ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs DeSean Jackson Is Officially A Redskin (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282722)

Titty Meat 04-02-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10533957)
Who exactly are we trying to immulate?

The Packers are hardly ever active in pillowbiterency and last time I looked, they do okay...

When did the packers trade 2 picks for a qb?

DaWolf 04-02-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10533925)
... and an owner who apparently is either a) unwilling; b) unable to use signing bonuses aggressively to bring in talent and manipulate/work around the salary cap.

The philosophy the organization has been and probably will continue to use based on what Green Bay has done, is to use the signing bonuses to reward and keep the players we want/need to keep, rather than bringing in outside talent, AKA Snyder and Jerry Jones. Thus the Hali contract, the Bowe contract, Charles, etc. Obviously with that philosophy, you better draft well, which we haven't done consistently over the years...

DaWolf 04-02-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10533975)

They traded a first for Favre...

Mr_Tomahawk 04-02-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10533975)

Why would they...?

Cassel or Rodgers...and Alex Smith was the best QB available last season in the draft and free agency. Whether you like what we spent on him or not...this regime went out and got the best QB available.

This regime is not aggressive...this place cries. The regime is aggressive, this place still cries.

duncan_idaho 04-02-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10533974)
Jesus Christ...at least wait till the end of the season to pass judgement and THEN say "See if we would have spent more monies..."

We haven't played a damn game yet....hell, the draft is still 5 weeks away and everyone is writing this team off already.

It's comical all of the chicken littles in this thread...

It's also comical how many Charlie Browns there are in this fanbase. Don't worry, Charlie. Lucy is NOT going to yank the football away this time!

It's not just one item or failing to sign one player. It's the extreme talent drain combined with complete inactivity or movement to replace any of those guys. The roster has become less talented when they're in a win now mode and needed to become MORE talented to do so.

Throw in that the schedule gets much, much tougher, and you have to be pretty homer-tastic to think this approach is going to work and lead to 2014 success.

But then again, you're CooCoo for CoCo Puffs over Tyler Bray, so maybe 'homer-tastic' fits.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-02-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10533990)
It's also comical how many Charlie Browns there are in this fanbase. Don't worry, Charlie. Lucy is NOT going to yank the football away this time!

It's not just one item or failing to sign one player. It's the extreme talent drain combined with complete inactivity or movement to replace any of those guys. The roster has become less talented when they're in a win now mode and needed to become MORE talented to do so.

Throw in that the schedule gets much, much tougher, and you have to be pretty homer-tastic to think this approach is going to work and lead to 2014 success.

But then again, you're CooCoo for CoCo Puffs over Tyler Bray, so maybe 'homer-tastic' fits.

I wouldn't call myself a homer...I was calling for Pioli's head a couple seasons in. I would like to think I am a bit more level-headed.

Again...I will wait and see what happens in the season before I pass judgement. Maybe Todd Pinkston is right in what he recently said about WR's in this offense. It can take a season and a half to fully understand it. The offense picked up in the last half of the season last year...maybe there is still room to improve.

...it's only been 1 season. Back away from the edge.

duncan_idaho 04-02-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 10533976)
The philosophy the organization has been and probably will continue to use based on what Green Bay has done, is to use the signing bonuses to reward and keep the players we want/need to keep, rather than bringing in outside talent, AKA Snyder and Jerry Jones. Thus the Hali contract, the Bowe contract, Charles, etc. Obviously with that philosophy, you better draft well, which we haven't done consistently over the years...

And there's the key point.

You can't compare the construction of the Chiefs to the construction of the Packers because the Packers have never been in a situation where they needed to add a large amount of playmaking talent to their team to have a chance to MAKE the playoffs.

Dorsey and Reid and Hunt are trying to win now. The patient Packers approach of building through the draft is a great way to win long term. But they need to add some band-aids in the interim (or the trade for Smith and the signing of all those second-tier FAs last year were wastes of a year).

I'll put it this way... Dorsey's first move was similar to trading a first for Brett Favre. The problem is that he hasn't backed it up by signing a FA (Reggie White) to fill a big hole and IMPROVE the roster.

saphojunkie 04-02-2014 10:11 AM

I do love the CP logic... Lambast for not spending a first round pick on a QB. Lambast for spending two second round picks on a QB.

Apparently, the sweet spot is a second and a fourth. Stupid Chiefs.

duncan_idaho 04-02-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10534000)
I wouldn't call myself a homer...I was calling for Pioli's head a couple seasons in. I would like to think I am a bit more level-headed.

Again...I will wait and see what happens in the season before I pass judgement. Maybe Todd Pinkston is right in what he recently said about WR's in this offense. It can take a season and a half to fully understand it. The offense picked up in the last half of the season last year...maybe there is still room to improve.

I'm not at the edge. I'm just occupying the cynical "Show me" territory the Chiefs have shuffled me into. This franchise has exhausted it's line of 'benefit of the doubt' credit with me.

I always wait and see. And when I think things are not going to work, I always hope that my thoughts are wrong.

In the interim, it's "call it as we see it" time for me and many others.

milkman 04-02-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10534017)
I do love the CP logic... Lambast for not spending a first round pick on a QB. Lambast for spending two second round picks on a QB.

No one is lambasting them for spending picks on the QB.

They are being lambasting them for spending those picks to apparently achieve respectability and nothing more.

duncan_idaho 04-02-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10534017)
I do love the CP logic... Lambast for not spending a first round pick on a QB. Lambast for spending two second round picks on a QB because you want to win now... post a (lucky) 11-win season and disappointing playoff loss, both factors that expose the need for some serious roster upgrades. Instead of adding talent, watch an exodus of talent from the roster. Relying on a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and two 6th round draft picks and bottom-barrel FA pickups to "upgrade" the roster.

Fixed your post.

The biggest problem here is the lack of consistency - and the contradiction - in approach from Year 1 to Year 2 of this regime.

BossChief 04-02-2014 10:27 AM

This team could have competed with anyone if they had found a way to sign Clemons to play free safety and Jackson to man the WR 2 spot.

Passing on those 2 opportunities is gonna hurt their chances of making the playoffs this year.

Watch.

Messier 04-02-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10534000)

Not only has it only been one season, but one successful season. Some fans have gone so far into everything sucks mode, that they think being reasonable is the same as being a huge homer.

WhiteWhale 04-02-2014 10:32 AM

How many of those complaining about Jackson also complain that Alex Smith can't throw deep and ALSO claim that Jackson is a 'perfect fit' for our offense?

I think a good chunk of you would complain about a pussy being too tight.

WhiteWhale 04-02-2014 10:36 AM

Also, LOL at the 'mass exodus of talent'. What a joke.

We lost Asomoah, Schwartz, McCluster, Kendrick Lewis, and the great Tyson Jackson... OH NOEZ!! What will we DOOO?!

The best player we lost was Albert, and the offense operated no worse when he was injured than it did when he played.

Drama queens.