ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847605)
Ok, I was wrong. Still don't care and would trade anyone that I thought gave the team, Major league, a chance to win.

Fair point. I think the main thesis here is that when Petro says something about MLB (esp a trade proposal), start laughing the second he begins. Just laugh at him. He's a clown who deserves nothing more.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847589)
We should worry about 2014 in the winter. Prices are higher on deadline day than in the winter. We probably shouldn't pay for 2 months of a guy, to the extent that we try at all to win in 2013, we need at least a year and 2 months, but if we really think this team as-is will finish .500 as suggested above, then we shouldn't trade for anyone today.

Then that's a reason to trade Santana: It addresses 2014 and takes advantage of high prices on deadline day.

I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with doing nothing.

alnorth 07-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9847604)
They absolutely should worry about 2014 now.

ONLY to the extent that they say "we need this guy for 2013, but while we're at it, make sure he's here for 2014 also" Thats it.

If, as was suggested last page, this team is .500 as-is, then we're done. We stand pat and wait for the winter, because prices for 2014 are lower in the winter than they are right now.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847603)
I'm not crazy about the Myers/Shields trade and will consider it a colossal failure if they don't make the playoffs this year or next. But at least the value was pretty damn close to correct.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9847500)
I don't listen to petro on baseball...esp after the myers for jurjjens bs

Petro is actually very knowledgeable regarding baseball, he can go a bit over-board on his "stance" sometimes, though.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847598)
Dead ass wrong. It was after the 2011 season where Wil had just completed a year in AA. He was 10th in the prospect ratings before that year and 28th after. He was not "that low" in the system nor was he not universally accepted as a high end prospect by then.

Here's the trade article:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...n-prado-offer/

And... boom.

Myers' had a down 2011 (while injured and transitioning to a new position) but was still a consensus top 25-30 prospect who was about 1.5-2 years away from MLB.

alnorth 07-31-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847611)
Then that's a reason to trade Santana: It addresses 2014 and takes advantage of high prices on deadline day.

I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with doing nothing.

Correct. For baseball reasons, we should trade Santana. He's not being traded basically for business reasons.

edit: unless we can somehow re-sign Santana for a reasonable deal, of course.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-31-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847510)
I want wins in the majors, too, obviously... but know that for KC, wins in the minors translate into wins in the majors, long-term.

Petro has gotten better in the past few years about recognizing the value long-term control of good young players and ESPECIALLY in looking at more advanced stats and realizing that SPs, especially, are much more than ERA and W/L.

The Yankees' approach works FINE as long as you have cash to pay the vets AND trade your prospects for truly good players.

with a good organization I would agree, but this is not a good organization. We don't develop talent very well. He wants to use prospects to maximize their "hype" in acquiring wins for the short window we have.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847610)
Fair point. I think the main thesis here is that when Petro says something about MLB (esp a trade proposal), start laughing the second he begins. Just laugh at him. He's a clown who deserves nothing more.

I laugh more at people that want to do nothing and expect to win games at some point.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9847615)
Petro is actually very knowledgeable regarding baseball, he can go a bit over-board on his "stance" sometimes, though.

Message boards are known for their clear and rational thoughts however. He is a baseball nerd just like all of us.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847605)
Ok, I was wrong. Still don't care and would trade anyone that I thought gave the team, Major league, a chance to win.

And that mindset is how a half-season of Doyle Alexander gets swapped for John Smoltz or a 1/2 season of Larry Anderson gets swapped for Jeff Bagwell or a 1/2 season of Mark De Rosa turns into Carlos Santana.

I'm fine with trading prospects to improve the major league team when appropriate (makes sense when you're .500 or better but does not when you're going to lose 100 games regardless), but saying willy-nilly you'll trade off any prospect for a guy who can help the big league club without also taking into consideration long-term loss (prospect) vs. short-term gain (the major leaguer) ... no way.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847584)
Can you even imagine trading Duffy or Ventura for a 0.7 WAR SS who is set to make 9M the next THREE years and who turns 30 this winter? I mean could we get any dumber than that?

Of course the previous 4 years he has a War of over 3.1, wouldn't need that at second now.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9847621)
with a good organization I would agree, but this is not a good organization. We don't develop talent very well. He wants to use prospects to maximize their "hype" in acquiring wins for the short window we have.

I have no issue with that, as long as the players that are coming back are actually "good."

Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado, Erick Aybar, Rickie Weeks, etc. are not actually good.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:17 AM

This is what makes MLB trade deadline day fun.

From mlbtraderumors.com -
Quote:

12:11pm: Saunders is not a target for the Orioles right now, hears Connolly.

12:02pm: The Orioles are interested in a reunion with Joe Saunders, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:25 AM

Fun rumor:
D-Backs shopping Ian Kennedy and looking for bullpen help.

Royals give:
Luke Hochevar
Tim Collins
Kyle Smith?

Royals get:

Ian Kennedy

Immediate thoughts? Kennedy is having a bad season, but his peripheral suggest he has been really unlucky. His walk rate has increased slightly, but the main issue is that his strand rate has dropped like a rock. HIs LD% is up a bit, but his BABIP is still about the league aveage (.306). His strikeout rate has dropped about one percent. Velo charts don't show anything to be concerned about.

He's in his first arbitration year. You'd have two years of control, and he'd probably cost about $5.5-6 million next year and about 7-8 million the year after (assuming he bounces back).

How much would you be willing to sweeten the pot?

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847664)
Fun rumor:

Royals give:
Luke Hochevar
Tim Collins
Kyle Smith?

Royals get:

Ian Kennedy

Immediate thoughts?

I'm sure you already figured, but I would do it in a heartbeat. Kennedy in the rotation, Davis to the 'pen.

Archie F. Swin 07-31-2013 11:30 AM

I'm probably simplifying things, but it seems to me that while Davis has been suspect at best, Shields has been unlucky. Not since Greinke have I seen bats routinely freeze. Either that or the pen shitz the bed after a good start by James.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847664)
Fun rumor:

Royals give:
Luke Hochevar
Tim Collins
Kyle Smith?

Royals get:

Ian Kennedy

Immediate thoughts? Kennedy is having a bad season, but his peripheral suggest he has been really unlucky. His walk rate has increased slightly, but the main issue is that his strand rate has dropped like a rock. HIs LD% is up a bit, but his BABIP is still about the league aveage (.306). His strikeout rate has dropped about one percent. Velo charts don't show anything to be concerned about.

He's in his first arbitration year. You'd have two years of control, and he'd probably cost about $5.5-6 million next year and about 7-8 million the year after (assuming he bounces back).

How much would you be willing to sweeten the pot?

Angels want Kennedy pretty bad is the other rumor, lets get a three way going.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9847679)

Hochevar to AZ
Kennedy to LA
Kendrick to KC

Let's all make some calls.

Archie F. Swin 07-31-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847642)
"

Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado, Erick Aybar, Rickie Weeks, etc. are not actually good.

Petro suggested that we have the personnel (coaches) to make weeks better.

RockChalk 07-31-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847680)
Hochevar to AZ
Kennedy to LA
Kendrick to KC

LMAO

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9847679)

I like how you think.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847670)
I'm sure you already figured, but I would do it in a heartbeat. Kennedy in the rotation, Davis to the 'pen.

It seems they want Luke Gregerson and Joe Thatcher from the Padres.

Hochevar and Collins would be a similar value, Smith is a nice sweetener (and buried in KC's SP prospect chart ... Zimmer, Mondesi, Duffy, Almonte, Manaea all rank higher than him, at least).

alnorth 07-31-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847680)
Hochevar to AZ
Kennedy to LA
Kendrick to KC

I would spend the entire day laughing maniacally if that actually happened.

Mama Hip Rockets 07-31-2013 11:38 AM

MLB Network is saying right now that the Padres are closing in on Kennedy.

Archie F. Swin 07-31-2013 11:39 AM

Thank God its almost over. I can stop mainlining twitter.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9847681)

Because he likes Ned Yost? I don't know that Ned can make him magically lose 15-20 pounds.

Back to Kennedy...

Young, cheap, buy-low opportunity. He'd be a nice piece to move to LA if you really want Kendrick, but I think it also makes sense to buy him low with the intention of slotting him in the No. 2 or 3 spot in your rotation next year and the year after.

Dbacks don't want much for him. Joe Thatcher is a solid veteran LH reliever, and he's supposedly the key piece in their deal. He's tough on lefties but not dominant and gets rocked by righties. Gregerson is a good reliever, but not exactly Kimbrel or Rivera, either.

I'm confident KC COULD beat any package the Padres offer for Kennedy, but WILL it?

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9847699)
MLB Network is saying right now that the Padres are closing in on Kennedy.

Booo. Booo.

Pick up the phone, Dayton!

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847708)
Because he likes Ned Yost? I don't know that Ned can make him magically lose 15-20 pounds.

Back to Kennedy...

Young, cheap, buy-low opportunity. He'd be a nice piece to move to LA if you really want Kendrick, but I think it also makes sense to buy him low with the intention of slotting him in the No. 2 or 3 spot in your rotation next year and the year after.

Dbacks don't want much for him. Joe Thatcher is a solid veteran LH reliever, and he's supposedly the key piece in their deal. He's tough on lefties but not dominant and gets rocked by righties. Gregerson is a good reliever, but not exactly Kimbrel or Rivera, either.

I'm confident KC COULD beat any package the Padres offer for Kennedy, but WILL it?

Would you go Crow? Coleman? Herrera?

tk13 07-31-2013 11:50 AM

I guess we'll see what the next couple hours bring. Sure seems like the second wild card has taken some of the steam out of the trade deadline in general. Too many teams still in it, and some of the teams that aren't don't want to give away too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847725)

Any of them.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847725)

Hochevar and Wade Davis to their 'pen for Ian Kennedy!

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847731)
Any of them.

Thought you would.

Our friends at RR are saying Holland for Kennedy straight up. I pass on that.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847737)
Thought you would.

I would pass on that, too, because it's underselling Holland.

Plus, you're overselling the market. Gregerson and Thatcher are good, but not THAT good. That's the compensation you're competing against.

No need to offer that much. Would be like bidding for something in an auction and going 25 percent over your budget for the item... when the current bidding was at 50 percent of your budget.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847708)

Double-A pitcher Matt Stites is in the Padres' offer for Kennedy, tweets Darren Smith of XX1090.

Stites is from Mizzou btw.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847749)
Double-A pitcher Matt Stites is in the Padres' offer for Kennedy, tweets Darren Smith of XX1090.

Stites is from Mizzou btw.

Stites is a small reliever.

Royals could counter that by offering someone like Kyle Smith, Jason Adam, etc. Even Will Smith.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:01 PM

Looking to beef up a late-innings relief corps that is tied for second in the majors with 19 blown saves, the Diamondbacks are close to sending starter Ian Kennedy to the Padres for lefty set-up man Joe Thatcher, according to CBSSports.com sources.

The Diamondbacks also would receive other players – likely two minor-leaguers – in the deal with Thatcher.

The Angels and another unidentified team or two also have been engaging the Diamondbacks in trade discussions for Kennedy, 28, who is in the midst of a rough season.

A 21-game winner in 2011, Kennedy is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA in 21 starts for the Diamondbacks this season. He also has a 1.419 WHIP, the worst of his career for a full season.

Among the reasons he is attractive to the Padres is that he is controllable through 2015.

Thatcher, 31, is 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA in 50 games for the Padres this summer and has been a dependable bullpen piece for them since 2009.

Only the Cubs, with 22 blown saves, have coughed up more save opportunities than the Diamondbacks, who now stand 3 ½ games behind the scorching-hot Dodgers in the NL West.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/sc...in-trade-talks

Mr. Laz 07-31-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9847681)

if we were good at making players better we wouldn't need to trade for anyone

alnorth 07-31-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847737)
Thought you would.

hey, I'm all on board the "closers are overrated" theory, but one of the exceptions is when you are chasing down 4 teams from 5 games back with 2 months to go and you are staring down the barrel of needing to win a bunch of 1-run games because of our light offense. If its 2015 and our window has closed and we can't win then sure, sell off the closer.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847767)
hey, I'm all on board the "closers are overrated" theory, but one of the exceptions is when you are chasing down 4 teams from 5 games back with 2 months to go and you are staring down the barrel of needing to win a bunch of 1-run games because of our light offense. If its 2015 and our window has closed and we can't win then sure, sell off the closer.

Agreed. I was fully in favor of trading Soria because we weren't going anywhere soon. But if you have a two-year window to compete, I think you hang on to Holland.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 12:05 PM

Saw this on Deadspin and it made me laugh -

Chad Qualls Celebrates Like A Marlin Should.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18vi...f/k-medium.gif

The Marlins are a gift.

tk13 07-31-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847767)

I think the bigger issue is the guy who is replacing him hasn't 100% proven he will keep the ball in the park. If Herrera was destroying worlds I'd consider the idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:12 PM

Sounds like Kennedy is San Diego bound.

This could end up being a deal we look back at and wish KC had gotten involved in. Strong candidate to bounce back, I think. As long as he stops throwing at guys' heads.

DJJasonp 07-31-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847800)
Sounds like Kennedy is San Diego bound.

This could end up being a deal we look back at and wish KC had gotten involved in. Strong candidate to bounce back, I think. As long as he stops throwing at guys' heads.

If you made that trade, it would give you the wiggle room to deal Santana (and hope Kennedy is a replacement for Santana's '13 production)......and get a legit 2B.

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847782)
The Marlins are a gif

FYP

Bowser 07-31-2013 12:18 PM

We haven't flirted with .500 this late in the season since 2003, and we are literally going to sit on our hands today. I just don't understand.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 9847815)
If you made that trade, it would give you the wiggle room to deal Santana (and hope Kennedy is a replacement for Santana's '13 production)......and get a legit 2B.

Yes. And allow you to focus on adding a 2B or RF bat in FA and stay out of the thin SP pool.

2014 rotation:

Shields
Kennedy
Guthrie
Duffy
Davis (Zimmer, Ventura breathing down his neck).

Kennedy would have an excellent bounce-back chance in KC's park and with KC's defense behind him. And would be controlled through 2015, giving you a better bridge to post-Santana and post-Shields life.

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9847824)
We haven't flirted with .500 this late in the season since 2003, and we are literally going to sit on our hands today. I just don't understand.

I think GMDM is making the right move. The only way I could see it being worth while for the Royals if they were able to acquire someone for the long run. It's not worth mortgaging the future for a PO run for a team that is on the fringe of being in the hunt. A month from now could be a different story, which could lead to Santana being dealt if they fall out of the hunt or see them acquire a rental if they are a game or 2 back from a WC or the division.

Messier 07-31-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9847824)

I agree.

I think the wrong approach is to say, things are going pretty good right now. Lets not rock the boat.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9847837)
I think GMDM is making the right move. The only way I could see it being worth while for the Royals if they were able to acquire someone for the long run. It's not worth mortgaging the future for a PO run for a team that is on the fringe of being in the hunt. A month from now could be a different story, which could lead to Santana being dealt if they fall out of the hunt or see them acquire a rental if they are a game or 2 back from a WC or the division.

I think most of us are advocating trading for players who help us in 2014 at least, if not also 2015 (such as Kendrick or Kennedy). I agree, I'm not interested in a two-month rental unless it's basically a giveaway for a lottery ticket prospect.

mr. tegu 07-31-2013 12:24 PM

Reports seem to indicate we have inquired about Kendrick so we can at least know he wants to improve the 2B position. How badly is the question.

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847851)
I think most of us are advocating trading for players who help us in 2014 at least, if not also 2015 (such as Kendrick or Kennedy). I agree, I'm not interested in a two-month rental unless it's basically a giveaway for a lottery ticket prospect.

I think the Royals are also in a much better position than the Indians. They won't be able to keep it up and the situation they are in pretty much forces them to be buyers.

Chief_For_Life58 07-31-2013 12:27 PM

i want MOARRR WINS!!!!

Mama Hip Rockets 07-31-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847782)
Saw this on Deadspin and it made me laugh -

Chad Qualls Celebrates Like A Marlin Should.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18vi...f/k-medium.gif

The Marlins are a gift.

ROFLROFLROFL

Do you have a link? I want to share this.

Bowser 07-31-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847851)

Yep, this.

Frankly I feel like us winning 9 of 11 to start the second half completely sent GMDM into a tailspin. We play well and show signs of life at a time he totally didn't expect it, and he is caught with his pants down in regards to improving the team THIS season to make a run. Maybe (hopefully) I'm completely wrong and we'll make a move soon, but it just doesn't have the "feel" of us getting anything done.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:29 PM

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m

Deal official: Kennedy from #DBacks to #Padres for Thatcher, Stiles and compensation-round pick.

RockChalk 07-31-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9847872)
ROFLROFLROFL

Do you have a link? I want to share this.

Right click and 'copy image location' is a fine place to start

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:30 PM

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 54s

Sources: #Angels likely to keep Kendrick. Can’t find the right match for a starting pitcher. Could revisit in off-season.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847890)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 54s

Sources: #Angels likely to keep Kendrick. Can’t find the right match for a starting pitcher. Could revisit in off-season.

"Can't find a team willing to deal a legit top-20 pitching prospect and willing to swallow 9M/year in the process"

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9847885)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m

Deal official: Kennedy from #DBacks to #Padres for Thatcher, Stiles and compensation-round pick.

Could have matched/topped that. Crap.

alnorth 07-31-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9847837)

The trading deadline is in 90 minutes. We can't deal Santana later unless he clears waivers, and there's no way that happens.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847896)
Could have matched/topped that. Crap.

I wonder if DM was even sniffing it.

Cephalic Trauma 07-31-2013 12:34 PM

Balls.

SO excited for a little over .500, no playoffs, and a comp pick heading into 2014!

tk13 07-31-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9847877)
Yep, this.

Frankly I feel like us winning 9 of 11 to start the second half completely sent GMDM into a tailspin. We play well and show signs of life at a time he totally didn't expect it, and he is caught with his pants down in regards to improving the team THIS season to make a run. Maybe (hopefully) I'm completely wrong and we'll make a move soon, but it just doesn't have the "feel" of us getting anything done.

Yeah, but that's how it's felt across the board today ... it's weird. So far today's highlight is a guy with a 5+ ERA getting traded to a 50-58 team.
Posted via Mobile Device

penbrook 07-31-2013 12:36 PM

Per Jim Bowden

Angels have had alot of action on Kendrick including: Blue Jays, Royals & Dodgers...they expect talks to continue thru day

Cephalic Trauma 07-31-2013 12:37 PM

Detoilet winning 9-1.

silver5liter 07-31-2013 12:37 PM

Kendricks agent says he hasnt talked to anyone about waiving the no trade clause though.

silver5liter 07-31-2013 12:38 PM

@Ken_Rosenthal Sources: Angels likely to keep Kendrick. Can’t find the right match for a starter. Could revisit in off-season.

welp

alnorth 07-31-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9847877)
Yep, this.

Well, lets keep it in perspective. As of this morning, the odds of making the playoffs were still roughly 2%. (which is why some people wanted to give up 2013, trade Santana, and focus on 2014)

We're in no-man's land. Close enough so that for business reasons we can't sell because the fans would freak, but we're not close enough to do anything too crazy for 2013 because statistically we're just not there, barring a lot of luck.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 12:41 PM

Typical Royals: Even when things are going unusually good, they're also going bad.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 12:46 PM

Scored 10 ER off Gio Gonzalez. With Cabrera getting the day off. Any doubt they're the best team in the AL?

mr. tegu 07-31-2013 12:47 PM

Something to remember.

We have played three less games than Cleveland. Four less than Baltimore. Three less than New York. Four less than Texas.

We may be five games back of the lead but we also more games to play to make up the difference.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 12:48 PM

Man, sometimes I hate thinking about Kevin Towers and Dayton Moore and other guys like that and how they do their jobs.

When I moved to KC and left sports journalism, I had a few friends and colleagues who strongly suggested I get into scouting as my next career. I did some initial work for it but decided I didn't want to live that lifestyle.

Then I look at guys like Towers and Moore and start fantasizing about actually trying to make trades with them, and it makes me wish I had stuck with scouting/front office track.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2013 12:53 PM

We have 31 games in August. 10 of them are against the Red Sox, Tigers, and Rays. The rest are against teams under .500. We have a fairly manageable schedule to make up some ground.

NJChiefsFan 07-31-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9847940)
Scored 10 ER off Gio Gonzalez. With Cabrera getting the day off. Any doubt they're the best team in the AL?

Doubt? Yes I think there is doubt. I don't agree that they are without a doubt better than TB or BOS. Gio had been scorching though.

Messier 07-31-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9847949)
Something to remember.

We have played three less games than Cleveland. Four less than Baltimore. Three less than New York. Four less than Texas.

We may be five games back of the lead but we also more games to play to make up the difference.

Or fall further back.

RockChalk 07-31-2013 01:03 PM

Justin Maxwell?

RockChalk 07-31-2013 01:05 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Royals&amp;src=hash">#Royals</a> acquire OF Justin Maxwell from <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a>.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/362649379376611328">July 31, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2013 01:05 PM

If the Royals keep their average month winning percentage expect for May, which is around .580. By Labor Day, the Royals should be about 70 wins and 65 loses, with at the end of that week - 12 straight against the Tigers and Indians.

silver5liter 07-31-2013 01:06 PM

Of course.... of ****ing course... royals...