ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

Deberg_1990 05-20-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 9694734)
Par. is a marketing wasteland these days. They can't open a film domestically, meeting expectations, to save their lives. It is really strange.

It's really not doing that bad., sure it underperformed to their expectations, but it's not like its going to be a flop.

A couple of things...I alluded to it earlier, but Trek is somewhat niche. Limited female appeal and limited under 21 appeal. It also had much stronger competition this time in contrast to 2009 when it was basically the only big movie at the time it opened. IM 3 and Gatsby both opened huge in the weeks prior. In 2009 it's competition was a horrible Wolverine film nobody liked and that was basically it.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekly/char...9&wk=19&p=.htm

DaneMcCloud 05-20-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9694923)
It's really not doing that bad., sure it underperformed to their expectations, but it's not like its going to be a flop.

The fact that it's a minimum of $20 million under expectations means that it IS indeed "doing bad".

If there's another Star Trek film with this cast, the budget will be nowhere near $190 million dollars. I'd venture to say that $125 would be the limit.

Deberg_1990 05-20-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9694937)

If there's another Star Trek film with this cast, the budget will be nowhere near $190 million dollars. I'd venture to say that $125 would be the limit.

Your probably right. That's why most the films with the original cast and next generation had limited budgets. Trek has sort of always had a limited gross ceiling. Limited audience.

Hammock Parties 05-20-2013 03:53 PM

Star Trek VI had a $27 million budget, and made $96 million.

So you can kind of see Dane's point when he says Paramount didn't spend $190 million on a movie to break even.

Hammock Parties 05-20-2013 03:55 PM

Here are all the numbers.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Trek

Voyage Home made an absurd amount of profit.

bowener 05-20-2013 04:57 PM

i09 review

siberian khatru 05-20-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9695197)

Exactly.

I liked:

/sound of facepalm

followed by:

/sound of gun being loaded

Ending with:

/sound of gun being cocked

Deberg_1990 05-20-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9695004)
Star Trek VI had a $27 million budget, and made $96 million.

So you can kind of see Dane's point when he says Paramount didn't spend $190 million on a movie to break even.

I wonder what those numbers translate into today's dollars? The budgets for these summer blockbusters has gotten ridiculously high.

Frazod 05-20-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9695197)

Holy shit, that's great. LMAO

Can't wait to see the Plinkett review. He'll rip this a new asshole.

Deberg_1990 05-20-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9694383)
Saw it last night. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler!

That being said...

It was entertaining. There were some good parts. I have a couple of other friends who want to see this movie, and I'll likely go see it with them. Multiple times.

I was pretty high on Star Trek (2009). I liked that movie. This one gets a final grade of "meh". Too much lazy shit that got slapped together with JJ Abrams' own diarrhea.

Star Wars is his first love? Yeah, it probably is. ****ing moron. At least that body has already been raped by Lucas, so whatever "revival" he does of it will be hard to disappoint fans of Star Wars. They've already seen the worst.

I hated this movie! But I loved it and will go see it multiple times!

Hammock Parties 05-21-2013 06:09 AM

Iron Man 3 has already made a billion dollars worldwide (with a budget of only 200 million). It's opening weekend was 174 million. Paramount has to be disappointed with Star Trek in comparison.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman3.htm

underEJ 05-21-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9696719)
Iron Man 3 has already made a billion dollars worldwide (with a budget of only 200 million). It's opening weekend was 174 million. Paramount has to be disappointed with Star Trek in comparison.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman3.htm

Iron Man is not a comparison for it. Star Trek is not a big international franchise. They did hope to make headway in that regard, so much of the marketing money went overseas. The goal was to beat the domestic opening weekend of the first one, and to double the international total. It only made 127m international in 2009, they want 250 this time. This is still a long shot possibility, as it is opening stronger in most international markets than 2009, but not as strong as hoped. It will probably hit 200 internationally.

I haven't found if the 3d conversion is in the 190m total budget, nor have I seen the 3d tally for opening weekend. That conversion was expensive if it is additional investment.

It is not a flop, but it is not going to spawn another massive budget.

bowener 05-21-2013 12:50 PM

The more I reflect on this pile of shit, the more I realize how big of a pile of shit it really is. Jesus, way to mail it in, JJ.

Hammock Parties 05-21-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Star Trek is not a big international franchise.
Disagree completely. It's huge in Britain and Europe.

Bowser 05-21-2013 01:44 PM

How much of the low opening weekend numbers can be attributed to people not wanting to get caught in the opening weekend rush? I know I am definitely one of those people; I'm planning on seeing it this weekend...

RealSNR 05-21-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9695889)
I hated this movie! But I loved it and will go see it multiple times!

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was not a good movie.

I still liked it.

In this case, the movie was an adaptation of a universe based on a set of stories, which had been re-imagined, remade, retold, and revamped dozens of times on film and television. There is no "hardcare" Sherlock Holmes fan (at least I have yet to meet one) that complained that those movies are hardly at all in the TRUE spirit of Sherlock Holmes, because the character and the setting has been done dozens of different ways.

Not so for Star Trek. Like it or not, there IS a standard that should at least be considered when doing these movies. You can recast it. Fine. You can change the course of events in the timeline. Uhh... okay, sure, why not? You can apply different roles and functions for each character and element. Excellent, that's exactly what you should be doing.

But you should NOT try to make a Frankenstein's monster of different lines and references all while uncreatively inversing the roles instead of changing them and creating something NEW.

That's the problem I have with it. That doesn't mean it wasn't fun and entertaining. But it doesn't mean it's a good movie.

007 05-22-2013 12:30 AM

Saw it tonight. I can understand why some really don't like it. It entertained me as a movie goer but as a Trek fan it did fall kind of short for me in the third act.

Spoiler!

That being said, this cast is still great and I'll take it for what it is. I really entertaining popcorn flick.

Hammock Parties 05-22-2013 08:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/9LiKu5D.jpg

unlurking 05-23-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9701685)

:bang:

bevischief 05-23-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9701685)

LMAO

Reaper16 05-23-2013 08:36 PM

Just saw it. I was entertained, but the script is really shit. There was no resolution. By the time the denouement was underway I didn't yet realize that the climax had ended.

Spoiler!

Chiefs Pantalones 05-23-2013 08:52 PM

0-2 so far for me with summer blockbusters. I didn't really like IM3 and same with this movie. Hopefully Man of Steel gets the crappy taste out of my mouth and go 1-2.

Reaper16 05-23-2013 08:53 PM

To be fair, by "the script is really shit," I mean that it is really, truly terrible. This is a horrible movie.

Hammock Parties 05-23-2013 09:17 PM

Reaper, you're my boy.

The movie had absolutely zero emotional payoff.

Oh, Kirk died saving the Enterprise, and Spock had a generic fistfight and they captured Khan. Oh and Kirk was predictably resurrected?

Oh. Ok. Well, that was cool. I guess.

whoman69 05-23-2013 09:24 PM

Worst kept secret ever.

Buehler445 05-24-2013 07:41 AM

I saw it Sunday. I've been busy as ****, but I had some thoughts.

I really can't disagree with the haters, but I probably have lower standards than you guys. I liked (not necessarily loved) it. I had a big douchey grin on my face the whole time. I thought the story was good enough. They did a good job with the character development and of course the graphics were good.

I left entertained and that is what I paid for.

siberian khatru 05-24-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9704987)
To be fair, by "the script is really shit," I mean that it is really, truly terrible. This is a horrible movie.

I started out "meh," and I've been liking it less the more I've thought about it.

Reaper16 05-24-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9705958)
I started out "meh," and I've been liking it less the more I've thought about it.

Me too.

Abrams needs to learn that "making an alternate version of an already existing Star Trek story but reversing some character roles" does not make for a good idea. This whole movie was
Spoiler!

It really doesn't get any deeper than that.

Then there are the dozens of plot holes.
Spoiler!

I'm not even a Star Trek fan. I've probably seen less than twenty full episodes of TNG and the other series I've seen less than 5 full episodes of each. So I'm not having an angry fanboy reaction. I'm having an angry moviegoer reaction.

bowener 05-24-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9706728)
Me too.

Abrams needs to learn that "making an alternate version of an already existing Star Trek story but reversing some character roles" does not make for a good idea. This whole movie was
Spoiler!

It really doesn't get any deeper than that.

Then there are the dozens of plot holes.
Spoiler!

I'm not even a Star Trek fan. I've probably seen less than twenty full episodes of TNG and the other series I've seen less than 5 full episodes of each. So I'm not having an angry fanboy reaction. I'm having an angry moviegoer reaction.

I think somebody mentioned it in here, but I love how there was no mention of how death itself has now been cured in their world. And I am curious if Kirk will now be a superhuman in the following shit film.

Reaper16 05-24-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9706895)
I think somebody mentioned it in here, but I love how there was no mention of how death itself has now been cured in their world. And I am curious if Kirk will now be a superhuman in the following shit film.

He'd better not be. Or rather, only if that sick girl from the opening scene is. But, yeah, the world is ostensibly without death, a fact that will be completely forgotten about in the next one.

keg in kc 05-24-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9697690)
Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was not a good movie.

I still liked it.

In this case, the movie was an adaptation of a universe based on a set of stories, which had been re-imagined, remade, retold, and revamped dozens of times on film and television. There is no "hardcare" Sherlock Holmes fan (at least I have yet to meet one) that complained that those movies are hardly at all in the TRUE spirit of Sherlock Holmes, because the character and the setting has been done dozens of different ways.

Not so for Star Trek. Like it or not, there IS a standard that should at least be considered when doing these movies. You can recast it. Fine. You can change the course of events in the timeline. Uhh... okay, sure, why not? You can apply different roles and functions for each character and element. Excellent, that's exactly what you should be doing.

But you should NOT try to make a Frankenstein's monster of different lines and references all while uncreatively inversing the roles instead of changing them and creating something NEW.

That's the problem I have with it. That doesn't mean it wasn't fun and entertaining. But it doesn't mean it's a good movie.

This is something that seems to be lost here. Entertaining and good are mutually exclusive concepts. People are treating star trek like it's supposed to be high art or something. It's a summer popcorn movie. That's all. If it was high art, odds are not many of us would have seen it and this thread would be reaper talking to himself.

Frazod 05-24-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9706971)
He'd better not be. Or rather, only if that sick girl from the opening scene is. But, yeah, the world is ostensibly without death, a fact that will be completely forgotten about in the next one.

The transporter should be able to create unlimited exact duplicates of anything or anybody it transports, right down to their brain waives. So just download yourself into the pattern buffer once a week, and if you die, just have somebody beam out a new you. Sent anywhere in the galaxy instantly, apparently, with transwarp beaming. Why do we need ships again?

Super space blood is mild compared to that.

Reaper16 05-24-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9707044)
This is something that seems to be lost here. Entertaining and good are mutually exclusive concepts. People are treating star trek like it's supposed to be high art or something. It's a summer popcorn movie. That's all. If it was high art, odds are not many of us would have seen it and this thread would be reaper talking to himself.

I believe it was the great George Thorogood who once sang "You know when I watch art-house cinema, I prefer to be by myself."

DaneMcCloud 05-24-2013 06:29 PM

Smart Marketing 101: HBO (owned by Time-Warner, which owns Warner Brothers) is bombarding its channels with the 1978 Superman this month and into next.

Paramount? Not so much.

keg in kc 05-24-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9707316)
Smart Marketing 101: HBO (owned by Time-Warner, which owns Warner Brothers) is bombarding its channels with the 1978 Superman this month and into next.

Paramount? Not so much.

They've also saturated us with Trailers and TV ads. That movie's going to be huge I think.

(early word is that it's also very, very good)

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 9694734)
Par. is a marketing wasteland these days. They can't open a film domestically, meeting expectations, to save their lives. It is really strange.

The blame squarely lies with Sumner Redstone. Jonathan Dolgen and Sherri Lansing really brought the studio "back to life" and our music division was kicking all kinds of ass. Once Redstone let them go in 2004, the studio began to suffer and the music division was sold to Sony.

There were good people there during my tenure but I'm happy to have left when I did.

Bowser 05-25-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9707316)

Paramount? Not so much.

TNT is showing The Watchmen right now. Getting as much Zach Snyder publicity out there as they can.

I know Watchmen has its critics, but I loved the movie. Even edited for mainstream cable, the movie is good, and the visuals are fantastic.

Very stoked to see what he can do with the Supes story...

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9707470)
They've also saturated us with Trailers and TV ads. That movie's going to be huge I think.

(early word is that it's also very, very good)

My post was more to the point about Paramount's poor marketing (which I mentioned earlier in the thread). Paramount should have had the 2009 Star Trek movie on constantly airing on Showtime for 4-6 week prior to the release of Into Darkness in addition to channels like Spike TV, FX, etc.

Warner Brothers is doing it right: Paramount did not.

As to my box office receipt projections, Into Darkness was off by 56% from Friday to Friday, which is even more than my "optimistic" projection. It'll be interesting to see where they are on Monday night.

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9708610)
TNT is showing The Watchmen right now. Getting as much Zach Snyder publicity out there as they can.

I know Watchmen has its critics, but I loved the movie. Even edited for mainstream cable, the movie is good, and the visuals are fantastic.

Very stoked to see what he can do with the Supes story...

Snyder is absolutely amazing with visuals, so Man of Steel should be a treat. And since he didn't write the script, I'd imagine it will be a very good film as well.

I've heard the movie is excellent but I've done my absolute best to make sure I'm not spoiled in any way.

Bowser 05-25-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9708620)
Snyder is absolutely amazing with visuals, so Man of Steel should be a treat. And since he didn't write the script, I'd imagine it will be a very good film as well.

I've heard the movie is excellent but I've done my absolute best to make sure I'm not spoiled in any way.

Yeah, me too. I've avoided spoiler talk and websites as much as I possibly can, and made a decision to not watch any more trailers after the last one that was posted. Move just looks fan-freaking-tastic. I really really hope it lives up to expectations.

And you're right about Snyder - his visuals work alone made Sucker Punch worth watching. Well, that and the bevvy of hotness of his actresses.....

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9708627)
Yeah, me too. I've avoided spoiler talk and websites as much as I possibly can, and made a decision to not watch any more trailers after the last one that was posted. Move just looks fan-freaking-tastic. I really really hope it lives up to expectations.

And you're right about Snyder - his visuals work alone made Sucker Punch worth watching. Well, that and the bevvy of hotness of his actresses.....

Yeah, I'm excited about it, too! I mentioned in the official thread that it will likely be my first midnight showing in a decade. I probably won't be up for another until the new Star Wars movie is released.

Well, that is, if J.J. Abrams doesn't **** it up beforehand.

Hammock Parties 05-25-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9708629)
Well, that is, if J.J. Abrams doesn't **** it up beforehand.

I don't see how Abrams can screw up Star Wars.

It's really well suited for his style, and the bar was set low with the prequels.

keg in kc 05-25-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9708615)
My post was more to the point about Paramount's poor marketing (which I mentioned earlier in the thread). Paramount should have had the 2009 Star Trek movie on constantly airing on Showtime for 4-6 week prior to the release of Into Darkness in addition to channels like Spike TV, FX, etc.

Warner Brothers is doing it right: Paramount did not.

As to my box office receipt projections, Into Darkness was off by 56% from Friday to Friday, which is even more than my "optimistic" projection. It'll be interesting to see where they are on Monday night.

I know, I was agreeing with you.

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9708651)
I know, I was agreeing with you.

Ah, brain malfunction on my end

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9708649)
I don't see how Abrams can screw up Star Wars.

It's really well suited for his style, and the bar was set low with the prequels.

Well, hopefully, there will be enough people looking over his shoulder that he won't have an opportunity to screw it up. The good thing is that Orci, Kurtzman and the Assclown aren't involved in 7-9.

My fear is that they somehow weasel their way in to the stand alone's and trilogies that follow.

keg in kc 05-25-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9708662)
Well, hopefully, there will be enough people looking over his shoulder that he won't have an opportunity to screw it up. The good thing is that Orci, Kurtzman and the Assclown aren't involved in 7-9.

My fear is that they somehow weasel their way in to the stand alone's and trilogies that follow.

They've always been the problem. He's great at his end of the job. But the scripts always have issues.

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9708898)
They've always been the problem. He's great at his end of the job. But the scripts always have issues.

Personally, I think that Andrew Stanton would have been a better choice for Episode VII.

I realize that John Carter of Mars wasn't received well, but that's partially because there was too much source material for one single film. That and the fact that they tried to stay true to ERB's vision of Mars, which is different than it would be if it were imagined today.

IMO, he did an excellent job with the actors, especially the interaction of Carter and Tars Tarkas, played by Willem Dafoe. Because of his work in animation at Pixar, he was able to get the humans to emote with their voices only in such films as Finding Nemo and Wall-E, which led to very convincing scenes between humans and CGI aliens.

I'm very wary of Abrams ability to get his actors to be convincing when filming in front of a green screen, let alone to CGI characters such as R2D2, etc.

mnchiefsguy 05-27-2013 12:20 PM

Interesting. According to boxofficemojo.com, Star Trek will have a four day holiday weekend gross of 47 million, putting it just behind Hangover 3 for the weekend. Fast and Furious dominates with 120 million. Through 12 days of release, Into Darkness has now grossed almost the exact same amount as its predecessor, 155 million and change. In terms of drop off, that is about 33% compared to its four day opening of 71 million. That has to be a pleasing number to Paramount, dropping on 33% in a second weekend is an excellent number.

BigBeauford 05-27-2013 04:41 PM

A lot of that is word of mouth. I haven't run into anyone who has said anything negative about the movie. Most recommend seeing it. I rather enjoyed it.

Bowser 05-27-2013 08:10 PM

Saw it today. I wholeheartedly understand why the truists are upset at Abrams for this movie. For me, I look at it like this - Abrams and Co. have taken the literal universe of TOS Star Trek and re-shaped it for this line of telling, and I don't fault them for being lazy for telling this story like the way they have. These characters in these new movies are NOT the same characters from TOS. The happenings in their lives have molded them differently than their original timeline selves, obviously, and I for one enjoy seeing the differences in a brash Kirk and emotional Spock. It's the point of these movies - EVERYTHING IS NEW, nothing is as it was.

Spoiler!

This movie succeeds at being a fun, entertaining summer blockbuster movie. Also the theater I saw it in was absolutely jam packed. I'm curious what the gross number for the movie is after this weekend.

Frazod 05-27-2013 08:26 PM

It's been out for two weeks now. I think we can dispense with the spoiler tags at this point.

Bowser 05-27-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9713298)
It's been out for two weeks now. I think we can dispense with the spoiler tags at this point.

Probably a good idea. Almost did it, but didn't want anyone to start bitching and moaning.

Braincase 05-27-2013 08:36 PM

Saw it yesterday, made it a family event. I enjoy the reboot. Makes for more interesting twists, and I approach it from a "What the hell are they going to do next?" perspective. I hope and think Gene would've approved.

Bowser 05-27-2013 08:56 PM

How pissed would gochiefs have gotten if they ripped off the score from TWOK? :D

Hammock Parties 05-27-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9713346)
How pissed would gochiefs have gotten if they ripped off the score from TWOK? :D

They did worse, because Michael Giachino did an excellent job just ripping off his own score from the first film.

Bowser 05-27-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9713351)
They did worse, because Michael Giachino did an excellent job just ripping off his own score from the first film.

It's funny, becasue the that was one of the things I noticed immediately that (somewhat) annoyed me. The other? The sounds of the starships firing the weapons. Nothing looked or sounded like a phaser blast or torpedo strike. Of all the shit you listed that was wrong with the movie in your opinion, and those two things are the ones that annoyed me most.

DaneMcCloud 05-27-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9712480)
Interesting. According to boxofficemojo.com, Star Trek will have a four day holiday weekend gross of 47 million, putting it just behind Hangover 3 for the weekend. Fast and Furious dominates with 120 million. Through 12 days of release, Into Darkness has now grossed almost the exact same amount as its predecessor, 155 million and change. In terms of drop off, that is about 33% compared to its four day opening of 71 million. That has to be a pleasing number to Paramount, dropping on 33% in a second weekend is an excellent number.

I seriously doubt that it's "pleasing" considering Paramount spent an additional $40 million on Into Darkness.

mnchiefsguy 05-27-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9713418)
I seriously doubt that it's "pleasing" considering Paramount spent an additional $40 million on Into Darkness.

I should have said pleasantly surprised I suppose. I basically meant that Paramount should be happy that it sucked less week 2, and appears to be on pace now to come close to matching the original's gross. While not what Paramount wanted, they are at least not going to lose their shirt over it.

DaneMcCloud 05-27-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9713429)
I should have said pleasantly surprised I suppose. I basically meant that Paramount should be happy that it sucked less week 2, and appears to be on pace now to come close to matching the original's gross. While not what Paramount wanted, they are at least not going to lose their shirt over it.

But they're not going to make any money, either, which is the whole point of the exercise.

It's a cluster**** over there. Not that I care...

Reaper16 05-27-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9713262)
Saw it today. I wholeheartedly understand why the truists are upset at Abrams for this movie. For me, I look at it like this - Abrams and Co. have taken the literal universe of TOS Star Trek and re-shaped it for this line of telling, and I don't fault them for being lazy for telling this story like the way they have. These characters in these new movies are NOT the same characters from TOS. The happenings in their lives have molded them differently than their original timeline selves, obviously, and I for one enjoy seeing the differences in a brash Kirk and emotional Spock. It's the point of these movies - EVERYTHING IS NEW, nothing is as it was.

Spoiler!

This movie succeeds at being a fun, entertaining summer blockbuster movie. Also the theater I saw it in was absolutely jam packed. I'm curious what the gross number for the movie is after this weekend.

Nothing is actually new. Its all just rehash, cheap reversals, and fan service. IMO.

Bowser 05-27-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9713485)
Nothing is actually new. Its all just rehash, cheap reversals, and fan service. IMO.

The way I'm looking at it is that it is still the Trek Universe with all the pieces in place, but they are free to use any/all of it to their liking due to the continuum shift. A person could say that they are being lazy with their story telling while another could say that they are pretty smart for taking an established story, revamping it, and looking "original" in that sense? I mean, when we all heard that Khan was the protagonist, most of us thought of the Genesis story, not pre Space Seed. In that regard, it WAS original story telling, imho (but like I said, the Kirk/Spock reversal and the Khan scream were corny. I'll give you the "cheap reversals" point there).

Eh, maybe it's just the way I see it because I want to like the movie, nothing more.

AphexPhin 05-28-2013 01:33 AM

while I mildly enjoyed the first one, didnt really enjoy this one at all except for the villain who is also good as Sherlock Holmes.

And **** JJ Abrams. How does this asshole get to direct both Star Trek AND Star Wars?! No one man should have all that power imo. He will **** it up for sure. Hope I'm wrong but if the Star Trek sequel is any indication, the Star Wars reboot is gonna blow.

Tribal Warfare 05-28-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9713508)
The way I'm looking at it is that it is still the Trek Universe with all the pieces in place, but they are free to use any/all of it to their liking due to the continuum shift. A person could say that they are being lazy with their story telling while another could say that they are pretty smart for taking an established story, revamping it, and looking "original" in that sense? I mean, when we all heard that Khan was the antagonist, most of us thought of the Genesis story, not pre Space Seed. In that regard, it WAS original story telling, imho (but like I said, the Kirk/Spock reversal and the Khan scream were corny. I'll give you the "cheap reversals" point there).

Eh, maybe it's just the way I see it because I want to like the movie, nothing more.

FYP

AphexPhin 05-28-2013 01:41 AM

big time dissapointment. Oh well. The first one was pretty decent but this one sucked besides the Khan/Spock fight which I thought was well done.

And I said this in another thread but **** JJ Abrams. No one man should have all that power. You mean to tell me Hollywood couldnt find another ahole to direct the Star Wars reboot?! Come on man.

Braincase 05-28-2013 10:39 AM

One question - What kind of name is Benedict Cumberbatch? Sounds like the guy ought to be teaching Elementary Hygiene class at Hogwarts.

underEJ 05-28-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AphexPhin (Post 9713606)
big time dissapointment. Oh well. The first one was pretty decent but this one sucked besides the Khan/Spock fight which I thought was well done.

And I said this in another thread but **** JJ Abrams. No one man should have all that power. You mean to tell me Hollywood couldnt find another ahole to direct the Star Wars reboot?! Come on man.

When your head is up your ass, you can only see one asshole at a time?

DaneMcCloud 05-28-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AphexPhin (Post 9713600)
while I mildly enjoyed the first one, didnt really enjoy this one at all except for the villain who is also good as Sherlock Holmes.

And **** JJ Abrams. How does this asshole get to direct both Star Trek AND Star Wars?! No one man should have all that power imo. He will **** it up for sure. Hope I'm wrong but if the Star Trek sequel is any indication, the Star Wars reboot is gonna blow.

I know of another director that will be helming a Star Wars feature but he's tied up with a Pixar release (wink, wink).

Disney will be releasing a new Star Wars film every year for the foreseeable future.

J.J. Abrams is just the first to be announced.

Bowser 05-28-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9713602)
FYP

Yeah, that

keg in kc 05-28-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9714278)
I know of another director that will be helming a Star Wars feature but he's tied up with a Pixar release (wink, wink).

Disney will be releasing a new Star Wars film every year for the foreseeable future.

J.J. Abrams is just the first to be announced.

I know they wanted Brad Bird to do Episode 7, but he's tied up with Tomorrowland (which isn't Pixar). Andrew Stanton?

DaneMcCloud 05-28-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9714321)
I know they wanted Brad Bird to do Episode 7, but he's tied up with Tomorrowland (which isn't Pixar). Andrew Stanton?

Take it for what it's worth (and that this point, things could change) but I was told on Saturday by a very good source that A.S. has already begun work on a new Star Wars entry.

I don't know about any other details but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought he did a magnificent job with John Carter, especially given the source material.

I'm more excited about him than Abrams, who's shown me very little as a "human" director.

keg in kc 05-28-2013 01:14 PM

He's a name that makes some sense. Give him a chance to recoup his losses from John Carter.

(Everything about the marketing of that movie was wrong, btw, starting with calling it "John Carter")

Molitoth 05-28-2013 01:14 PM

I've NEVER watched any Star Trek my entire life. Trekkies would keeel me, I know.

But, I've just started going back and watching all of the movies in order. (Sorry, not doing the episodes...)

I thought the first movies plot was great! The second one, Wrath of Khan was so-so, and the Search for Spok was a little better. I'm getting ready to watch IV....

DaneMcCloud 05-28-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9714351)
He's a name that makes some sense. Give him a chance to recoup his losses from John Carter.

(Everything about the marketing of that movie was wrong, btw, starting with calling it "John Carter")

His biggest strength, IMO, was that the CGI alien/human interaction was believable. Granted, it's nice to have voice actors like Willem DaFoe, Samantha Morton and Thomas Haden Church, but that's also the reason why I think he'd be a great choice for Star Wars because he knows how to "humanize" characters, much like he did in Wall-E.

Unlike, ahem, J.J. Abrams (or George Lucas for that matter).

keg in kc 05-28-2013 02:59 PM

I think they need to do as much practical as possible, and lean as much as possible towards the art style of the original trilogy. The look of the prequels turned me off almost as much as the script, performance and direction.

Deberg_1990 05-28-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9714364)
His biggest strength, IMO, was that the CGI alien/human interaction was believable. Granted, it's nice to have voice actors like Willem DaFoe, Samantha Morton and Thomas Haden Church, but that's also the reason why I think he'd be a great choice for Star Wars because he knows how to "humanize" characters, much like he did in Wall-E.

Unlike, ahem, J.J. Abrams (or George Lucas for that matter).

They should bring in your buddy Turtletaub to direct one. He was part of the Disney stable for awhile.

DaneMcCloud 05-28-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9714712)
They should bring in your buddy Turtletaub to direct one. He was part of the Disney stable for awhile.

Eek.

DaneMcCloud 05-28-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9714652)
I think they need to do as much practical as possible, and lean as much as possible towards the art style of the original trilogy. The look of the prequels turned me off almost as much as the script, performance and direction.

That's what they're doing with the new animated series (supposedly, anyway).

Deberg_1990 05-28-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9714718)
Eek.

Heh, i liked National Treasure and Sorcerors Apprentice

Hammock Parties 05-28-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9714355)
The second one, Wrath of Khan was so-so

:spock:

siberian khatru 05-28-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9714652)

Totally agree.