ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

Silock 08-21-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9903268)
Since we are discussing diet... what are good reference materials for constructing a diet? Any books or online materials that you recommend? I'd be interested to read materials related to both ends of the spectrum (bulking diet, and fat loss diet).

Bodyrecomposition.com

Tons and tons of articles

Silock 08-21-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9903199)
Your lean enough now to eat slightly above or right at maintenance calories and just work on getting stronger! Your body recomp will start to show even if you bodyfat stays the same. Plus, you are getting the newb gains from lifting so I'd eat a bit above maintenance. I don't mind Silock's 40/40/20 split, but I myself do well with higher protein/fat and dropping the carbs a bit more. Personal preference but never cut carbs out completely again, Buck.

Yeah, 40/40/20 is just the standard place to start. It's a good baseline from which you can tailor your own personal preferences.

Aspengc8 08-21-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9903218)
Okay cool. I was definitely tired by the time I did the bench press. Could only put up 125 as opposed to 135 on Saturday.

Thats expected after most of your pushing muscles are exhausted. Thats why he wants you doing bench first, that will be your strength measurement. As your bench increases, your accessories may not *seem* to increase much, if any, because your exerting more force on that first movement. For the accessory stuff just focus on really feeling the muscle, it doesnt know how much weight is on the bar or machine, just how hard they have to work.

Saul Good 08-21-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9903285)
I'm down 13 pounds in a little over 5 weeks. I'm doing about 45 minutes of cardio on it's own 2 times a week on my treadmill and lifting followed by cardio 3 times a week at the gym. Feel really good.

Nice work. Are you not able to get outside much? I would lose my mind doing nothing but indoor cardio.

Buehler445 08-21-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9903148)
Ahh ok. I'm taking all this stuff dead serious and I'm very impressed with what you guys are doing so I am pretty much gonna follow whatever you say.

Someone once told me the best time to workout was before going to sleep and to not eat any fat or carbs with your protein and go to sleep. Maybe it was broscience.

Careful. Working out late, for me makes it tough to sleep. I usually have to wait at least an hour and a half after I work out to get to sleep. Unfortunately, that is mostly when I get to work out, but it is tough and that's why I have trouble sticking with it. If you can work it into your schedule, I would do it earlier.

These guys probably know better than me, but I read somewhere where working out screws with your melatonin levels, so it makes it tough to sleep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9903209)
Preferably yes. And by preferably it is an absolute must to at least start the workout with the major lifts. You can mix them up after that. I'd rather have you focus on gaining strength on main lifts like bench, squats and deads. Those should be the focus of your energy and where you push. The rest is assistance work designed to increase hypertrophy but also build strength towards the main lifts.

I care what you deadlift, squat and bench. I could give two shits how much you curl. You'll thank me later. I wasted years giving shits about extensions and curls. Now I do a few sets of curls a week and my biceps are doing fine. I wasted a lot of training majoring in the minors of all the lifts available you can perform in the gym.

I always learned you start with the biggest muscle groups. That would line up pretty close with what lewdog is suggesting.

The Bad Guy 08-21-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9903390)
Nice work. Are you not able to get outside much? I would lose my mind doing nothing but indoor cardio.

I'm outside a lot playing with my kid during the day. I take walks with him and my wife but I haven't been really counting that.

Saul Good 08-21-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9903441)
I'm outside a lot playing with my kid during the day. I take walks with him and my wife but I haven't been really counting that.

As long as you're doing it somewhere, that's great. I really struggle to run indoors. I'm fortunate to have a nice, new trail right next to my house that loops around a lake. The scenery is great (that includes some of the other runners I see), and it's a nice way to zone out for an hour.

Buck 08-21-2013 09:17 AM

Rest Day...should I be eating any differently today?

chiefroyalfan 08-21-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9903626)

quit thinking so much

Silock 08-21-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9903626)

There's no huge reason to eat above maintenance. Make sure you plenty or protein and rest. Way more important.

keg in kc 08-21-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9903439)
Careful. Working out late, for me makes it tough to sleep. I usually have to wait at least an hour and a half after I work out to get to sleep. Unfortunately, that is mostly when I get to work out, but it is tough and that's why I have trouble sticking with it. If you can work it into your schedule, I would do it earlier.

This is absolutely true for me. Exercising late in the evening keeps me up all night.

NewChief 08-21-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9904093)
This is absolutely true for me. Exercising late in the evening keeps me up all night.

Yup. I never exercise past 5pm or so. I also usually pour my first cocktail about then, and I don't workout after a drink either.

BigCatDaddy 08-21-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9904103)
Yup. I never exercise past 5pm or so. I also usually pour my first cocktail about then, and I don't workout after a drink either.

I was talking to a buddy in the gym the other night and I thought he was looking not quite with it. His preworkout for that night? A Percocet and a few beers. LMAO

Omaha 08-21-2013 02:17 PM

I have no problems working out at night. I love going for a run after dark.

I prefer to lift over lunch, though.

Aspengc8 08-21-2013 03:43 PM

Late is the only time I can work out. My daughter goes to sleep around 7 so I like to get home from work, spend some time with her & the wife, and then hit the gym around 730-8 till around 10. I have a lifting partner who is on the same schedule, and he just missed getting his IFBB pro card. This kid has been whooping my ass so I prefer to eat all day long before our workout, and suprisingly I still use a pre-workout stim as well as ammonia caps pretty much every night and have no problem passing out when I get home.