ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Next GM Short-List: Who's your pick and why? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265883)

Chiefs Pantalones 11-21-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9138696)
Everybody talks about drafting a QB because we haven't done it since 1983.

Well, I've come around to the thinking of guys like Petro and others. I personally think we should hire the COACH first and let him have some say in who we get as GM.

We've tried the other way for the better part of 40 years and it hasn't worked. The last time we had a coach with as much or more power than the GM (Stram), we won it all.

Great post. 100% agreed

The Franchise 11-21-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Well, I've come around to the thinking of guys like Petro and others. I personally think we should hire the COACH first and let him have some say in who we get as GM.

We've tried the other way for the better part of 40 years and it hasn't worked. The last time we had a coach with as much or more power than the GM (Stram), we won it all.

So....IYO.....who should we bring in at HC? And who do you think they would realistically bring in for a GM?

htismaqe 11-21-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9139177)
So....IYO.....who should we bring in at HC? And who do you think they would realistically bring in for a GM?

I havent' done a whole lot of research yet so the only guy I know of off the top of my head that fits my criteria is Andy Reid.

The Franchise 11-21-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9063081)

Think maybe Reid would bring this guy?

bevischief 11-21-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9139199)

I could live with this setup.

whoman69 11-21-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9138383)
THIS

Although Dick Steinberg, Terry Bradway and Matt Millen should be considered for the GM position.

Is this opposite day? The Chiefs should have a do not contact order with Millen. Absolutely the worst GM in NFL history.

Woodchuck 11-24-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9135560)
The 2012 Chiefs lack talent. Only homers think we have talent.

You're gonna lose the Dex bet. :)

Yep.:thumb:

milkman 11-24-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

I don't believe the structure matters as much as the people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9138716)
Clark says he wants to emulate the Steelers. Since the glory years of the 1970's, how many of their GMs can you name? One?

Look all around the NFL at the successful teams and the coaches are equal too or slightly above the GM in terms of say...

Jerry Reece and Tom Coughlin.
Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.
Micky Loomis and Sean Payton
Bill Polian and Tony Dungy

Not opposed to the idea of a different structure, but your claim is off the mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9139191)
I havent' done a whole lot of research yet so the only guy I know of off the top of my head that fits my criteria is Andy Reid.

Oh....Hell no.

mcaj22 11-24-2012 09:05 AM

if its not Chip Kelly or Bruce Arians and it has to be a veteran coach I'd take Andy Reid and his GMing/FO over any of those potential other retread/vet coaches and the Bill Polian type control GMs that come with that.

I'd be happy with any of those 3. All 3 I feel would be the best at player development and that is pretty much what we need right now

Molitoth 11-24-2012 11:38 AM

A head coach should be able to pick the guys he wants to coach. Therefor we need to hire the HC first and have them select a GM they want to take care of the business side.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-24-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 9063109)
Intriguing choice. Giants have been solid for a while now.

Sounds like a winner to me.

whoman69 11-24-2012 01:50 PM

I think both models can work. If you hire a coach who has a strong personnel sense then he should run everything except the contracts and the scouting. If you don't have that then you better rely more on a GM. I don't like the idea of a GM/coach as they flame out rather quickly.

DaneMcCloud 11-24-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9145874)
A head coach should be able to pick the guys he wants to coach. Therefor we need to hire the HC first and have them select a GM they want to take care of the business side.

No. No, no, no, no, no.

DaneMcCloud 11-24-2012 01:57 PM

JFC, people, you hire a head coach to assemble a coaching staff that fits his vision of the football team.

You hire a General Manager to hire regional and national scouts, a director of college scouting and a director of pro personnel to aquire the best players possible to fit the head coach's scheme.

It's not the other way around. Andy Reid is the most proof that coaches with personnel decision don't do either job well. Jimmy Johnson in Miami is another example.

The Team President runs the marketing and business side of the operations.

As for Pittsburgh, Dick Haley ran the personnel in the 70's and 80's, Tom Donohoe and Tom Modrak in the 90's and Kevin Colbert since the early part of 2000.

DaneMcCloud 11-24-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9139199)

Mueller licked ass with the Dolphins and Saints.

Andy Reid can **** off. If he's hired in Kansas City, I'm cancelling Sunday Ticket. He's a disaster at this point and needs a few years off to recover emotionally from the death of his son this past summer.