ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

duncan_idaho 07-31-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10777463)
Could've Cespedes been had for Shields...I would've loved that trade

Probably.

Cespedes is a career .262/.318/.464 hitter who is slashing .256/.303/.464 this year. SLG is his biggest asset, by far.

tk13 07-31-2014 08:42 AM

Beane knows you can only start 4 guys in the playoffs right? I think pitching is more important than having a loaded lineup come playoff time so I like the idea here. This does mean one of the group of Kazmir/Gray/Chavez won't be a playoff starter though.

lcarus 07-31-2014 08:42 AM

HEY DETROIT

1, 2, KC's comin for you

3, 4 better lock your door

duncan_idaho 07-31-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10777478)
Beane knows you can only start 4 guys in the playoffs right? I think pitching is more important than having a loaded lineup come playoff time so I like the idea here. This does mean one of the group of Kazmir/Gray/Chavez won't be a playoff starter though.

Lester/Samardzija/Kazmir/Gray will be their playoff rotation. Will pwn souls.

tk13 07-31-2014 08:45 AM

Also, I can't remember the last time a contender traded away their #3 hitter at the trade deadline. What an interesting move.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why Not? 07-31-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10777488)

This. Kershaw vs Lester game 1. Gotta watch

tk13 07-31-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10777488)

I wonder if he's thinking about having to face Kershaw and Greinke. Have to get there first.
Posted via Mobile Device

tk13 07-31-2014 08:56 AM

Also, Jon Heyman reports the asking price for Marlon Byrd is very high. They apparently gave the Mariners a list of three top prospects and told them to pick two.
Posted via Mobile Device

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 09:01 AM

A's send Milone to Twinkies

I would've liked to have been in on Milone.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10777489)
Also, I can't remember the last time a contender traded away their #3 hitter at the trade deadline. What an interesting move.
Posted via Mobile Device

They'll run some sort of platoon of Gomes/Reddick/Vogt/Moss through LF and RF and get even better production, likely, than they were out of Cespedes.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2014 09:04 AM

Obv a move because he's sick of losing to Det in October.

A note on Lester: he was the other option for Myers. Conflicting info on whether Boston decided to end those talks or if we got Shields first. Lester ranks as the 8th best pitcher on that FG list showing Shields/Hamels a short distance back. But we don't know (a) if his injury at the time which slowed him down a bit in 2012 would flare up or (b) if he'd have enjoyed being in a small market like Shields did.

At any rate we could be dealing off Lester ourselves now and fans would be crying about how Myers is kicking ass in Boston sitting in an iced tub in the locker room, injured.

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 09:07 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Deal between <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twins?src=hash">#Twins</a> is straight up. Milone for Fuld.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/494861590966321153">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2014 09:09 AM

Fuld was dumped by the A's at the beginning of the season.

Sure-Oz 07-31-2014 09:25 AM

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Phillies talking to #Royals about A.J. Burnett. No indication that deal is close.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10777515)
I wonder if he's thinking about having to face Kershaw and Greinke. Have to get there first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got to get through Miguel Cabrera and Mike Trout first.

Sure-Oz 07-31-2014 09:27 AM

@Joelsherman1: #Cubs feel will deal Bonifacio #Pirates #Reds #Orioles #Royals #Mariners all have inquired. Cubs also could move LHR Russell/Wright

alnorth 07-31-2014 10:13 AM

The trade deadline is roughly 4 hours away. I'm still on board with doing absolutely nothing major, unless someone just blows us away with a ludicrous offer.

Toadkiller 07-31-2014 10:19 AM

Royals And Braves In Lead To Acquire Padres’ Denorfia
By Jeff Todd [July 31, 2014 at 11:15am CDT]
The Padres are very likely to move outfielder Chris Denorfia today, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who says that the Royals and Braves are currently the two likeliest destinations. The Mariners also have interest, according to a tweet from Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune.

Sure-Oz 07-31-2014 10:25 AM

Royals also interested in Jorge De larosa

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 10:25 AM

Sleeper trade - Price to Tigers.

Great Expectations 07-31-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 10777711)
The Padres are very likely to move outfielder Chris Denorfia today, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who says that the Royals and Braves are currently the two likeliest destinations. The Mariners also have interest, according to a tweet from Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune.

Why?

Bowser 07-31-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10777700)
The trade deadline is roughly 4 hours away. I'm still on board with doing absolutely nothing major, unless someone just blows us away with a ludicrous offer.

Things like us being "blown away" with good trade offers just don't happen to the Royals at the deadline.

Strongside 07-31-2014 10:34 AM

Let's go get Francouer, you guys.

Strongside 07-31-2014 10:34 AM

Let's go get Francoeur.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 10:34 AM

Geez it seems the Royals are on about everybody. Twitter is a buzzing.

Toadkiller 07-31-2014 10:37 AM

Cards getting Lackey it looks like.

Bowser 07-31-2014 10:41 AM

Look, we're way ahead of where we were this time last year. By that math, it means that we will inevitably make the playoffs, because science. We don't need no more stinking players.

BigBeauford 07-31-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10777760)
Look, we're way ahead of where we were this time last year. By that math, it means that we will inevitably make the playoffs, because science. We don't need no more stinking players.

Kansas City GMs love going down with the ship(i.e. Sticking with "their" guys).

Pitt Gorilla 07-31-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10777700)

Agreed.

Mama Hip Rockets 07-31-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 10777711)

33 years old with a .242/.293/.319 and 1 home run? Sounds about right for the Royals.

Reaper16 07-31-2014 11:02 AM

C'mon, Bonifacio trade. I want to see him reacquired, then released next month in a waiver trade gambit that doesn't pay off. I want the Dayton Moore failures to pile up higher & higher.

Bowser 07-31-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10777799)
C'mon, Bonifacio trade. I want to see him reacquired, then released next month in a waiver trade gambit that doesn't pay off. I want the Dayton Moore failures to pile up higher & higher.

You could argue that the sun is being blocked out due to those being piled up at this point.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 11:05 AM

Red Sox will probably be dealing some of their outfielders now. None of them fit for the Royals though.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2014 11:09 AM

DM in a really tough spot with our fans. They want him to pick up a 1-starter like Shields but not to give up anything of value. But then they really don't want him picking up anyone because our prospects are all good and all succeed. Plus we are out of it anyway. BUT WAIT! bIn another twist, now we should be goin after legit players. And no Donorfia or Boni. It's Byrd or what about Beltre? I'm sure we have some mid level dudes cruising NW Arky that other teams would be forced to accept?

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10777821)
DM in a really tough spot with our fans. They want him to pick up a 1-starter like Shields but not to give up anything of value. But then they really don't want him picking up anyone because our prospects are all good and all succeed. Plus we are out of it anyway. BUT WAIT! bIn another twist, now we should be goin after legit players. And no Donorfia or Boni. It's Byrd or what about Beltre? I'm sure we have some mid level dudes cruising NW Arky that other teams would be forced to accept?

Mitch Maier for Adrian Beltre should make everyone happy.

Unsmooth-Moment 07-31-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

SAUTO 07-31-2014 11:32 AM

lackey to the cards for allen craig and joe kelly

Unsmooth-Moment 07-31-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10777888)
lackey to the cards for allen craig and joe kelly

Lackey was appealing due to his $500K contract next season.. Watch him retire LMAO

BigCatDaddy 07-31-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

He is in a tough spot with the fans because they team has been shit the better part of 8 years and doesn't appear to be making the playoffs anytime soon.

alnorth 07-31-2014 11:42 AM

We're in a weird spot that pretty much points to doing nothing as the correct option. (at least nothing much, maybe a minor deal can be OK)

We're 5 games back of Detroit and 3.5 games back of the Wild Card with 2 months left. The Monte Carlo simulations currently have us at around a 12-17% chance of making the playoffs. (of course those odds go up if we win a few games and fall if we lose a few, but the only thing thats important is what the odds are today, since this is the trade deadline)

We're close enough that we can't wave the white flag especially given that we're the Royals, but we're far enough back that cashing in some of our valuable chips to make a run at it this year would probably be really stupid. Trading our top prospects might make our playoff odds go up to, what, 1 in 3 or so? If we had the division lead it might make sense, but in our spot we're probably not making the playoffs no matter what we do.

But probably not making the playoffs doesn't mean "we aren't making the playoffs with these guys" this year. Its unlikely, but unless you have a time machine, anyone who says otherwise is just flat-out wrong, and if we ultimately don't make the playoffs, that would not make them right as of July 31, 2014.

Shields is going to be worth a draft pick and we need him if we don't want to give up. We also need Holland if we aren't giving up. To the extent that we may want to make trades with 2015 or beyond in mind, we'll get a better deal in the winter.

So, we're in a weird no-man's land. Maybe we can pick up a mediocre outfielder for not much, but we can neither give up on our slim-but-not-zero chances at the postseason, nor should we invest further in what is probably a lost cause.

alnorth 07-31-2014 11:46 AM

Regardless of what Glass intends to do, hopefully DM thinks he's safe for next season. If he thinks he must make the playoffs this year to save his job, then he could do something really destructive for the future of the franchise.

Strongside 07-31-2014 11:53 AM

You guys are right. Moore is in a tough spot with the fans. And he should be. Other teams have rebuilt 2 times during his tenure here. He's proven nothing but an inability to develop offensive weapons in house, and has made several weird/stupid/ill-advised transactions over his time. Sure, he's won a few trades or gotten some good value from a few, but we should have seen some sort of success by now. I'm not talking about winning 85 games. I'm talking about the playoffs. Realistically, we should have made the playoffs in his 6th season and have been pushing for a title in his 8th. That's even being generous.

If he's feeling pressure from the fans, it's for good reason.

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 11:53 AM

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Been told <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rays?src=hash">#Rays</a> are definitely moving Price</p>&mdash; Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/statuses/494901204657668096">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

Great Expectations 07-31-2014 11:53 AM

Why would we get better offers for Holland in the Winter than now?

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 11:54 AM

Be TERRIFIED:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Based purely on the fact that Beane hasn&#39;t ripped off KC in a while, I have this awful feeling Moore will vastly overpay for Jason Hammel.</p>&mdash; Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) <a href="https://twitter.com/jazayerli/statuses/494903629451493376">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 11:54 AM

In all seriousness, Price probably going someplace like the Tigers

Strongside 07-31-2014 11:55 AM

You guys are right. Moore is in a tough spot with the fans. And he should be. Other teams have rebuilt 2 times during his tenure here. He's proven nothing but an inability to develop offensive weapons in house, and has made several weird/stupid/ill-advised transactions over his time. Sure, he's won a few trades or gotten some good value from a few, but we should have seen some sort of success by now. I'm not talking about winning 85 games. I'm talking about the playoffs. Realistically, we should have made the playoffs in his 6th season and have been pushing for a title in his 8th. That's even being generous.

CaliforniaChief 07-31-2014 11:57 AM

Yeah, I just have this impending sense of doom about what's about to happen.

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10777944)

See my sig lines.

Reaper16 07-31-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10777933)
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Been told <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rays?src=hash">#Rays</a> are definitely moving Price</p>&mdash; Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/statuses/494901204657668096">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

If I felt like being a total troll, I'd make a fake Andy McCullough Twitter account with tweets about Yordano Ventura pakcing up his locker & Aldaberto Mondesi being pulled from tonight's Wilmington lineup & etc.

Strongside 07-31-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10777948)
See my sig lines.

JFC

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10777952)
If I felt like being a total troll, I'd make a fake Andy McCullough Twitter account with tweets about Yordano Ventura pakcing up his locker & Aldaberto Mondesi being pulled from tonight's Wilmington lineup & etc.

Might as well. Seems that all the cool kids are doing it today.

CaliforniaChief 07-31-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10777952)

You'd have to add a Francouer line of tweets as well as Bonifacio coming over as well.

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 12:02 PM

I'd like to note that I was out in front of the Frenchy stuff:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=8155

Bufkin 07-31-2014 12:03 PM

If I'm Dayton, I call Tampa within the next 90 seconds, offer him Ventura, Mondesi, and Dozier for Price and a scrub.

Price and Shields at the top of the rotation. Deja Vu all over again.

Bufkin 07-31-2014 12:03 PM

If I'm Dayton, I call Tampa within the next 90 seconds, offer him Ventura, Mondesi, and Dozier for Price and a scrub.

Strongside 07-31-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Fisher (Post 10777964)

I don't see why anyone wants this. Doesn't matter when we can't score runs.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2014 12:05 PM

Please stop spamming the board Fisher, you idiot troll.

lcarus 07-31-2014 12:05 PM

So anyone else joinin me on the "we're takin this damn division" train?

Anyong Bluth 07-31-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10777911)
We're in a weird spot that pretty much points to doing nothing as the correct option. (at least nothing much, maybe a minor deal can be OK)

We're 5 games back of Detroit and 3.5 games back of the Wild Card with 2 months left. The Monte Carlo simulations currently have us at around a 12-17% chance of making the playoffs. (of course those odds go up if we win a few games and fall if we lose a few, but the only thing thats important is what the odds are today, since this is the trade deadline)

We're close enough that we can't wave the white flag especially given that we're the Royals, but we're far enough back that cashing in some of our valuable chips to make a run at it this year would probably be really stupid. Trading our top prospects might make our playoff odds go up to, what, 1 in 3 or so? If we had the division lead it might make sense, but in our spot we're probably not making the playoffs no matter what we do.

But probably not making the playoffs doesn't mean "we aren't making the playoffs with these guys" this year. Its unlikely, but unless you have a time machine, anyone who says otherwise is just flat-out wrong, and if we ultimately don't make the playoffs, that would not make them right as of July 31, 2014.

Shields is going to be worth a draft pick and we need him if we don't want to give up. We also need Holland if we aren't giving up. To the extent that we may want to make trades with 2015 or beyond in mind, we'll get a better deal in the winter.

So, we're in a weird no-man's land. Maybe we can pick up a mediocre outfielder for not much, but we can neither give up on our slim-but-not-zero chances at the postseason, nor should we invest further in what is probably a lost cause.

All in agreement.
The question is what is more important:

Ending the playoff drought, but giving up sustainable development of winning with cost friendly talent brought up or solidify the organization from a reputation standpoint as wanting to win and broker deals to get a serious push for at least one WC spot if not taking square aim at Detroit in th Central and hope that the momentum can be built upon with a playoff spot this year.

Mind you - this pitching staff come playoff baseball could be hell for other teams with a shortened rotation and our bullpen and defense. They get some pop in the top of the lineup and this club is a whole other animal.

TLO 07-31-2014 12:11 PM

Are we gonna get raped?

Discuss Thrower 07-31-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10777980)
Are we gonna get raped?

We got raped in the summer of 2006.

We just didn't realize it at the time. #FireGMDM

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10777981)
We got raped in the summer of 2006.

We just didn't realize it at the time. #FireGMDM

We were used to it by then.

KCCHIEFS27 07-31-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10777936)
Be TERRIFIED:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Based purely on the fact that Beane hasn't ripped off KC in a while, I have this awful feeling Moore will vastly overpay for Jason Hammel.</p>&mdash; Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) <a href="https://twitter.com/jazayerli/statuses/494903629451493376">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

Atleast we're not going after AJ Burnett any more.

C3HIEF3S 07-31-2014 12:18 PM

Have a feeling we aren't doing shit

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-31-2014 12:19 PM

I was excited when we hired dayton moore.

I was excited when we hired scott Pioli.

I was excited when I got married.

I am a ****ing Idiot.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 12:19 PM

I wonder if Arizona still has a man crush on Christian Colon, would be nice to pry Trumbo from them.

KCCHIEFS27 07-31-2014 12:21 PM

Joe Saunders also released this morning. 4th time this year he's been released. Must be a brutal scenario for him. I'd have to say, at this point, just retire Joe. Chris Denorfia to the Mariners..

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 12:22 PM

I wonder if Arizona still has a man crush on Christian Colon, would be nice to pry Trumbo from them.

siberian khatru 07-31-2014 12:22 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mariners?src=hash">#Mariners</a> have acquired Chris Denorfia from Padres.</p>&mdash; Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/GregJohnsMLB/statuses/494909141442633728">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

KCCHIEFS27 07-31-2014 12:22 PM

Joe Saunders also released this morning. 4th time this year he's been released. Must be a brutal scenario for him. I'd have to say, at this point, just retire Joe. Chris Denorfia to the Mariners..

alnorth 07-31-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10777999)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mariners?src=hash">#Mariners</a> have acquired Chris Denorfia from Padres.</p>&mdash; Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/GregJohnsMLB/statuses/494909141442633728">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

Good, I was thoroughly unimpressed with his stats

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 12:27 PM

I think it's time to start a new Royals thread. This one is getting Aids.

TLO 07-31-2014 12:39 PM

Lester will be starting against us this weekend.

Great.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2014 12:47 PM

Butler and Aoki out of the lineup tonight.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2014 12:47 PM

Billy and Aoki isn't in the lineup for tonight.

penbrook 07-31-2014 12:48 PM

Just think we could of gotten cespedes for Shields and Holland

alnorth 07-31-2014 12:55 PM

Its probably nothing, but if we traded Butler for an outfielder who doesn't suck even if its just for the rest of this year, I'd be fine with that. Butler's gone after this season anyway and his value to the team is marginal.