ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

CoMoChief 10-29-2012 04:47 PM

If Hosmer has the most value.....trade him because Butler can play 1st.

At very worse train Wil Myers to play the position.

siberian khatru 10-29-2012 04:49 PM

I really don't want to trade Hosmer. I don't think they should be trading ML pieces at this point. They should be trading minor league talent -- although I'd prefer to hang on to Myers, too, to replace Frenchy.

I guess you could trade Hosmer, move Butler to 1B, Myers to RF and "find" a DH (or I guess "find" another 1B). Actually, I fear if they trade Hosmer that will just give them the excuse to keep playing Frenchy and put Myers at 1B.

But I still have a lot of faith in Hosmer, he was good his rookie year. If he had struggled like this his rookie year, I'd be a lot more nervous about him. But I'm very confident he will bounce back.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-29-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9063418)
If Hosmer has the most value.....trade him because Butler can play 1st.

At very worse train Wil Myers to play the position.

I'm not disagreeing with you but Butler can barely play first. With Hosmers crappy year he might be the guy I'd make available but PART of me says Myers simply because we have nothing to go on at the major league level.

Fire away.

CaliforniaChief 10-29-2012 04:51 PM

Hosmer's gonna be a stud. But pitching is king. (see SF Giants)

If you want a proven stud pitcher, you have to give up top hitting talent.

If Volstad and another mid-range pitcher are the only moves on this front, then I'm gonna kick myself for the rest of my life for not starting a banner-flying company in Kansas City last spring.

CaliforniaChief 10-29-2012 04:51 PM

Hosmer's gonna be a stud. But pitching is king. (see SF Giants)

If you want a proven stud pitcher, you have to give up top hitting talent.

If Volstad and another mid-range pitcher are the only moves on this front, then I'm gonna kick myself for the rest of my life for not starting a banner-flying company in Kansas City last spring.

duncan_idaho 10-29-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9063407)
2 questions for you Duncan.

1. Which guy would you move in that case?

2. What is your opinion on my take on Esky? I ask purely because I respect your take.

See my next post. I think you're dead-on. Errors and fielding percentage are a pretty antiquated way of looking at defense.

Who I would move would depend on who I can get. For David Price? I absolutely would move Eric Hosmer, and not think twice about it (Unless they're asking for one of the other guys, too, at which point it becomes too expensive for the Royals to do it).

For James Shields? No.

For Jeremy Hellickson? Hell no.

Basically, the cut-off for Hosmer comes down to getting a guy who is a legit 1 or 2, who is controlled for at least a few more seasons. Trading Hosmer now would be moving 5 years of service from him. That still holds a ton of value (though less than it did a year ago).

Myers and Moose don't have the same value, but you're looking for the same thing, ideally. A younger guy, probably more of a 2/3, who is controlled for at least 2-3 seasons more.

I hesitate to move either Butler or Gordon, who are proven and developed big-league hitters signed to reasonable deals long-term.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-29-2012 04:54 PM

IMO Volstad is just a stab in the dark like Paulino was. If you find something that's great, if not, so long.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-29-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9063430)
See my next post. I think you're dead-on. Errors and fielding percentage are a pretty antiquated way of looking at defense.

Who I would move would depend on who I can get. For David Price? I absolutely would move Eric Hosmer, and not think twice about it (Unless they're asking for one of the other guys, too, at which point it becomes too expensive for the Royals to do it).

For James Shields? No.

For Jeremy Hellickson? Hell no.

Basically, the cut-off for Hosmer comes down to getting a guy who is a legit 1 or 2, who is controlled for at least a few more seasons. Trading Hosmer now would be moving 5 years of service from him. That still holds a ton of value (though less than it did a year ago).

Myers and Moose don't have the same value, but you're looking for the same thing, ideally. A younger guy, probably more of a 2/3, who is controlled for at least 2-3 seasons more.

I hesitate to move either Butler or Gordon, who are proven and developed big-league hitters signed to reasonable deals long-term.

Saw it/responded and thanks.

duncan_idaho 10-29-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9063420)
I really don't want to trade Hosmer. I don't think they should be trading ML pieces at this point. They should be trading minor league talent -- although I'd prefer to hang on to Myers, too, to replace Frenchy.

I guess you could trade Hosmer, move Butler to 1B, Myers to RF and "find" a DH (or I guess "find" another 1B). Actually, I fear if they trade Hosmer that will just give them the excuse to keep playing Frenchy and put Myers at 1B.

But I still have a lot of faith in Hosmer, he was good his rookie year. If he had struggled like this his rookie year, I'd be a lot more nervous about him. But I'm very confident he will bounce back.

Agree.

Ideal outlook, if you trade Hosmer, is for it to end up like the Delmon Young deal. The Rays moved a guy who was perceived as a future offensive juggernaut (who had early, mixed success in the bigs but still a ton of value) for a hot pitching prospect and a few other useful pieces.

If they move Hosmer, you certainly hope he ends up being more Casey Kotchman than Justin Morneau.

I still believe Hosmer can be a superstar, and I love the guy (attitude, game, personality, etc - he's the type of player you love to see on your team). But I'd rather see them move him in a deal that makes THIS team more complete during this window and gives them a real chance to win.

duncan_idaho 10-29-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9063433)
IMO Volstad is just a stab in the dark like Paulino was. If you find something that's great, if not, so long.

That's what I hope. Take a few more of those (Mike Pelfrey/Jair Jurrjens/etc) and if you get something out of it, great. If not... oh well, you tried.

Kyle McClellan is someone I'd be interested in. Always pitched middle/late relief for St. Louis, and I know he's had arm trouble, but he has strikeout stuff and never has really gotten a shot as a starter. Might work, who knows?

In other news... apparently, the Angels ARE exploring Trades for Danny Haren (and Santana, too). I'll repeat my long-held stance:

Trade for Danny Haren (lottery-ticket arm, AAAA filler, intriguing position prospect with low floor but decent ceiling). They have a good relationship with the Angels.

Re-sign Guthrie.

Sign another legitimate MLB starter in FA (Sanchez will be harder now that Detroit is in the mix and he pitched so well in the postseason)

Go to work in 2013 with some experienced guys in spots 1-2-3 and a bunch of comp. for 4-5 (and depth). Then, when Duffy/Paulino/Lamb are back, you can wait until they're ready rather than hoping they are saviors.

CoMoChief 10-29-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9063424)
I'm not disagreeing with you but Butler can barely play first. With Hosmers crappy year he might be the guy I'd make available but PART of me says Myers simply because we have nothing to go on at the major league level.

Fire away.

Well Myers showed that he can out HR 3/4 of the Royals lineup alone. Yes that was at minor league ball...but the guys a gamer.

I don't wanna trade Hosmer either....I think he can turn it around and when he does he's gonna be one of the best in the league at his position.

But god damn this team needs pitching more than any other team in MLB. And you simply can't compete in the bigs w/o it, or even going half assed for that matter.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-29-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9063467)
Well Myers showed that he can out HR 3/4 of the Royals lineup alone. Yes that was at minor league ball...but the guys a gamer.

I don't wanna trade Hosmer either....I think he can turn it around and when he does he's gonna be one of the best in the league at his position.

But god damn this team needs pitching more than any other team in MLB. And you simply can't compete in the bigs w/o it, or even going half assed for that matter.

I don't want to trade Myers or Hosmer. Just trying to look at the situation without homer glasses... which is hard to do.

sedated 10-30-2012 07:57 AM

A lot of Royals “news” being discussed today on the radio, and no one here is jumping off bridges?

Deberg_1990 10-30-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9063426)
Hosmer's gonna be a stud.

Is he though? Im starting to get the feeling that hes going to be "solid" but not a Superstar like everyone originally thought. Kind of like another Alex Gordon.

Jenson71 10-30-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9065112)
A lot of Royals “news” being discussed today on the radio, and no one here is jumping off bridges?

What's happening?

Canofbier 10-30-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9065148)
Is he though? Im starting to get the feeling that hes going to be "solid" but not a Superstar like everyone originally thought. Kind of like another Alex Gordon.

Gordon is already one of the league's best LF. Very good defensively, and his production at the plate is pretty strong as well. It took him a while to get here, but I think he should be considered to be a bit better than "solid" at this point. How do you think he compares to his peers? I would put him up with Braun, Holliday and Hamilton. Each of those three has better offensive production (although Gordon's second half is arguably similar: OPS of .871 and 45 RBI in 77 games), but none have anywhere near the defensive value Gordon does.

I'd say Hosmer's potential at the plate is better even than Gordon's; I think that we can expect him to eventually produce at a level above what he did his rookie year, as his skills grow and he develops as a Major League hitter. If he can reduce some of the errors he was responsible for this season, he could also be one of the better defensive 1B in the game. Unless he fails to develop in either or both of these areas, I don't think it's a stretch to expect him to be one of the better 1B in the league over the course of his career.

petegz28 10-30-2012 08:38 AM

You can't trade both Hosmer and Myers. That's insane. Really I wouldn't trade either but one must give to get. The question you have to ask is, do you want Frenchy playing RF or Billay playing 1st base?

Deberg_1990 10-30-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9065195)
Gordon is already one of the league's best LF. Very good defensively, and his production at the plate is pretty strong as well. It took him a while to get here, but I think he should be considered to be a bit better than "solid" at this point. How do you think he compares to his peers? I would put him up with Braun, Holliday and Hamilton. Each of those three has better offensive production (although Gordon's second half is arguably similar: OPS of .871 and 45 RBI in 77 games), but none have anywhere near the defensive value Gordon does.

I'd say Hosmer's potential at the plate is better even than Gordon's; I think that we can expect him to eventually produce at a level above what he did his rookie year, as his skills grow and he develops as a Major League hitter. If he can reduce some of the errors he was responsible for this season, he could also be one of the better defensive 1B in the game. Unless he fails to develop in either or both of these areas, I don't think it's a stretch to expect him to be one of the better 1B in the league over the course of his career.

hes great definsively. I just meant a true "Superstar" like a 35-40 HR guy who can drive in 120+ runs. When will the Royals get one of those guys?

BWillie 10-30-2012 10:30 AM

If they trade anybody it should be Moustakas, Myers, or Bubba.

ChiefsCountry 10-30-2012 10:37 AM

I could live with trading Hosmer for David Price.

ShowtimeSBMVP 10-30-2012 10:39 AM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9065567)
I could live with trading Hosmer for David Price.

ChiefsCountry 10-30-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9065574)
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Hey dumb**** we aren't talking a straight trade you ****ing moron.

sedated 10-30-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9065163)
What's happening?

I haven’t seen the source, but something to the effect of:

- We’ve already given up on re-signing Guthrie because he wants a 3rd year.

- We signed Volstad (sp?), who appears to be another Hoch, out of the clearance bin.

- Dayton Moore’s comments were a pretty clear indication that payroll will be the same in 2013 as it was in 2012.

- KC has been mentioned in a trade for one of the Mariners top 3 pitching prospects, who will not be in the majors until the end of 2013 (at the soonest). Rany says it’s a bad sign that the KC front office is set on spending ZERO money in 2013 and will depend 100% on prospects for 2014 and beyond.

gblowfish 10-30-2012 10:52 AM

A poster said KC Royals marketing slogan in 2013 should be "Play Good Baseball."

Yep. Spot on.

Same old crap in a brand new box. No starting pitching, 90 loss season. Guaranteed.

gblowfish 10-30-2012 10:52 AM

A poster said KC Royals marketing slogan in 2013 should be "Play Good Baseball."

Yep. Spot on.

Same old crap in a brand new box. No starting pitching, 90 loss season. Guaranteed.

siberian khatru 10-30-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9065546)

I wonder which Moose we're liable to get from here on out -- first-half Moose or second-half Moose?

First-half bat, with that glove, even if he gets no better than that, he's a keeper.

Second-half bat, even if he fields better than Brooks Robinson and Graig Nettles combined, ain't gonna cut it.

And if the truth lies somewhere in between -- basically what he averaged out to at .240/.300/.400 -- I don't think that's good enough.

But that's debatable. His overall 2012 line (including fielding) was worth 2.9 WAR, which puts him 10th among MLB 3B and FIFTH among AL 3B. Not too shabby. For comparison, Ryan Zimmerman was 3.8 WAR.

Again, though, a good chunk of that is Moose's defense.

So how much bat can that glove carry?

jbwm89 10-30-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9065664)
I wonder which Moose we're liable to get from here on out -- first-half Moose or second-half Moose?

First-half bat, with that glove, even if he gets no better than that, he's a keeper.

Second-half bat, even if he fields better than Brooks Robinson and Graig Nettles combined, ain't gonna cut it.

And if the truth lies somewhere in between -- basically what he averaged out to at .240/.300/.400 -- I don't think that's good enough.

But that's debatable. His overall 2012 line (including fielding) was worth 2.9 WAR, which puts him 10th among MLB 3B and FIFTH among AL 3B. Not too shabby. For comparison, Ryan Zimmerman was 3.8 WAR.

Gotta think the bat will come around and be consistent, at least to a point.

I just keep reminding myself how young these hitters are, they are going to be very inconsistent. Look how long it took Billy to put it all together.

BigCatDaddy 10-30-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9065664)

All stats aside. I think Moose is a guy that can bring some much needed fire and leadership to the team as he matures.

Deberg_1990 10-30-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9065611)

Yep. Spot on.

Ive completely given up hope that this can be a competitive franchise again with Glass at the helm.. Ill always be a fan, i just will keep my expectations very, very low. They are what they are.

KCUnited 10-30-2012 11:27 AM

We just need the right 53 mph Chen fastball.

Chiefspants 10-30-2012 11:28 AM

If we trade Myers and have Frenchy, Hoch, and Faux Kyle Davies out there next year, it's really going to test my commitment as a fan.

Archie F. Swin 10-30-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9065546)

hey now...I gots a moose jersey

DeezNutz 10-30-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9065604)
I haven’t seen the source, but something to the effect of:

- We’ve already given up on re-signing Guthrie because he wants a 3rd year.

- We signed Volstad (sp?), who appears to be another Hoch, out of the clearance bin.

- Dayton Moore’s comments were a pretty clear indication that payroll will be the same in 2013 as it was in 2012.

- KC has been mentioned in a trade for one of the Mariners top 3 pitching prospects, who will not be in the majors until the end of 2013 (at the soonest). Rany says it’s a bad sign that the KC front office is set on spending ZERO money in 2013 and will depend 100% on prospects for 2014 and beyond.

Thanks for posting. Sounding more and more like the Royals are going to force me to take my passion for baseball elsewhere.

SAUTO 10-30-2012 02:23 PM

JFC. no way in hell should myers be moved

ShowtimeSBMVP 10-30-2012 04:03 PM

The White Sox announced that they have agreed to a two-year extension with Jake Peavy.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...yYXPgap80uX.99

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale

So just like that the #WhiteSox just spent $42.5 million on Peavy and Floyd including Peavy's buyout

noa 10-30-2012 04:22 PM

I guarantee we don't move Myers.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie 10-30-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9066146)
JFC. no way in hell should myers be moved

Why? He's not a proven commodity. He could pull a Teahen if all we know. If someone is willing to overvalue him in a trade, pull the trigger.

Sure-Oz 10-30-2012 04:37 PM

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Angels have explored the possibility of trading Dan Haren and Ervin Santana.
The Angels have until three days after the World Series to decide whether to pick up Haren's $15.5 million option and Santana's $13 million option, so they don't have a lot of time. It certainly makes sense to shop them, but the Angels likely won't fetch much in return since they are expected to decline the options if they can't find a match. Haren's buyout is worth $3.5 million while Santana's is $1 million. Haren's contract also includes a limited no-trade clause which blocks deals to 12 teams. Oct 29 - 5:28 PM
Source: CBSSports.com

I would hope the Royals would be in on this...won't take much as far as prospects go...not sure if we are on Harens no trade

Sure-Oz 10-30-2012 04:37 PM

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Angels have explored the possibility of trading Dan Haren and Ervin Santana.
The Angels have until three days after the World Series to decide whether to pick up Haren's $15.5 million option and Santana's $13 million option, so they don't have a lot of time. It certainly makes sense to shop them, but the Angels likely won't fetch much in return since they are expected to decline the options if they can't find a match. Haren's buyout is worth $3.5 million while Santana's is $1 million. Haren's contract also includes a limited no-trade clause which blocks deals to 12 teams. Oct 29 - 5:28 PM
Source: CBSSports.com

I would hope the Royals would be in on this...won't take much as far as prospects go...not sure if we are on Harens no trade

ChiefsCountry 10-30-2012 04:50 PM

Dan Haren is what we need to go after and we got the prospects to do it.

DeezNutz 10-30-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9066708)

Don't need to give up elite to get Haren.

ShowtimeSBMVP 10-30-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Did you watch Haren pitch this year? He lost like 4mph off his fastball.

CaliforniaChief 10-30-2012 04:59 PM

Rany wrote a long piece on Haren...I'm in for him.

Sure-Oz 10-30-2012 05:00 PM

Haren will just require like an A ball type player and just pay him $$$ for the year or maybe max 2 years.

No way Dayton can't be in on this unless he has them blocked

duncan_idaho 10-30-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Haren makes so much sense... it probably does not happen.

You can probably nab him for Louis Coleman and a minor league filler (i.e. Brian Fletcher)

duncan_idaho 10-30-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9066719)

No.

His average fastball velocity was down about 1 mph from a season ago. He dealt with back trouble early in the year, which affected his velocity a bit. He also is entering his early 30s, when most guys lose a tick or two (without steriods).

His fastball has fallen off about 3 MPH over the past 6 years, which is not unusual. And he has had tremendous success with decreased velo, because he's never been a guy who relied on blowing people away with velocity. Movement and control are his keys, and he still has plenty of both.

SAUTO 10-30-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9066719)

Go **** yourself. Why do you even open this thread?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 10-30-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9066627)
Why? He's not a proven commodity. He could pull a Teahen if all we know. If someone is willing to overvalue him in a trade, pull the trigger.

Because I think it would be a terrible idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 10-30-2012 06:01 PM

It's unlikely that Myers' HR production will not translate reasonably well at the next level. Even if he hits .250, we need a guy who can hit 30+ HRs.

Trading him would be a mistake at this point, given the equally appealing talent that we have that is farther from the league.

Three7s 10-30-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9066934)
It's unlikely that Myers' HR production will not translate reasonably well at the next level. Even if he hits .250, we need a guy who can hit 30+ HRs.

Trading him would be a mistake at this point, given the equally appealing talent that we have that is farther from the league.

If we did trade him, I'd want a pitcher in the league right now, a hot pitching prospect in AAA, and another really good prospect position player in no lower than AA.

SAUTO 10-30-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 9066953)
If we did trade him, I'd want a pitcher in the league right now, a hot pitching prospect in AAA, and another really good prospect position player in no lower than AA.

There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 10-30-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9067008)
There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.
Posted via Mobile Device

That ****ing clapping gif.

Toadkiller 10-30-2012 08:09 PM

Congratulations to Gordon for winning the Gold Glove.

KevB 10-30-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9066916)
Go **** yourself. Why do you even open this thread?
Posted via Mobile Device

So duncan can put him in his place?

Sure-Oz 10-30-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 9067285)
Congratulations to Gordon for winning the Gold Glove.

Cool that they had him on the show too.

Love Gordon

Great Expectations 10-30-2012 08:24 PM

If a player has 12 teams that are on his no trade list you can bet the Royals are one of the twelve.

SAUTO 10-30-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9067337)
If a player has 12 teams that are on his no trade list you can bet the Royals are one of the twelve.

I thought that too
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho 10-30-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9067337)

You're talking about Haren?

He only has 8 teams on his no-trade clause at this point.

SAUTO 10-30-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9067383)
You're talking about Haren?

He only has 8 teams on his no-trade clause at this point.

Does anyone know what teams?
I would think the royals would be one of the eight even
Posted via Mobile Device

CaliforniaChief 10-30-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9067388)
Does anyone know what teams?
I would think the royals would be one of the eight even
Posted via Mobile Device

Would a high caliber player ever even think that a team like the Royals would be worth blocking?

SAUTO 10-30-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9067394)
Would a high caliber player ever even think that a team like the Royals would be worth blocking?

Yeah. They block all shit teams.
Posted via Mobile Device

SPchief 10-31-2012 11:32 AM

Royals declined Soria's $8MM option

siberian khatru 10-31-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 9068551)
Royals declined Soria's $8MM option

That was the obvious move, but with this franchise you never know.

ShowtimeSBMVP 10-31-2012 12:45 PM

On October 30, 2012 at 9:44:52 PM EDT, KCRoyalFan wrote:

I got to talk briefly today with GMDM (General Manager Dayton Moore) for non-Royals fans. Actually, if you're not a Royals fan you can just tune out.

My thoughts:

First off, I was impressed that he took the time to talk to and field questions from those of us who showed up at the season ticket holders Select-A-Seat event. It wasn't advertised to us that he would be there, but he took the time to do it. I appreciated that.

Concerning statements: I'm paraphrasing, so don't interpret my quotes as direct quotes, but they're as close as I can remember:

"We're never going to have an $85 million dollar payroll."

At face value that statement alone is jaw dropping. We all know the numbers being thrown around out there - that by 2014 the TV deal will give every team an extra $25-$30 million per year. Given that in recent years the Royals payroll has been as high as $70 million, a payroll of $100 million in the next few years does not seem out of the question. I'm not going to hold him to that and ridicule him for it, though. A fellow fan immediately asked the follow-on about the TV deal. He deflected it a little, saying that the numbers thrown around on the internet aren't necessarily accurate, but that every team having extra money won't make the Royals able to spend more than the big market teams. A valid point, but if he truly meant that they will never spend $85 million, the only logical conclusion would be that they would be pocketing more profit. I sure hope that's not what he meant.

"We are always going to be a young team."

That says to me that he expects the pattern of letting our best players go when they reach free agency continue. I don't know how else to take that.

"Yes..."

This was a response to a direct question that I asked him - "Do you believe you can contend for the playoffs with Luke Hochevar in the rotation?" The "..." was helpful, but not entirely comforting. I knew he couldn't respond by saying, "Absolutely not - it's my mission to get rid of him." He acknowledged my frustration, and he could probably see some anger in my eyes as soon as he said yes. He said that he will be looking to improve upon Luke's spot in the rotation (but didn't clarify whether that would definitely be by replacement or by Luke somehow finally putting it all together magically) and said that he will always support his players as long as they are in the organization (which at least gives me some measure of hope that he could be let go in the offseason).

He reiterated his standard lines about taking time to build. Afterwards in a smaller group he said that he really thought it would be 2014 before they were ready to contend from beginning to end of the season. I agree, but I really feel that creatively they could make a strong push to move that timetable up by a year, and there doesn't seem to be a willingness to expend the money to do that. He made a statement something along the lines of "If you had access to all the information I have, you would make a lot of the same decisions as me..." I can't refute that, but it seems disingenuous, particularly when there is a mountain of knowledge out there in the public arena that other teams seem to take more seriously than the Royals do.

He said that Wil Myers will be competing for a starting position in 2013, but of course didn't promise to replace Frenchy.

He also said they were offered a trade by an unnamed team the other day: 2 unnamed pitchers (one of whom was "half a year away" from the majors and the other "a year and a half away") in exchange for Sal Perez. He said this to illustrate that he considered his virtually untradeable players to be Sal and Escobar. I can certainly agree with that.

Altogether, I came away glad to have the chance to hear him talk directly and answer questions. He personally came up to me afterwards and thanked me for asking the Hochevar question. I believe he wants to win. But I also believe that his hands are tied when it comes to money. Nothing he said alleviated that concern. I'm also not convinced that he's paying enough attention to advanced statistics. I'm thinking of more questions I wish I could have asked right now. I'm also sure I'm missing something else interesting he said. Oh well. Ultimately, all we can do is hope. Which I'm afraid may be Dayton's ultimate strategy as well.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-31-2012 01:00 PM

Well maybe it's even time for us die hards to give up.

KCUnited 10-31-2012 01:18 PM

Taking my season ticket money this year and going to spring training instead. Taking my pops and my golf clubs to enjoy the best part of the Royals season.

tk13 10-31-2012 01:24 PM

They spent 81 million on payroll just a couple years ago before bringing all the young guys up. The payroll will go up with inflation if nothing else. He's right that this team will never keep all the players it develops though. Just the nature of it. Even the Cardinals couldn't keep Pujols. People keep throwing the 85M around... if you re-sign two or three of these youg guys at the end of their 6 years and you'll be there. Butler, Hosmer, Moose, and Gordon all can be 10+ million a year players... Hosmer and Myers have potential to be even more than that, and then you haven't even touched your pitching staff.
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho 10-31-2012 01:56 PM

David Glass can eat a dick. Seriously.

All I can say is... if whatever they do for this season doesn't work, they're going to enter "save our Chiefs" territory. I've said that before on here, but good god...

I'm an optimistic guy. Always have been. But at this point, they're acting like they won't even try. And I can't pin that on Dayton Moore.

They had better find a way to bridge the gap this year. Or the fan revolt will kill the franchise in KC. Which is goddamned shame.

Discuss Thrower 10-31-2012 02:01 PM

Another year of Hoch... great..

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-31-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9069152)

All I can say is... if whatever they do for this season doesn't work, they're going to enter "save our Chiefs" territory. I've said that before on here, but good god...

I'm an optimistic guy. Always have been. But at this point, they're acting like they won't even try. And I can't pin that on Dayton Moore.

They had better find a way to bridge the gap this year. Or the fan revolt will kill the franchise in KC. Which is goddamned shame.

Meche gave back a buttload... we were lead to believe we went cheap last year because of having so many young players who aren't up for bigger contracts yet and could save the money for when they are... new tv deal in place.............. now "we'll never be an $85 mill team," and "we know who we are."

**** the hell off Glass. I don't know why GMDM doesn't just re-sign if this is what he's up against.

Deberg_1990 10-31-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9069152)

Will there really be a revolt? I honestly dont think there are that many "Passionate" Royals fans left. Theres only so many times you can kick your fanbase in the nuts before they just lose all energy to care.

Alot of them are either too old to care or too young to remember the good times and are now passionate Sporting KC fans.

ChiefsCountry 10-31-2012 02:46 PM

They could also be doing some PR work to keep exceptations down after last year's disaster of a marketing campaign.

Al Bundy 10-31-2012 02:56 PM

The Glasshole family can suffer every ill will thing I have wished against R8ers.

jbwm89 10-31-2012 03:00 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...n-santana.html

Royals acquire Ervin Santana

ChiTown 10-31-2012 03:02 PM

I would like to say I am shocked but all of this, but seriously, we're talking about the Royals here. So, meh. I've come to expect shit sammich's dressed as a Subway Club.......

ChiTown 10-31-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbwm89 (Post 9069298)

:hmmm:

SAUTO 10-31-2012 03:06 PM

good get on santana, now get haren too.

good to hear that perez is untouchable too

htismaqe 10-31-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbwm89 (Post 9069298)

They're trying at least. That was quick.

RockChalk 10-31-2012 03:08 PM

Not a rumor anymore, just to be clear....

Ken Rosenthal confirmed it a few minutes ago. Still not details on what we gave up. But it means we got Ervin for 1 year at $9 mil

RockChalk 10-31-2012 03:08 PM