ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Discuss Thrower 12-16-2010 05:53 PM

I probably will not do reading for my AfricanAmerican lit class for next semester, but today I picked up Joseph Heller's Closing Time.

Reaper16 12-16-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Town Fan 1988 (Post 7263867)
I probably will not do reading for my AfricanAmerican lit class for next semester,

**** you. You're missing out.

Dunit35 12-16-2010 06:38 PM

Started reading "The Pacific" yesterday. I started a new job as a jailer and have a lot of downtime. Its a good read thus far. I'm thinking on picking up "With the Old Breed" I think that's what it is called. Worth the $10?

Discuss Thrower 12-16-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7263943)
**** you. You're missing out.

Whoops, I meant over break I probably won't get ahead on reading.

Here's the list:

Vintage Book of AA Poetry
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Sula by Toni Morrison
Fall of Rome by Martha Southgate
Erasure by Percival Everett.

And you gotta be a little bit more creative when insulting me. When I shittalked Norton Anthologies Hamas called me a foot shuffling porter.

Ebolapox 12-16-2010 06:40 PM

"nature via nurture" by matt ridley. great science writer, fwiw.

Over-Head 12-16-2010 06:52 PM

3/4's through Clive Cussler "Spartain Gold"
Should be done in a few days.
Next up CLive Cussler "Plague Ship"

Cussler or Jack Higgens.
Cant pick a favorite out of the two, have about 90% of Cusslers work, and 100% of Higgens

Over-Head 12-16-2010 06:56 PM

Saw Dave Mustains Bio in HMV yesterday, flipped through it, will probably buy the book,
Not like Dane who I'm sure invited Mr.Mustaine over for a personal reading LMAO

**Not a dig Dane, just misplaced humor, as yyou seem to know most of the music scene in Hollywood . Mustain is actually a great musical influence on me, love the guys work. .

Ebolapox 12-16-2010 06:57 PM

clive cussler is great, but I could never get into any of his books other than the dirk pitt series.

Over-Head 12-16-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 7263979)
clive cussler is great, but I could never get into any of his books other than the dirk pitt series.

The newer stuff with `The Fargos`kinda takes off where Dirk and whats her name from DC left off. Chick who was the senator or congress woman he was banging

Reaper16 12-16-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Town Fan 1988 (Post 7263953)

Here's the list:

Sula by Toni Morrison

And you gotta be a little bit more creative when insulting me. When I shittalked Norton Anthologies Hamas called me a foot shuffling porter.

I hereby retract my "**** you." That wasn't an insult, btw. If I've insulted you, you'll know it. Or maybe it'll be very subtle, then someone else would notice it. Either way, someone will know.

NewChief 12-16-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Here's the list:

Sula by Toni Morrison

If you get a chance to do some AA reading of choice, I suggest Mumbo Jumbo by Ishmael Reed.

Ebolapox 12-16-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 7263988)
The newer stuff with `The Fargos`kinda takes off where Dirk and whats her name from DC left off. Chick who was the senator or congress woman he was banging

good stuff? I'll have to check it out.

DeezNutz 12-16-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Here's the list:

Sula by Toni Morrison

Souls of Black Folk is a seminal text for this discussion and would provide a really helpful foundation for these texts.

Double-consciousness...

DaKCMan AP 12-16-2010 09:06 PM

Exodus - Leon Uris

Reaper16 12-16-2010 09:18 PM

On the AA front, I'm very partial to Nella Larsen's Quicksand, as well as her more known book, Passing.

Also, if you're feeling like something more challenging, Jean Toomer's Cane is pretty damn incredible.