ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ****THE OFFICIAL DRAFT TYLER BRAY THREAD**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269117)

chiefzilla1501 01-21-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9338385)
What's going to be interesting is how in the last several years the "intangibles" have matter more than the physical in this offseason stuff to QB's.

By the way, I agree with this. NFL players have to have a certain base physical skill set. But let's be real here, unless you have ungodly, unique talent like Big Ben does, the biggest predictor of NFL success will be how much work you're willing to put in, how well you respond to coaching, and how well you can lead your team.

Plenty of very talented QBs who were missing one of those three things. Tyler Bray scares me because he's probably missing all 3.

RUSH 01-21-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9338721)
If we're talking about upsides....
Geno Smith is Aaron Rodgers
Matt Barkley is Christian Ponder
Tyler Bray is Jay Cutler
Tyler Wilson is Matt Stafford

Umm... yeah, there shouldn't be any debate that our guy is Geno.

Barkley's upside is Ponder? That's complete horseshit.

I'm not the biggest Barkley fan and he had a down year, but he's a much better prospect than Ponder was and I'll even say he's better than Ponder right now.

If I had to choose an upside for him, I'd say Rivers or Romo.

Saul Good 01-21-2013 10:52 AM

I'd compare Barkley to Chad Pennington more than Ponder.

Manila-Chief 01-21-2013 10:57 AM

A disclaimer ... I want a QBOTF out of this draft. I'm afraid we will not get one because Dorsey has made it clear he will stay true to his board and "not jump a player." I know I'm not qualified to draft a QB, but from my limited knowledge, I want Geno. I think he will best fit Andy's offense.

Therefore, in the spirit of the OP ... the question is what are the chances of finding a QBOTF in the 2nd. - 7th. rounds? After watching most of the NFC game yesterday, a couple things stand out.
1. Miami & St. Loser passed on Matt Ryan for a lineman ... I think because of BPA. Seems to me we just might repeat this fatal action?
2. But, Kaepernick out played Ryan. So, how do we find our Colin? http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...1/quarterbacks had him ranked 7th. QB and 57th. over all. First, that tells me to pay absolutely no attention to that turkey. 2nd. maybe we hired the wrong GM ... maybe the guy from San Fran can evaluate QB's better? They traded up to draft him. 3rd. it takes an excellent coach to "coach up" a later round pick, and to know when to play him.

So the question is ... who is the #7 ranked QB this year or our copy of Russel Wilson ... BTW couldn't find where Scouts, INC rated him.

As I have said, I don't have faith that Dorsey (who will have the final say) will select a QB in the 1st. ... therefore it's a crap shoot if we will ever have a true #1 QB.

chiefzilla1501 01-21-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSH (Post 9338767)

I'm not the biggest Barkley fan and he had a down year, but he's a much better prospect than Ponder was and I'll even say he's better than Ponder right now.

That's fair.I do think Ponder and Barkley walk in with very similar pedigrees. Both were drafted for leadership and X's and O's, both have arm injuries that limit draft stock, and both have arms that keep them from making all the NFL throws. But you're right that Barkley has a lot more proven experience in the X's and O's, and very good experience at that.

I'm not a fan of the Rivers and Romo comparisons, because it doesn't factor in attitude or leadership. Barkley's attitude is much better. Come to think of it, this is a tough one. Maybe Hasselbeck is more appropriate.

chiefzilla1501 01-21-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9338796)
I'd compare Barkley to Chad Pennington more than Ponder.

I was thinking the same thing. But Barkley has a much better arm, and Pennington has much better downfield accuracy (even if he can't make all the downfield throws).

KurtCobain 01-21-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9338825)
That's fair.I do think Ponder and Barkley walk in with very similar pedigrees. Both were drafted for leadership and X's and O's, both have arm injuries that limit draft stock, and both have arms that keep them from making all the NFL throws. But you're right that Barkley has a lot more proven experience in the X's and O's, and very good experience at that.

I'm not a fan of the Rivers and Romo comparisons, because it doesn't factor in attitude or leadership. Barkley's attitude is much better. Come to think of it, this is a tough one. Maybe Hasselbeck is more appropriate.

it's a tough one because there's nobody good to compare him to.

dallaschiefsfan 01-21-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manila-Chief (Post 9338813)
A disclaimer ... I want a QBOTF out of this draft. I'm afraid we will not get one because Dorsey has made it clear he will stay true to his board and "not jump a player." I know I'm not qualified to draft a QB, but from my limited knowledge, I want Geno. I think he will best fit Andy's offense.

Therefore, in the spirit of the OP ... the question is what are the chances of finding a QBOTF in the 2nd. - 7th. rounds? After watching most of the NFC game yesterday, a couple things stand out.
1. Miami & St. Loser passed on Matt Ryan for a lineman ... I think because of BPA. Seems to me we just might repeat this fatal action?
2. But, Kaepernick out played Ryan. So, how do we find our Colin? http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...1/quarterbacks had him ranked 7th. QB and 57th. over all. First, that tells me to pay absolutely no attention to that turkey. 2nd. maybe we hired the wrong GM ... maybe the guy from San Fran can evaluate QB's better? They traded up to draft him. 3rd. it takes an excellent coach to "coach up" a later round pick, and to know when to play him.

So the question is ... who is the #7 ranked QB this year or our copy of Russel Wilson ... BTW couldn't find where Scouts, INC rated him.

As I have said, I don't have faith that Dorsey (who will have the final say) will select a QB in the 1st. ... therefore it's a crap shoot if we will ever have a true #1 QB.

IMO, this is a case of false linkage. Kaepernick wasn't exactly lights out yesterday. SF's running game was solid...more at the top of their game than the passing game. Ryan clearly played better in the stat line. SF's defense...while not having their best game at all...rose to the occasion and took care of business when it had to. Atlanta's D took a crap. I don't think any of this makes much of a case for looking for "our Kaepernick".

silver5liter 01-21-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

. Barkley doesn't have close to their arm strength

fairladyZ 01-21-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9339001)
. Barkley doesn't have close to their arm strength

barkley's arm is alot stronger than people give him credit for. Everything i've watched his arm is closer to geno's than people like to think

ToxSocks 01-21-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

This. People severly underestimate him. Must be a USC thing.

RunKC 01-21-2013 12:17 PM

Matt Barkley's upside is Christian Ponder? What?

I guess he should just retire now then LMAO

ChiefsCountry 01-21-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9338578)
He won't clear medically after being injured so bad that he couldn't compete and play for over two months.

He was out a month which is a standard shoulder injury time frame.

Titty Meat 01-21-2013 12:24 PM

Bradford didn't even play a full game his last season in college and still was drafted #1. Barkley is a better player.

ChiefsCountry 01-21-2013 12:26 PM

Matt Barkley got hurt November 24, the last USC game was December 31. Don't know how you get 2 months out of that but whatever floats your boat.