ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

Tribal Warfare 09-30-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13761948)
Anyone watching the Deuce on HBO?

My new fav

I would watch it, but Maggie Gyllenhaal is so ugly she'd make infants cry.

I was rooting for her death in the Dark Knight.

chiefzilla1501 10-09-2018 03:31 PM

Just finished American vandal season 2. Season 1 was tough to get into at first but then I loved it. Hilarious.

Season 2... Wow. Not as funny as season 1. But the story is outstanding.

DJ's left nut 10-09-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 13774038)
I would watch it, but Maggie Gyllenhaal is so ugly she'd make infants cry.

I was rooting for her death in the Dark Knight.

She was doable in that movie with James Spader.

But yeah, she was dogbeast ugly in Dark Knight, that's for damn sure. I can't think of anything else she's been in but needless to say, she's not a natural beauty...

Nickhead 10-09-2018 09:25 PM

i have to ask. even in dark themed movies. are all ****ing canadians on tv 'just that polite'?

i'm watching this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FvUQfqHU_wA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

im going to finish the season, but godamnit if even the criminals come off as too polite when they should be 'feared'.

ROFL

Baby Lee 10-15-2018 02:03 PM

Has anyone seen any of this

<iframe width="1126" height="633" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tLfLU6-9lxY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I noticed it was making some waves over in Britain, but now it's coming to Netflix.
There is a gripping clip below [don't click if you don't want spoiled], that suggest some top notch action. Buut the trailer suggests more soap opera fare. Any takes on the quality of the show?

<iframe width="1108" height="623" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HncTXJLGumU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 10-15-2018 05:55 PM

I haven't.

I'm assuming it isn't a remake of the early 90s flick?

cooper barrett 10-15-2018 08:32 PM

Watched all the series and can't wait for the next season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13820364)

<iframe width="1126" height="633" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tLfLU6-9lxY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I noticed it was making some waves over in Britain, but now it's coming to Netflix.
There is a gripping clip below [don't click if you don't want spoiled], that suggest some top notch action. Buut the trailer suggests more soap opera fare. Any takes on the quality of the show?

<iframe width="1108" height="623" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HncTXJLGumU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nickhead 10-25-2018 08:50 PM

now this reboot, is actually closer to a documentary than satire.

i was bored AF, so i watched the first season the other week. i loved the tongue n cheek humor. there are obviously issues with the acting, but for whatever reason this show cliqued with me :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ct_lrDNvxoA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 10-25-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

The Bodyguard - BBC

Read this week that the finale was the most watched scripted program in BBC history.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to set time aside.

Buehler445 10-25-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13844464)
Read this week that the finale was the most watched scripted program in BBC history.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to set time aside.

I was thinking the same thing this afternoon.

Buehler445 11-06-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Saw it. I was impressed. It threw some damned haymakers that I wasn't expecting.

Writing was solid and kept me guessing until the last 5 minutes. Acting was pretty good, especially by the main character. Production is really good. Nothing hugely expensive but what it undertook it did well.

Not at all what I was expecting.

Recommended.

Baby Lee 11-07-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13761948)
Anyone watching the Deuce on HBO?

My new fav

Karate Kid smoked Wu Tang!!

zimmer 11-13-2018 12:21 PM

Dexter
Breaking Bad
Big Bang Theory

Nickhead 11-13-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmer (Post 13889571)
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Big Bang Theory

OMG, what are these new shows you speak of? are they comedies, drama's, or dramadies?

what is the premise of these three shows you so highly speak of? :D

Sandy Vagina 11-13-2018 05:47 PM

Not at all new, but the Aussie version of RAKE was surprisingly worth watching on Netflix. 5 seasons.

sully1983 11-13-2018 09:21 PM

Bodyguard was dope as hell and easy to binge watch (only 6 episodes)

Baby Lee 11-13-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13890879)

Commencing on your recommend. It was between this, 2nd Season of Big Mouth [1st season ROCKED], Haunting on Hill House, and Homecoming. American Vandal Season 2 and to a lesser extent The Romanoffs were on the semi-short list.

Buehler445 11-14-2018 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13891039)
Commencing on your recommend. It was between this, 2nd Season of Big Mouth [1st season ROCKED], Haunting on Hill House, and Homecoming. American Vandal Season 2 and to a lesser extent The Romanoffs were on the semi-short list.

I think you'll dig it. The soap opera stuff you referenced earlier isn't really on point.

Baby Lee 11-14-2018 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13891133)
I think you'll dig it. The soap opera stuff you referenced earlier isn't really on point.

God damn it!! How do I get off this crazy ride?!?!?

Buehler445 11-14-2018 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13891156)
God damn it!! How do I get off this crazy ride?!?!?

Ride it out, broseph.

I told you it threw some haymakers.

rocknrolla 11-14-2018 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13890879)

I'm not a big fan of brit series. With what you recommended to BL, love them all. Will give this a shot. Thanks.

Chiefnj2 11-14-2018 07:39 AM

I finished the Bodyguard last night. Very good. Not 100% thrilled with the ending, but very good nonetheless.

Baby Lee 11-25-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13891039)

Not quite through with Homecoming, but I've seen enough to say it is right up my alley.

I don't want to spoil what it is, but you were holding off on it because it's too weird or convoluted, it's really not. It's surprising in a lot of ways, but it's mostly in the way it re-synthesizes the familiar in exciting and interesting ways.

The broad strokes of the narrative are almost cliché, as you see the formulation of a vast secret conspiracy, and the dogged detective and the bad guys trying to cover their tracks. And the stylistic cues of the score and the cinematography are plainly inspired from a bygone era of cinema storytelling.

But the scenario and the details are very current and very grounded in contemporary life. So the story sparks the imagination as it unfolds.

And aside from the feel of the show as composed of the cinematography and score, the performances are the real draw.

Some have said that it seems slow early on, and it does. But it's purposeful. I think every frame is purposeful. You're meant to relate to both the feasibility of and the outlandishness of the narrative. It's something you hate to think could happen, but if it did you would think it would realistically play out this way. It's not a 'wild ride,' but it's still engrossing and gripping.

Buehler445 11-25-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13912593)
Not quite through with Homecoming, but I've seen enough to say it is right up my alley.

I don't want to spoil what it is, but you were holding off on it because it's too weird or convoluted, it's really not. It's surprising in a lot of ways, but it's mostly in the way it re-synthesizes the familiar in exciting and interesting ways.

The broad strokes of the narrative are almost cliché, as you see the formulation of a vast secret conspiracy, and the dogged detective and the bad guys trying to cover their tracks. And the stylistic cues of the score and the cinematography are plainly inspired from a bygone era of cinema storytelling.

But the scenario and the details are very current and very grounded in contemporary life. So the story sparks the imagination as it unfolds.

And aside from the feel of the show as composed of the cinematography and score, the performances are the real draw.

Some have said that it seems slow early on, and it does. But it's purposeful. I think every frame is purposeful. You're meant to relate to both the feasibility of and the outlandishness of the narrative. It's something you hate to think could happen, but if it did you would think it would realistically play out this way. It's not a 'wild ride,' but it's still engrossing and gripping.

I’m glad you liked it. I was concerned you’d eviscerate it after I gave it a good review:D

Watch it through the end. I’ll be interested to know your thoughts on the ending.

Baby Lee 11-25-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13912766)
I’m glad you liked it. I was concerned you’d eviscerate it after I gave it a good review:D

Watch it through the end. I’ll be interested to know your thoughts on the ending.

That was a review of Homecoming, not Bodyguard.

I didn't want to spoil too much about Bodyguard, so I thought I'd let my enthusiasm from mid-binge speak for itself. Expanding a bit on that, very few shows end as strongly as they start, particularly if they start by setting wild expectations. Bodyguard was no exception, but that's scarcely a knock. More an expression of the realities of concluding a thriller season/series. It got a little strainy, credibility-wise, towards the end, and the twists were a little fast/furious and pat, but it did pretty good overall doing what it set out to do, and earned all the attention it got.

chiefzilla1501 12-04-2018 02:14 PM

If you love dogs, watch Netflixs "dogs" series.
If you don't love dogs... **** you.

I usually hate shows and movies about dogs. Cheesy and overly sentimental. The few in this Netflix series I've seen so far are not cheesy at all... No other word to use but beautiful. Just finished "Ice on the water" and it brought a huge smile to my face.

keg in kc 12-07-2018 07:23 PM

Finally started watching Vikings. I like it so far, through the first season, but then I got sidetracked when I learned the new season of The Last Kingdom is on Netflix as of a week ago. If you're a fan of Vikings and haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and watch all 3 seasons. It's great.

Buehler445 12-07-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13942094)
Finally started watching Vikings. I like it so far, through the first season, but then I got sidetracked when I learned the new season of The Last Kingdom is on Netflix as of a week ago. If you're a fan of Vikings and haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and watch all 3 seasons. It's great.

I like the last kingdom. (Even though my guy scholagladiatora savagely eviscerated it LOL). Just started season 3.

Vikings is a good watch for season 1 but I got sidetracked as **** in season 2. I finished season 2 and I think season 3 but I got too sidetracked in season 2 to keep up. I need to catch back up.

Buehler445 12-08-2018 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13942094)

When I started it up again, I had totally forgotten to adopt "assling" into my daily vocabulary.

Frazod 12-09-2018 03:55 PM

Binged Godless over the weekend. It was a bit silly and over the top, but highly entertaining and well done.

KCUnited 12-24-2018 09:06 PM

Just finished Perfume on Netflix. It’s got that Euro brutality, elegance combo going. I thought it was great from start to finish (only 6 episodes). True Detective-ish. Highly recommended.

Buehler445 12-25-2018 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13986504)
Just finished Perfume on Netflix. It’s got that Euro brutality, elegance combo going. I thought it was great from start to finish (only 6 episodes). True Detective-ish. Highly recommended.

Really? I’ll have to look into that. I thought the previews looked awful

KCUnited 12-25-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13986793)
Really? I’ll have to look into that. I thought the previews looked awful

The first episode is a little slow but each episode gets more disturbing. It’s a unique story (though I’m not familiar with the original) for a who done it, with a cinema score and layered storylines. It has some tough to watch moments though which could turn people off.

TambaBerry 12-25-2018 10:42 AM

Has Travelers been discussed? I really like that show

Baby Lee 12-25-2018 11:15 AM

Has anyone made it through Patriot? I've started it 3-4 times now and it still hasn't grabbed me. I've only made 2 1/2 episodes, and am wondering when/if the genius hits. I've heard people rave about it and am willing to be patient if there's a point when it starts coming together. I've had stuff I loved that started slow before. But I'd hate to spend 2 whole seasons with the same level of engagement I have thus far.

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-25-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13987015)
Has Travelers been discussed? I really like that show

Welcome to the 21st century

Baby Lee 12-31-2018 11:28 AM

Showtime series premiere free on youtube

Black Monday

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NQivE6mnNfg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RN47 12-31-2018 01:08 PM

An Innocent Man

If this is a re-post I apologize.

'An Innocent Man' on Netflix based on the only non-fiction book written by John Grisham. I was sick over the weekend and checked it out-- it's worth your time in my opinion. Small town 'justice' gone way, way wrong.

Since I am a noob, I cannot attach a link. Sorry.

KCUnited 12-31-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RN47 (Post 13999084)

'An Innocent Man' on Netflix based on the only non-fiction book written by John Grisham. I was sick over the weekend and checked it out-- it's worth your time in my opinion. Small town 'justice' gone way, way wrong.

I watched it over the past week as well. Not quite on Making A Murderer's level, but still a crazy story.

cooper barrett 01-01-2019 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RN47 (Post 13999084)

You do know that one of the characters lives in KC. His name is Dennis Fritz and he wrote a book called "Journey to Justice". Fritz actively promoted both Grisham's book and Project Innocence and is pictured below with Grisham.

Along with writing and promoting his own book the relationship with Grisham ended, he was challenged by substance abuse issues and now spends much of his time touring the religious circuit. Along with hocking his book, he discusses his relationship with God and shares his experiences with the justice system.

https://i.postimg.cc/hGYz1bk8/ifritz.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Baby Lee 01-09-2019 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Splitting Up Together is a generic sitcommy networky network sitcom, but it's got a lot of talent behind it. But this isn't so much about the show as a whole, but last night Jenna Fisher gave an all-time cinematic sink and swoon moment when she got hot and bothered by her ex. Totally family-friendly fare, but so hawt nonetheless.

Didn't hurt that it was Jenna
Didn't hurt that Jenna used to be 'Pam'
Didn't hurt she was doing that hip mom wearing overalls thing.

TwistedChief 01-10-2019 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13935378)
If you love dogs, watch Netflixs "dogs" series.
If you don't love dogs... **** you.

I usually hate shows and movies about dogs. Cheesy and overly sentimental. The few in this Netflix series I've seen so far are not cheesy at all... No other word to use but beautiful. Just finished "Ice on the water" and it brought a huge smile to my face.

Totally agree with you on this. It was beautifully done.

DJ's left nut 01-10-2019 08:55 AM

You're the Worst started back up again last night; season premier for the final season.

Funny, light episode (in a series that had far too few of those over the last couple of years). It's gonna be interesting to see where they go with it because Falk and others simply don't seem to have a happy ending in mind for Gretchen and Jimmy...

Baby Lee 01-10-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14022218)
You're the Worst started back up again last night; season premier for the final season.

Funny, light episode (in a series that had far too few of those over the last couple of years). It's gonna be interesting to see where they go with it because Falk and others simply don't seem to have a happy ending in mind for Gretchen and Jimmy...

Disorienting start. Interesting in the end, but not sure what to think of it [ie, that particular episode] yet.

Tribal Warfare 01-10-2019 11:51 PM

Frontier with Jason Momoa is badass

Baby Lee 01-17-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14022218)
You're the Worst started back up

It's like inception, . . . for pooping.

Buehler445 01-17-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14023936)
Frontier with Jason Momoa is badass

I posted some thoughts about it earlier.

Momoa is awesome. The production is awesome. The rest of it, meh. I ****ing dig shit like this, but I just can't bring my self to give a flying feces about the other characters. I was sorta into that Indian chick following Harp around, but this season they had her doing reeruned stuff and it took me out of it.

It's like there isn't any cohesion in the writing from story to story.

patteeu 01-17-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14046344)
I posted some thoughts about it earlier.

Momoa is awesome. The production is awesome. The rest of it, meh. I ****ing dig shit like this, but I just can't bring my self to give a flying feces about the other characters. I was sorta into that Indian chick following Harp around, but this season they had her doing reeruned stuff and it took me out of it.

It's like there isn't any cohesion in the writing from story to story.

I agree with this. I was underwhelmed.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-31-2019 05:42 PM

Just started show called Pure pretty damn good

DJ's left nut 02-01-2019 11:05 AM

Going to call an audible here.

I just started hunting around Netflix for something 20ish minutes long I could watch in the background while chasing around twins and a puppy.

Man, I've always been a 'Cheers' guy in the Cheers v. Seinfeld debate but I'd really forgotten how truly excellent Cheers was. Netflix and Prime both have the whole series, start to finish, available.

Any of you guys who haven't watched it in awhile need to give it another run and you'll be reminded quickly of how that show stuck around for 11 years and was still killing it when it ended. It's just so damn good, all the way to how they utilize the multi-cam format and the distinction between a studio audience in the background and a laugh track. The characters are warm and likeable and the humor is just a hell of a lot more dry than I remembered at times. And because there's not a laugh track hammering it at you, those little almost throwaway jabs are just amazing.

"Hey, I know you - what's your name?"
"Sam Malone"
"That's it...."
"Yeah, I usually get it right..."

And it's just here and gone; no laugh track and the obnoxious Yankee fan almost steps on the line so it's just this sharp delivery and onto the next beat. The multi-cam across the entire bar gives it an expanse that you don't feel at all on modern sitcoms - the bar feels genuinely huge and some of the scenes that pan across it just make it seem more human when they're raising voices and it's trailing off across the set. You also occasionally see them stifling little laughs and grins here and there and it's just...real feeling. Almost like a play in the way they shot it rather than a traditional sitcom. The chemistry of the key players is spectacular. And the humor is timeless. That's what separates it from Seinfeld to me (that and the fact that all the characters in Seinfeld are just assholes) - Seinfeld's jokes just don't work as well.

It's not surprising that Mike Schur - who writes the best comedies on the air right now - is a Cheers acolyte. And comedy that has been working so well since The Office (also involved Schur) has the DNA from Cheers all over it.

Just an absolutely fantastic show. Seriously - go watch Cheers.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-01-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14084858)

I just started hunting around Netflix for something 20ish minutes long I could watch in the background while chasing around twins and a puppy.

Man, I've always been a 'Cheers' guy in the Cheers v. Seinfeld debate but I'd really forgotten how truly excellent Cheers was. Netflix and Prime both have the whole series, start to finish, available.

Any of you guys who haven't watched it in awhile need to give it another run and you'll be reminded quickly of how that show stuck around for 11 years and was still killing it when it ended. It's just so damn good, all the way to how they utilize the multi-cam format and the distinction between a studio audience in the background and a laugh track. The characters are warm and likeable and the humor is just a hell of a lot more dry than I remembered at times. And because there's not a laugh track hammering it at you, those little almost throwaway jabs are just amazing.

"Hey, I know you - what's your name?"
"Sam Malone"
"That's it...."
"Yeah, I usually get it right..."

And it's just here and gone; no laugh track and the obnoxious Yankee fan almost steps on the line so it's just this sharp delivery and onto the next beat. The multi-cam across the entire bar gives it an expanse that you don't feel at all on modern sitcoms - the bar feels genuinely huge and some of the scenes that pan across it just make it seem more human when they're raising voices and it's trailing off across the set. You also occasionally see them stifling little laughs and grins here and there and it's just...real feeling. Almost like a play in the way they shot it rather than a traditional sitcom. The chemistry of the key players is spectacular. And the humor is timeless. That's what separates it from Seinfeld to me (that and the fact that all the characters in Seinfeld are just assholes) - Seinfeld's jokes just don't work as well.

It's not surprising that Mike Schur - who writes the best comedies on the air right now - is a Cheers acolyte. And comedy that has been working so well since The Office (also involved Schur) has the DNA from Cheers all over it.

Just an absolutely fantastic show. Seriously - go watch Cheers.

Cheers was a great show. The story behind the theme song is fun too.

Baby Lee 02-01-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 14084905)
Cheers was a great show. The story behind the theme song is fun too.

Speaking of interesting Cheers related lore

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-...park-st-under/

Buehler445 02-01-2019 12:30 PM

Good call DJLN.

There is good TV right now but a lot of it is intensive. I need to have something on while I work in the office. I’ll give it a look.

Buehler445 02-01-2019 01:14 PM

On that note, I watched A Young Doctors Notebook and Other Stories

I’m a pretty big Mad Men and by extension John Hamm fan so I gave it a look.

It started off pretty goddamned funny. It ends up Dark as ****.

I finished it a week or so ago and still don’t know where I’m at on it. It’s 8 episodes so it’s an easy watch and I’m glad I did. But at the end of it all it hangs with a guy.

I’d encourage you guys to watch it and share your thoughts, just understand it’s not light and funny like it starts out as.

Specifics in the spoiler

Spoiler!

Baby Lee 02-03-2019 10:05 AM

Russian Doll is flying by and living up to the hype

Like if Broad City made Groundhog Day.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHcKoAMGGvY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 02-03-2019 10:24 AM

Hey BL, have you caught the Young Doctors Notebook? Seems it might be in your wheelhouse and I'd be interested in what you thought of it.

Baby Lee 02-03-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14087391)
Hey BL, have you caught the Young Doctors Notebook? Seems it might be in your wheelhouse and I'd be interested in what you thought of it.

Kodi providers aren't finding streams of it right now. I've got it on lookout.

Buehler445 02-03-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14087404)
Kodi providers aren't finding streams of it right now. I've got it on lookout.

I watched it on Netflix.

keg in kc 02-03-2019 12:04 PM

Just caught the first season of Barry on HBO (which I haven't had since season 7 of GoT ended...). Bill Hader is a depressed hit man from Cleveland who goes to LA for a job and ends up in an acting class run by a crazed Henry Winkler. Great stuff.

rocknrolla 02-03-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14087379)

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHcKoAMGGvY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really liked it, takes a few episodes to see where its going. Only 8 30 min episodes, any longer would have killed it.

cooper barrett 02-03-2019 01:29 PM

Russian Dollwill get old quick, thank god you can watch it all at once.

<----looking forward to Barry II

DJ's left nut 02-05-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14087379)

I'm 4 episodes in and have realized that I'm undeniably old.

This is the least relateable show I have ever watched in my life. The chronicles of a self-absorbed, drug-addled, slutty hipster NYer and her shallow ****stain friends. She keeps bitching about a cosmic glitch that she's pretty sure is the product of a bad trip except she knows that can't be right because she's had cocaine lots of times and it never bothered her like this. The surprise twist is that it isn't cocaine...but she's had the drug it IS as well!!! TWIST! Unhappy burnout druggie who's too cool to piss on anyone with a full time job is completely wrong footed by this revelation. Oh no!

Her mopey ex (who is clearly 15 years older than her) is following her around and being all miserable because this terminally unhappy 6 who ****ed a stranger in the first episode out of sheer boredom doesn't want to marry him.

Now we've added a compulsive fitness fanatic and a potentially interesting homeless character to the mix...I'm sure that'll be outstanding.

This is just a caricature of 'peak new york millennial' dropped in the middle of Groundhog Day. I'm not surprised critics love it - she IS relateable to that set. Even the myriad of ways to die gets tiring.

Since I'm halfway in and only owe this show another 90 minutes or so of my time, I'll go ahead and finish it. But to this point it's a complete piece of shit that I'm sure will win a ton of awards because it's a the NY Hipster Douche crowd's style of piece of shit.

Baby Lee 02-05-2019 04:05 PM

Kind of an oddly ironic critique, I think you'll find by the end.
Don't want to spoil too much, but I think you'll find a lot of the complaints you have play into why the narrative is happening at all.
It's not earth shattering, when all is summed up. I don't think I was as disaffected by this as you were at the point you're at. But while I too found the character a self-absorbed bit of a pill, it was still amusing to watch in an anthropological sense. I enjoy plenty of stories even when I don't like the characters in a realistic sense. Doesn't even have to be anti-heroes or even outright villians [Sopranos, Breaking Bad]. Most Woody Allen characters would strain even the most placid and longsuffering of friendships.

But even if you end up disliking the entire thing, I don't think you'll have the exact same critique in the end.

DJ's left nut 02-05-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14092082)
Kind of an oddly ironic critique, I think you'll find by the end.
Don't want to spoil too much, but I think you'll find a lot of the complaints you have play into why the narrative is happening at all.
It's not earth shattering, when all is summed up. But even if you end up disliking the entire thing, I don't think you'll have the exact same critique in the end.

Still a problem with narrative structure, then.

Let's say the last 2 episodes bring everything around and at least partially repay me for hate-watching the first 6 - why the hell should I have to power through like that?

Apart from merely being pot-committed, there's nothing to keep me watching this show. Even general curiosity doesn't do it - at this stage, I couldn't give a **** why this is happening to her. I suspect there's some kind of Checkov's Computer Program involved given that we keep getting reminded that she's a coder which is otherwise wholly immaterial to the plot.

Maybe you're right, maybe something happens that turns the whole thing on its ear and I'm amazed. But The Good Place did that and I was actually entertained for 10-12 weeks before it happened.

This is just crap. It reminds me of The Sixth Sense in that people wanted to suddenly pretend like that movie was good just because the ending was. No, not really. That movie sucked but since the ending was awesome it got a pass and convinced Shyamalan that all he had to do to make money was start with a twist ending and work backwards, quality of the rest of the movie be damned. And he fooled folks into seeing shit like The Village and The Lady in the Water on that reputation for years.

Baby Lee 02-05-2019 04:20 PM

Maybe you're just old. Evidently, you're so feeble you've got some phantom twisting your arm to watch. ;)

underEJ 02-05-2019 05:30 PM

I thought it was pretty interesting. It is an argument story, so every character is an argument or a counter argument to the main character's story. It really is a clever use of that type of story. Her story is the logical argument and his is the emotional argument, but not a counter argument. They are two sides of the same argument and everybody else is the counter argument, thus they disappear as the mains come to the conclusion.

I don't think liking her is necessary at first, but they did wait a bit too long to try to turn that dial as obviously they did intend to redeem her. They did make it very clear from episode one that for this argument, the morality of her lifestyle is irrelevant.

I suspect that this was a fairly low budget project and that meant little to no rehearsal. For me, the performances are the place it fails a bit, but I still enjoyed it enough.

Baby Lee 02-07-2019 04:57 AM

Finally caught the first couple episodes of The Other Two on Comedy Central [Thurs after Broad City].

I'm pretty high on this one. Pretty smartly written with jokes and bits big and small coming in waves upon waves.

Kind of reminiscent of Popstar:Never Stop Stopping, but very 'of the moment' in terms of the off-kilter existence of striving and thriving in today's entertainment.

The best thing about it is the constant onslaught of quips and jokes and references, so you're always finding something ridiculous to chuckle at even if the narrative slows down for you a bit from time to time.

The second best thing is it looks like they're making the characters not so much flawed people as regular people living at a flawed time in history. For instance, the central of the conceit of a 'Bieber' like younger brother who effortlessly shames his older siblings through easy fame and success, but he's not an entitled A-hole, just a kid who happened to resonate with the youtube/insta generation.

The thing is, even if you think that the subject matter is tired out outside your interest range, the strength of the show is that it's much more about how than what. It's solid writing and funny bits, that just happens to be fairly timely as well.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GpuNdgC0vOw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="705" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8qKJsfsfBW4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great Expectations 02-08-2019 11:45 AM

I need something new to watch while I”m waiting on the next season of Mindhunter. I read several months ago that it’d be out in December of ‘18, but that obviously didn’t happen. I’ve watched Godless since then and highly recommend it. Tidland was ok, kept my attention, but didn’t realize all it’s potential. I thought Elite was better than it. I couldn’t finish Altered Carbon, it started strong and then just faded away.

I’d also recommend the Get Down, the first part was a lot of fun.

Rausch 02-09-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14092074)
I'm 4 episodes in and have realized that I'm undeniably old.

This is the least relateable show I have ever watched in my life. The chronicles of a self-absorbed, drug-addled, slutty hipster NYer and her shallow ****stain friends.

This is what I thought as well. As the show went on it did a good job of showing the audience that no one is as good a person as they think.

In actuality all people are bigger assholes than we think we are. Few people think about how selfish they act or just how much of their motivations are self-serving. We really don't get to see how our actions completely impact others and frankly we never really know what people think about us.

Not completely...

Rausch 02-09-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14084858)

Man, I've always been a 'Cheers' guy in the Cheers v. Seinfeld debate but I'd really forgotten how truly excellent Cheers was.

My favorite sit com of all time.

It usually came on late at night when I was a kid so when my insomnia is at its worst I'll either put that or Twilight Zone on in the background while I lay down to go to sleep.

Great Expectations 02-09-2019 10:12 PM

Cheers is definitely one of the best if not the best sitcoms of alltime. What do you guys think of Night Court? I loved that show, great quirky characters, inside jokes, and fantastic comedic timing.

NewChief 02-10-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 14097468)
I need something new to watch while I”m waiting on the next season of Mindhunter. I read several months ago that it’d be out in December of ‘18, but that obviously didn’t happen. I’ve watched Godless since then and highly recommend it. Tidland was ok, kept my attention, but didn’t realize all it’s potential. I thought Elite was better than it. I couldn’t finish Altered Carbon, it started strong and then just faded away.

I’d also recommend the Get Down, the first part was a lot of fun.

Have you done Travelers?

Tribal Warfare 02-11-2019 12:13 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yHLxfAUT49A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is pretty good, based off the comic of the same name

DJ's left nut 02-16-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14092109)
Maybe you're just old. Evidently, you're so feeble you've got some phantom twisting your arm to watch. ;)

The 2nd half was good.

Holy shit that was a long-time coming though. Bold move relying on hate-watching to get me through the 3rd and 4th episodes before finally starting to make things tolerable...

Buehler445 02-16-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14110122)
The 2nd half was good.

Holy shit that was a long-time coming though. Bold move relying on hate-watching to get me through the 3rd and 4th episodes before finally starting to make things tolerable...

So should I watch it or not?

Discuss Thrower 02-16-2019 06:33 PM

Buehler, you of all people are doing yourself a disservice if you're not watching Letterkenny.

Baby Lee 02-16-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13987050)
Has anyone made it through Patriot? I've started it 3-4 times now and it still hasn't grabbed me. I've only made 2 1/2 episodes, and am wondering when/if the genius hits. I've heard people rave about it and am willing to be patient if there's a point when it starts coming together. I've had stuff I loved that started slow before. But I'd hate to spend 2 whole seasons with the same level of engagement I have thus far.

Getting close to finishing off the first season and I need to revise.

It's still a tough show to get into the rhythms of, but that's because it's got its own peculiar structure that reveals itself bit by bit.

It's very dry, but in places witheringly funny. But weirdly it's often funny in ways that aren't objectively funny. Instead wistful, sad, bewildering, even pathetic, it just builds and builds on itself until you find yourself shaking your head and muttering 'how much more? . . . '

You've got to pay attention, and you have to suspend disbelief often, but it's payoffs aren't to be found in other stories.

Basically, it's the story of a guy who is the son of a 'deep state' mucky-muck who does all the legwork for his dad's international missions. It involves him going undercover and doing dirty deeds, kind of a depressed blue-collar version of James Bond.

His dad has a plan to fund an opposition candidate in Iran to stop nuclear proliferation. The son has to secure a job at a hydro-engineering firm in Milwaukee in order to transfer funds on a business trip. Things go wrong, people die and the money ends up on its way to an Iranian nuclear scientist instead.

First season is all about recovering the money and avoiding the investigation into the deaths while maintaining cover as an engineer, and it's all cat and mouse, and bigger cat and bigger mouse, mice chasing mice and cats chasing cats, very carefully orchestrated to make the son's job more and more difficult and more and more stressful.

Has interesting things to say about stoicism, depression and doggedness.

Gotta give a thumbs up.

Baby Lee 02-16-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14110225)
So should I watch it or not?

Apparently, it depends on how much you enjoy people with trainwreck lives figure shit out.

As I said earlier, it's well crafted and breezes by pretty quickly, but it's not earth-shattering. A decent little binge.

Buehler445 02-17-2019 02:31 AM

I may have to give the patriot another look.

I watched the first episode and didn’t finish it. I think I was expecting shut your mind off comedy and the first episode I didn’t find particularly funny and it sounds like it’s definitely not shut your mind off material.

vailpass 02-17-2019 09:18 PM

The Umbrella Academy on Netflix is very good so far.