ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

Jewish Rabbi 03-19-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rumored Profar--Oscar Tavarez deal "has not been discussed" according to involved GM. but if Boras didn't represent Andrus would it be?</p>&mdash; Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="https://twitter.com/pgammo/status/314193243300577280">March 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
First I'd heard mention of anything like this. Thoughts?

DJ's left nut 03-19-2013 08:38 PM

Saw that; can't imagine there's any validity to it.

Jewish Rabbi 03-19-2013 08:40 PM

I don't know that I'd even be happy about that deal, even though we are desperate for a SS.

BigRedChief 03-20-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9514982)
I don't know that I'd even be happy about that deal, even though we are desperate for a SS.

Not that desperate.

Best prospect since Pujols and we trade him? You don't trade someone who has the HOF as a potential ceiling for a year and a half of another player.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2013 08:59 PM

Shelby's the #5 and Cedeno got red tagged.

Kozma...we ride together; we die together.

BigRedChief 03-20-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9517173)
Shelby's the #5 and Cedeno got red tagged.

Kozma...we ride together; we die together.

Surely kozma can hit better than the .200 that Cedeno would have hit.

DJ's left nut 03-21-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9517169)
Not that desperate.

Best prospect since Pujols and we trade him? You don't trade someone who has the HOF as a potential ceiling for a year and a half of another player.

Why would you only get a year and a half from Profar?

He's every bit the prospect O-Tav is and you would have him for 6 years. In a system flush with corner OF bats, why not try to allocate an OFer for a SS?

Pepe Silvia 03-21-2013 12:26 PM

Finally someone bumped this thread, been looking everywhere for it.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9517177)
Surely kozma can hit better than the .200 that Cedeno would have hit.

Kozma had a slash line of .232/292/.355 in AAA last year.

You hope that he can give you league average defense and hit about 12 homers. A .700 OPS would be a ****ing miracle.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9518292)
Why would you only get a year and a half from Profar?

He's every bit the prospect O-Tav is and you would have him for 6 years. In a system flush with corner OF bats, why not try to allocate an OFer for a SS?

Conflated Profrar with Andrus.

DJ's left nut 03-21-2013 01:54 PM

It's an interesting trade offer in that it really does work extremely well for both sides.

But man oh man, you'd better trust the hell out of your scouts.

Profar's ceiling on offense is probably not as high as O-Tavs, but it's close. I actually like his approach more than I like Tavaraez's. But Tavarez has the body and bat whip to be a big time middle of the order hitter with outstanding contact skills.

As a run producer, I don't care about your BB rate if you're still commanding the strike zone. Tavarez seems to do that nicely. But ultimately, he's still just a corner OFer. If you can get a 25/25 SS with a plus glove, that's as valuable as a 40 HR OFer. Or at least damn close. And in a system with a lot of guys that can hit but very few that can play SS, it's a trade you have to consider.

I'd rather trade Holliday for Andrus, but I don't see that happening.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2013 02:04 PM

Taveras is a safer bet, but he gives you less surplus value. I'd roll w/ Oscar.

Try and move Adams and an arm for Hardy at the deadline when the Orioles are 12 back.

DJ's left nut 03-21-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9518626)
Taveras is a safer bet, but he gives you less surplus value. I'd roll w/ Oscar.

Try and move Adams and an arm for Hardy at the deadline when the Orioles are 12 back.

I'd rather have Adams and Profar than O-Tav and Hardy.

Adams is going to be a .280 hitter w/ 30 HR power in short order. I wouldn't trade him straight up for Hardy and I damn sure wouldn't include an arm.

All that kid has done at every level he's ever been at is mash the ball.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9518660)
I'd rather have Adams and Profar than O-Tav and Hardy.

Adams is going to be a .280 hitter w/ 30 HR power in short order. I wouldn't trade him straight up for Hardy and I damn sure wouldn't include an arm.

All that kid has done at every level he's ever been at is mash the ball.

Where is he going to play? Craig just got extended, Taveras is going to right in all likelihood. Unless you want to use Taveras as the 70% RFer, 20% CFer, 10% LF, with Craig spelling occasional time at a COF spot and Adams filling in there.

DJ's left nut 03-21-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9518669)
Where is he going to play? Craig just got extended, Taveras is going to right in all likelihood. Unless you want to use Taveras as the 70% RFer, 20% CFer, 10% LF, with Craig spelling occasional time at a COF spot and Adams filling in there.

Well in my scenario, Taveras has gone to Texas so Craig goes straight into RF in the long term. Short term, with 648 games to play between LF/CF/RF and 1b, You could use slide Craig to 1b when needed and Beltran to CF when needed and get 130 games out of each of them if you so chose. Giving each of those guys a day off/wk isn't a bad idea at all. Craig, Jay and Holliday all have a tendency to get banged up and Beltran completely ran out of gas.

And in the process, you could give Adams a chance to establish legitimate trade value. I'm not a fan of trading him for 1.5 years of Hardy. If he shows that he can be a hitter at this level, he's probably a 2-3 WAR player pretty easily; that's a $12 million asset on the open market; it's worth more than JJ Hardy.

I have no interest in trading low on Matt Adams when we have places for him to play.