ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2014 AL Champion Royals Off-season Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288241)

tomahawk kid 11-12-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 11105030)
Okay what the hell is up with the talk of a new downtown stadium again? The Star and KC Business Journal have both done stories and polls on it.

Kietzman is a ghost writer for both.

As such, there will be foul ball nets that run from foul pole to foul pole.

:p

alnorth 11-12-2014 10:05 AM

Also for Tomas, I think the bare minimum to be a viable competitive bid (which probably won't get him) is about 7/70

alnorth 11-12-2014 10:12 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Royals signed IF Ryan Roberts and LHP Joe Paterson to minor-league deals.</p>&mdash; Andy McCullough (@McCulloughStar) <a href="https://twitter.com/McCulloughStar/status/532566402788782081">November 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ehh, fine

Sure-Oz 11-12-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11105540)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Royals signed IF Ryan Roberts and LHP Joe Paterson to minor-league deals.</p>— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughStar) <a href="https://twitter.com/McCulloughStar/status/532566402788782081">November 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ehh, fine

The Royals tattoo #s just increased alot

TomBarndtsTwin 11-12-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11105525)
Also for Tomas, I think the bare minimum to be a viable competitive bid (which probably won't get him) is about 7/70

I think 4/60 mil. could get him. If successful in MLB, would put him back on the F.A. Market at age 28, when he could sign a really big deal.

As you stated, Santana wants years, so he could be signed at 5/60 mil.

But, no way do I see the Royals committing $120 mil. to two players, but I think that's what it would take for the Royals to get it done with this agent.

And, further, we would have to trade Holland to get his roughly 9 mil. per year salary off the books at that point.

But again, stuff of dreams . . . .

Anyong Bluth 11-12-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 11105467)
Just sign both of them. Santana wants to be a Royal. Royals have never really been in the Cuban prospects but they feel like they have a legit shot at him. He would cost around 15 mil a year

I wouldn't mind him back, I like the dude. It's too bad we didn't have him last season, because he ended up making the same money for his 1 year deal with Atlanta as what the Royals made to him with their qualifying offer... the what ifs if he was part of the rotation.

Anyong Bluth 11-12-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 11105676)
I think 4/60 mil. could get him. If successful in MLB, would put him back on the F.A. Market at age 28, when he could sign a really big deal.

As you stated, Santana wants years, so he could be signed at 5/60 mil.

But, no way do I see the Royals committing $120 mil. to two players, but I think that's what it would take for the Royals to get it done with this agent.

And, further, we would have to trade Holland to get his roughly 9 mil. per year salary off the books at that point.

But again, stuff of dreams . . . .

How's he think that's going to remotely happen and get a 5 year deal, when no one would offer him even a 3 year deal last off season?

duncan_idaho 11-12-2014 11:27 AM

General thoughts:

- Roberts is a nice little depth move. If Moustakas got hurt or completely sucked again, Roberts gives them a not-completely-terrible option. It probably doesn't matter, but it's still a smart move.

- Re: Tomas, I'd think KC's best option would be to offer a 3- or 4-year deal at a little more average salary than he's getting over 7 years.

- Re: Santana, a 4-5 year deal seems pretty scary for him because of his age. It's all about the total years/money. I would not be surprised if the market for him is again a little depressed and he ends up signing for a Lohse-like deal (3 years, $33 million).

Sure-Oz 11-12-2014 11:36 AM

Saw a tweet about the Padres looking to trade Cashner and Kennedy for offense

CaliforniaChief 11-12-2014 11:42 AM

Unfortunately we don't have any offense to trade...unless you're talking prospects.

Anyong Bluth 11-12-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 11105730)
General thoughts:

- Roberts is a nice little depth move. If Moustakas got hurt or completely sucked again, Roberts gives them a not-completely-terrible option. It probably doesn't matter, but it's still a smart move.

- Re: Tomas, I'd think KC's best option would be to offer a 3- or 4-year deal at a little more average salary than he's getting over 7 years.

- Re: Santana, a 4-5 year deal seems pretty scary for him because of his age. It's all about the total years/money. I would not be surprised if the market for him is again a little depressed and he ends up signing for a Lohse-like deal (3 years, $33 million).

I agree with you on Santana. I just don't see anyone offering him 4 or 5 years unless it's less money per year. There's more premium arms available this year, and he couldn't get a 3 year deal last year. So, what has changed, because in my eyes he's got less leverage than last year?

Sure-Oz 11-12-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 11105771)
Unfortunately we don't have any offense to trade...unless you're talking prospects.

Going to be prospects...I expect Kennedy to not cost as much cause he's a 1 yr guy

alnorth 11-12-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 11105778)
I agree with you on Santana. I just don't see anyone offering him 4 or 5 years unless it's less money per year. There's more premium arms available this year, and he couldn't get a 3 year deal last year. So, what has changed, because in my eyes he's got less leverage than last year?

Well, in 2012 he had a hilariously awful season (HR/9 was almost 2.0!!!), the Royals gave him a prove-it contract and he had a good season. However, teams still weren't sure which season was the real Ervin Santana, and it didn't help that he massively misread his own value by wanting a 9-digit deal and didn't come down until late in the offseason.

This time, he's got 2 good seasons, so now its easier to convince teams that 2012 was the outlier. Unfortunately, age is now starting to work against him too. So the 2nd good season gives him more leverage, but age might cancel that out. He should be expecting about 3/40 if he was being realistic.

CaliforniaChief 11-12-2014 12:01 PM

If we have guys like Manaea, Finnegan, Zimmer, and Almonte waiting in the wings, wouldn't you rather trade something for 1 year of Ian Kennedy (plus a comp. pick) than to give 3-4 years to Santana?

Believe me, I like Santana...but yeah.

BigCatDaddy 11-12-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 11105815)
If we have guys like Manaea, Finnegan, Zimmer, and Almonte waiting in the wings, wouldn't you rather trade something for 1 year of Ian Kennedy (plus a comp. pick) than to give 3-4 years to Santana?

Believe me, I like Santana...but yeah.

You never know how those guys will pan out and we will also need to replace Guthrie after next year so signing Santana is one less spot that need to be filled in 16 by someone unproven.