ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256647)

DJ's left nut 12-16-2012 02:04 PM

Lots of smoke in Columbia about promoting Henson to OC.

****. ********************.

If its really Henson, I hope they crater so we can broom this bitch. This cronyism shit has to go.

Henson is in no way, shape or form qualified to be a D1 OC.

Mizzou_8541 12-16-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9213006)
Lots of smoke in Columbia about promoting Henson to OC.

****. ********************.

If its really Henson, I hope they crater so we can broom this bitch. This cronyism shit has to go.

Henson is in no way, shape or form qualified to be a D1 OC.

Wow, that is disappointing. So much for the "national search."

Reaper16 12-16-2012 02:30 PM

Wow, they'd promote Henson to OC just to save some OL recruits (by keeping him in CoMo and out of Hattiesburg)? That's desperate, and suggestive that Pinkel doesn't have what it takes to win in the SEC. Once again, his loyalty is his biggest undoing.

Ebolapox 12-16-2012 02:30 PM

well, ****. shouldn't be surprised--teams that I love HAVE to suck. not getting season tickets next year, this kinda clinches it.

duncan_idaho 12-16-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9213035)
Wow, that is disappointing. So much for the "national search."

They offered big money to both Tedford (from what I hear) and Chaney. Neither bit. You can't make a guy take a job.

I'm not crazy about Henson as OC, but what can you do as a fan?

Pinkel will either make it work and be in Columbia after next season, or it won't and he'll be gone.

I would imagine that a Henson-coordinated offense would look more different from Yost's than a Hill-coordinated one. Henson's experience is from a different spread system, and the ideas he's been able to bring so far (narrowed line splits, guards in 3-point stance, zone blocking scheme) have been a positive for the team overall.

It's possible more of that comes into play with him calling the shots. That's the best case scenario/what you have to hope for, I think.

Mizzou_8541 12-16-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9215084)
They offered big money to both Tedford (from what I hear) and Chaney. Neither bit. You can't make a guy take a job.

I'm not crazy about Henson as OC, but what can you do as a fan?

Pinkel will either make it work and be in Columbia after next season, or it won't and he'll be gone.

I would imagine that a Henson-coordinated offense would look more different from Yost's than a Hill-coordinated one. Henson's experience is from a different spread system, and the ideas he's been able to bring so far (narrowed line splits, guards in 3-point stance, zone blocking scheme) have been a positive for the team overall.

It's possible more of that comes into play with him calling the shots. That's the best case scenario/what you have to hope for, I think.

While you are probably right, and certainly much more rational than I...could there be a less-inspiring hire than our co-offensive line coach?

Reaper16 12-16-2012 06:16 PM

It could be a fine hire. I won't pretend to know much about Henson as an offensive mind. As a Chiefs fan, I'm too close to the Mike Solari OC days to look favorably upon a guy moving from OL coach to OC.

bowener 12-16-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9215133)
While you are probably right, and certainly much more rational than I...could there be a less-inspiring hire than our co-offensive line coach?

Brian Daboll.

duncan_idaho 12-17-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9215133)

Oh, sure there could. I like Henson over Hill because I think it gives you your best chance to evolve the offense more.

There are worse guys out there.Also, if they do something dumb like hiring Jason Ray as the WR coach, that would be less inspiring (only way this works out AT ALL is if they bring in at least one Tiger's blood recruiter)

Henson better be as good as Pinkel thinks he is. That's the only way this works out.

Pepe Silvia 12-17-2012 01:11 PM

lol Predictable Pinkel. What a stubborn SOB. This insures that you will finally get the boot, can't wait.

duncan_idaho 12-19-2012 12:10 PM

Updated the OP a bit. Few more offers (appear at the bottom of the "Key Offers" list).

Bradley and Johnson are the flashy names left, but the late pushes that are being made are for quality players with nice offer lists.

DaKCMan AP 12-19-2012 12:15 PM

There's a possibility (whether it's been talked about or not - I'm unaware) that Florida could be interested in Quick. Florida would like to add another WR to its class and Joker Phillips is now the WR coach at Florida.

duncan_idaho 12-19-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9224020)
There's a possibility (whether it's been talked about or not - I'm unaware) that Florida could be interested in Quick. Florida would like to add another WR to its class and Joker Phillips is now the WR coach at Florida.

Yeah, not sure where Missouri sits there. Know he has interest, but I also know Ohio State and Florida are interested, too. Florida seems like a fairly recent development (like maybe he was being slow-played earlier).

DaKCMan AP 12-19-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9224045)
Yeah, not sure where Missouri sits there. Know he has interest, but I also know Ohio State and Florida are interested, too. Florida seems like a fairly recent development (like maybe he was being slow-played earlier).

Yeah it would be very recent interest. Florida likely slow-played him and wasn't interested until 1) Joker Phillips was hired as WR coach and 2) Demarcus Robinson decommitted from Clemson, committed to Florida, and then committed back to Clemson a few days later.

Off topic, but 2014 QB Will Grier just committed to Florida. PBJ He was (arguably) the #1 target for UF's 2014 class.

duncan_idaho 12-19-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9224075)
Yeah it would be very recent interest. Florida likely slow-played him and wasn't interested until 1) Joker Phillips was hired as WR coach and 2) Demarcus Robinson decommitted from Clemson, committed to Florida, and then committed back to Clemson a few days later.

Yeah.

Honestly, I'm not that concerned about WR in this class. I like Quick and he'd be a nice, flashy addition to the class because of his ranking and offers.

But I'd much rather seem them use the spot on a quality player at a position of higher need (DT, OL, DB).

I'm most concerned about recruiting for the secondary. That's where the biggest upgrade is needed, IMO (Need to have enough good players to be able to go into a dime package - which means 7-8 guys you feel comfortable playing).

They don't have any DBs committed, but there are four ATHs. I know Donavohn Jones and Aarion Penton are slotted for S and CB, respectively (Penton is very EJ Gaines-esque, IMO). Not sure about Anthony Sherrils (could be CB or WR).

And Chase Abbington is a real question. He wants to play RB/offense and likely starts there. But he definitely looks like the type of S they need to add to improve. Big, strong, fast enough to be nasty against the run or in coverage.

I'd love to see them adopt a 3 CB, 3 S dime package, with someone like Abbington being used out of the slot like they have done in the past with William Moore, etc. (though those were out of nickel looks). It would greatly improve pass coverage (and options) vs. having a second linebacker lined up over a slot. And probably not be a significant drawback against a spread run attack.