock Parties 11-26-2013 07:19 PM

I guess closed beta isn't the same as open beta.

Any idea when the next beta weekend will be? They only do this on weekends? ASFAOKSDAKAOSKDAOSKA

hometeam 11-26-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10227728)
I guess closed beta isn't the same as open beta.

Any idea when the next beta weekend will be? They only do this on weekends? ASFAOKSDAKAOSKDAOSKA

Nah dont think its been announced.

And yes its closed beta testing, its whenever they see fit.

Setsuna 11-26-2013 07:24 PM

Well I've read your opinions and conclude FFXIV is better. Thanks guys.

hometeam 11-26-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10227749)
Well I've read your opinions and conclude FFXIV is better. Thanks guys.

Why are you so butthurt in this thread? Do you own stock in Zenimax? Are you a developer?

Have you played this yet? The game is a disaster, waiting to take a shit all over the Elder Scrolls franchise. Years from now, this will be 'that game' that doesn't really 'count' and is gratefully forgotten.

Maybe you can have some fun with this game, and that's fine. Most people, including the people they are going after, will not. There is a reason its getting panned across the internet.

Hammock Parties 11-26-2013 08:09 PM

At least it's an MMO, a prequel, and not really a continuation of the Elder Scrolls story.

kaplin42 01-15-2014 02:37 PM

Did anyone play this last weekend's beta? I got the invite but was not going to waste my time with the download. I was just curious if they made any real changes or if it is still on it's way to one of the worst launches in MMO history?

hometeam 01-15-2014 03:43 PM

I thought about logging in, but then thought again :/